Fun fun fun

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
no, not a new menu choice at the local chinese takeaway, but what it was like last night listening to some some second hand vinyl purchases picked up at the weekend.

best of the lot was clearly Boney M - Nightflight to Venus. Was grinning throughout and dancing round the living room with my girlfriend. total and utter quality and a huge dose of fun. and vinyl bloody boogies:eek:j:.

little mikey jackson was sounding great onthriller, and the communards were just wonderful - so much passion in those songs and mr somerville is an incredible singer.

still to come
00001664.gif.f3a6986ade705efb256520e3dde6edd1.gif
:

frankie goes tohollywood album andtwo 12" singes with different mixes (relax, two tribes)

bananarama - greatest hits

terence trent d'arby - the hardline according to... (i'm hoping my memory of this isn't rose-tinted:Not Sure:)

abba - voulez vous

bronski beat

2 yazoo albums

and to add some class, an EMI double album of Edith Piaf songs.

must admit that after I left the charity shop I was wondering about whether I am harbouring some latent homosexuality given my prefered purchases of80s gay bands (frankie, communards/bronski beat, yazoo) and gayfavourites Boney M and Abba. Used to steal the tapes from my older sister when I was a teenager. Then reality kicked back and I remembered that actually it's just that the music is brilliant, not any underlying sexual yearnings:D. I think:lwink:.

M

murray johnson

Sounds like the Systemdek's cookin'

You need to find some Rose Royce & Gladys Knight next! Both very fine.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anthony wrote:

must admit that after I left the charity shop I was wondering about whether I am harbouring some latent homosexuality given my prefered purchases of80s gay bands (frankie, communards/bronski beat, yazoo) and gayfavourites Boney M and Abba. Used to steal the tapes from my older sister when I was a teenager. Then reality kicked back and I remembered that actually it's just that the music is brilliant, not any underlying sexual yearnings:D. I think:lwink:.
'slong as it was just the tapes and not the contents of her wardrobe
wink.png
though even that can be excused if you grabbed a hairbrush to use as a pretend mic to sing "first I was afraid, I was petrified...."
wink.png

<goes off to find a copy of "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert>
costumed-smiley-088.gif.0d430dec15178e12a2ae10e497cd4e9e.gif

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
kennyk wrote:

Anthony wrote:
wink.png
though even that can be excused if you grabbed a hairbrush to use as a pretend mic to sing "first I was afraid, I was petrified...."
wink.png

errmm, no it can't. but happy for you tocontinue justifying it to yourself
wink.png

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
murray johnson wrote:

Sounds like the Systemdek's cookin'You need to find some Rose Royce & Gladys Knight next! Both very fine.
yeah, it certainly was last night. for some reason the whole system was just kicking arse big time
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

will try a Direct Drive at some point in the future to compare, probably follow purplepleaser's route with an SP10.

Rose Royce and Gladys Knight will be searched for:). thanks for the suggestion.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anthony wrote:

kennyk wrote:
Anthony wrote:
wink.png
wink.png

wink.png
hang on. I'm not the one with Boney M, Michael Jackson and Terence Trendy Tadpole in my record collection
tongue.png

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
kennyk wrote:

Anthony wrote:
kennyk wrote:
Anthony wrote:
wink.png
wink.png

wink.png
hang on. I'm not the one with Boney M, Michael Jackson and Terence Trendy Tadpole in my record collection
tongue.png
oh yeah:doh:

biggrin.png

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a funny old thing. I can remember walking out of an Xmas Party back end 1979 with Boney M ringing in my ears reflecting on how over about 3 years music had completely gone to seed. Of course all imo - and I'm very opinionated about music - but this thread hs only served to bring home to me why the 80s are for the most part best avoided.

Sorry Anthony I'm still glad you enjoyed your evening!

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Strat wrote:

It's a funny old thing. I can remember walking out of an Xmas Party back end 1979 with Boney M ringing in my ears reflecting on how over about 3 years music had completely gone to seed. Of course all imo - and I'm very opinionated about music - but this thread hs only served to bring home to me why the 80s are for the most part best avoided. Sorry Anthony I'm still glad you enjoyed your evening!
no need to apologise for your opinions/preferences
smile.png
. in away I was expecting plenty of people to slate the stuff.Subconciously I probably wrote the message- just in case others may have forgotten this stuff and thought it due for a dust-off to re-evaluate whether they still like/don't like it.

was 1979 the last time youproperly listened toBoney M? Maybe you should give it another go:D. It's hilarious.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
kennyk wrote:

bet you've got a lot of erasure as well...
not as keen on erasure even though it was that vince person who was in yazoo as well. i do have a pet shop boys and soft cell bests of though.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anthony wrote:

was 1979 the last time youproperly listened toBoney M? Maybe you should give it another go:D. It's hilarious.
well i never listened to it at all really - not my thing but I do remember my Dad's reaction to the "Show Me a Motion" line............."what the bloody hell is that all about - who would want to see a Motion!"Yeah hilarious!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.