Fuji news

fordy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 29, 2006
Wirral, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just read over on a Fuji Rumors that the new XF 10-24 f/4 OIS lens has been announced and will be available in March. Having just sold my 14mm as a favour to someone I now have an unexpected decision to make.

I also see there's an interview too with a Fuji manager that says some interesting things.

- X-Pro1 looks set to continue as the flagship for some time yet, getting further software updates

- they are very committed to this software update strategy

- new software again for X-Pro1 and X-E1 should come in a few days in fact

- they think 16MP is enough but may offer more pixels in the future (bowing to market demand I suppose)

- they won't be doing a FF body, at least any time soon and it looks like it's because it would need to have yet another lens lineup.

Nothing I hear stops me thinking that the future holds an flagship X-Pro2 with big megapixel APS-C sized organic sensor :p . The huge investment in the X-mount lenses suggests to me a very long term strategy in APS-C sized sensors.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was thinking about this too since you posted elsewhere and I'm sure your right. If they claim Medium format type quality from a sensor around micro 4/3rds size (which is how I think it will roughly pan out) then APS-C is plenty and 16mp plenty to produce the goods. 16mp also means the current lenses are not going to look inadequate (look at Nikon's problems finding lenses that REALLY do justice to the D800E sensor). I'm guessing an organic sensored X series will become the flagship, but the real money will be made using the org tech in much smaller sensors and esp in smart phone cams. Now if they manage to get those to say current APSC standards, it's by by compact cameras?

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was thinking about this too since you posted elsewhere and I'm sure your right. If they claim Medium format type quality from a sensor around micro 4/3rds size (which is how I think it will roughly pan out) then APS-C is plenty and 16mp plenty to produce the goods. 16mp also means the current lenses are not going to look inadequate (look at Nikon's problems finding lenses that REALLY do justice to the D800E sensor). I'm guessing an organic sensored X series will become the flagship, but the real money will be made using the org tech in much smaller sensors and esp in smart phone cams. Now if they manage to get those to say current APSC standards, it's by by compact cameras?
Not unless they can get a fast aperture standard zoom to match.

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
I think that we're already saying good-bye to the compact camera. I know maybe one or two people who have them and I'm not sure that either of those really needs one given the quality of cameras on mobile telephones now. APSC works well in the Fuji segment; they're discreet, portable cameras with good glass and not competing with the D800 or 6D.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes HHM. I was discussing the rumoured Fuji 'organic' sensor tho, and it's claims, which, if true, put the IQ of a 4/3rds sized sensor equal to current 24mpx+ FF sensors, and since the price of a D610 and an X Pro 1 are in the same bracket, it certainly is competing. They may look different, but they both appeal to serious amateur snappers I think?

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
The image quality is close enough for me not to be able to tell the difference though the depth of field control and the focusing system (excepting the XE2) aren't comparable. The Fuji range wins on discretion. Shooting 'street' at f/8 makes depth of field irrelevant but it would have relevance for others. There will be some overlap but I think they're for very different customers.

The Fuji are really a modern Contax G series and none the worse for that.

fordy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 29, 2006
Wirral, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fuji Rumors is in full swing again on the run up to the new X-T1 ‘70’s SLR lookey-likey’ camera announcement at the end of the month.

http://www.fujirumors.com/x-t1-no-double-sd-card-slot-but-super-fast-writing-speed-uhs-ii-and-8fps-with-af-tracking/

It’s been rumored for some time that it’s weather sealed and has got a bigger, brighter and high res EVF than even the X-E2 but the latest is that it’s got a 8fps burst (with continuous tracking), ultra fast card write speeds (with the latest breed of UHS-II SD cards, whatever they are) and stellar AF performance. Early marketing teasers seem to suggest something like IR focus assist lights but it’s not clear quite what the adverts are suggesting. Maybe, just maybe, they are about to spring something special onto the market. Fingers crossed.

S

s2000db

Hmmm that looks very interesting, I think I'll hold off on the X-E2 for a few weeks...

fordy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 29, 2006
Wirral, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I quite liked this very honest warts and all vid review of the X-Pro1 WITH the software updates. He's quite enthusiastic obviously but does compare using it briefly to a Nikon D300.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Qw9ujmzU9PQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
My XE2 is probably the best move I made, brilliant camera and the new firmware with chrome and ipad control of the xe2 just finishes it off for me.

as much as I want an x100s to say I own one (LOL) the xe2 makes the purchase unnecessary.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the link to the review, Carl. Enjoyed watching it. Good review I thought, he clearly likes the camera very much but makes it clear as to its foibles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles