Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2012
Ipswich, Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Before resorting to listing this nice power amp over on eBay I will offer it here and elsewhere at a reduced price of just £900 plus postage.

Up for sale is my Hypex Based Apollon Audio Class D power amp.

Having tried a succession of solid state and hybrid power amps over my 40+ years obsession with this hobby I had the itch around 3 years ago to try a decent Class D power amp and shortlisted the Nord One Up and Apollon Audio NC800 SL which were both based on Hypex NC500 modules and looked similar and offered the same efficiency and enormous power ratings. The Apollon version was more expensive and when questionned they explained that the Nord did not have the additional control board used by Apollon to control the soft start and standby mode of the smps modules intended to reduce thumps through the speakers when the amplifier is switched on and off. They also indicated that they used bigger and better components on their input buffer boards.

I decided to pay a little more and go with the Apollon and this one was bought October 2018 and so is approaching 3 years old.

It comprises:-

- black 10mm aluminium faceplate
- black aluminium feet
- ETI binding posts
- Neutrik XLR only

Components:

Hypex SMPS1200A700 (2 pcs.)
Hypex Ncore NC500 amplifier (2 pcs.)
Apollon Audio Input Buffer Board (2 pcs.)
Apollon Audio control board for standby control
Sonic Imagery 994 op amp
Neutrik gold plated XLR line input sockets (2 pcs.)
ETI-RESEARCH BP-20C binding posts (4 pcs.)
Neotech UP-OCC 14AWG Solid Copper Speaker output wire
High quality fused mains input socket with power ON/OFF button
Aluminium enclosure with anti-vibration aluminium feet

It is in excellent cosmetic and operational condition and has performed faultlessly throughout. I have been impressed with the sound quality it offers and the effortless power and control it provides. It was directly compared with a very well regarded Class A/B power amp I had at the time which I was happy to sell in favour of keeping the Apollon.

Having owned this amplifier for a period of time I am once again cursed with the need to experiment and try something else. If I remember correctly, this amplifier retailed at around £1650 when I bought it. It is still possible to buy new from Apollon in virtually the same configuration at a price of 1890 euros plus 50 euros shipping plus import duty/handling charges.

I would like £1050 for this one plus postage. I do have the original shipping box. Now £900 plus postage

I also purchased and fitted a Synergistic Research Blue internal fuse (£130) in this amplifier. It now has the original fuse back in place but I would be happy to include the SR fuse for an additional £50 if the buyer would like to have it.

Any questions please ask. Collection from Ipswich, Suffolk also welcomed. Thanks for looking.

ApFront.jpg

Rear2.1.jpg

ApRear1.jpg

Fuse1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hifinutt

Sondekker

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2012
Ipswich, Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for posting this link.

I had never heard of the whatsbestforum before but having now opened the link and browsed the content it was encouraging to see the positive comments about Apollon's top amplifier when compared with Nord's equivalent and the rather heady comparisons with the traditional Krell monoblocs.

Although not so well known here in the UK it was evident that Apollon are well regarded where they are better known. I also found the subsequent technical contribution from Apollon's owner/designer useful in giving me the clear impression that he knows what he is doing with Apollon's range of hand-built Class D amplifiers.

Cheers, much appreciated.

Sondekker

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2012
Ipswich, Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Should anyone be mildly curious or possibly interested in this rather nice power amp it is perhaps worth pointing out that it offers the following power outputs:-

400W into 8ohms per channel
700W into 4ohms per channel
550W into 2ohms per channel

In my system this power was delivered effortlessly and with pleasing grace and detail.

Balanced inputs only, however, I could throw in a pair of Neutrik XLR to RCA adapters to enable use with single ended interconnects.

Sondekker

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2012
Ipswich, Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In my system running a pair of Russell K 150SE's which are 86dB efficiency (I think) I've never really noticed or checked. If I recall, on a few occasions when turning the power amp off after a listening session I don't remember the casework being anything other than warm to the touch.

Reactions: philb36

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles