Other FS: Leak Stereo 20 - A serviced stunner ;-)

Other

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This amp neds no introduction of course - this one is in beautiful condition all but a scratch to the front as photographed. it's been re-built with real skill and precision and you are invited to drool over the photographs to this 😉. It of course sounds stunning. This came with Mullard EL84 and GZ34 when I bought it but these didn't measure well so I replaced them with Genelex Gold Lion (my valves of choice as far as current production is concerned). I have the boxes for these. The signal valves are Mullards.

Asking £950 collected, I'm 8 miles east of Nottingham . Price is firm and I believe fair, and if unsold there's room in the wardrobe !

Any no obligation dem. is welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Lokes

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Aardvark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is the 100 ohm power resistor

( R21 )

near the mains transformer still 3 watts ?

Reactions: Ian

Lokes

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Aardvark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
 It's the white rssistor circled,

the original would've been green,  it's designed to desolder itself to save the power transformer in the event of a fault.

Sometimes they are replaced with a higher value which negates their purpose

20211121_103151.png

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Heard this one myself at Ian’s place, sounded awesome via his P3ESR or my LS3/5a. Made my Fred Astaire LP turn into a time machine! 

In a few years time people will be kicking themselves they didn’t grab a Leak 20 at today’s prices. GLWTS 

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
 It's the white rssistor circled,
the original would've been green,  it's designed to desolder itself to save the power transformer in the event of a fault.
Sometimes they are replaced with a higher value which negates their purpose
1671556108235.png
That's a tidy rebuild and lovely condition, someone will be happy. [emoji16]
Re. 3W resistor it's a 50p component and any tech can sub in 10 minutes. And yes, if it is greater than 3W rating (it looks to be) it should be replaced with a 3W wire-wound resistor, and the wires should not be wrapped around the tags either so it can fall off if it overheats.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lokes

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm giving this sale a solitary bump before restoring this Leak with its friends in the wardrobe of hi-fi 😉.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ian - is this the Stereo 20 once partnered by Disarmament's DIY Buffer + Rod Elliot RIAA stage?

Jack
Hi jack, Certainly not whilst in my ownership - I bought this away from the 'wam early this year. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lokes

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Aardvark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For anyone tempted,

these are a great match for a passive preamp, pot , stepped attenuator or TVC.

I've run mine with a number of speakers and can't recall it ever running out of steam, those 10 watts per channel go further than you'd imagine.

Tube and cap rolling are easy and worthwhile, a lot of amps have come and gone since I've had mine including the TL12+ monos, to my ears the Stereo 20 just edged it. 

• Upvote
Reactions: Nagraboy and Ian

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
....lot of amps have come and gone since I've had mine including the TL12+ monos, to my ears the Stereo 20 just edged it. 
Don't say that I'm potentially letting it go as I have the 12+ monos ! 🙃

Lokes

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Aardvark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think at the time my Stereo 20 was probably tweaked and the TL12+ amps maybe less so.

The 20 went to a mate as I picked up another with a Border Patrol supply, I went mad with that one,

V caps, vishay bulk foils, Ampohm paper in oils and Black Gate Heart of Muse supply caps

( the supply caps are probably worth as much as the amp :) )

Throw in a full set of Mullards including an MC1 in the input position and it sounds more than respectable.

Pre was a Promitheus  TVC,

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Given this hasn't sold I've just taken it back out of the system to put back in storage so I can play with something else. I find I'm sort of relieved it didn't sell, it's such a beautiful thing.

I dare say I'll have to live with this as well as the 12+ monos. My life is awful 😭.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles