Genres not usually associated with a artist

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You know the sort of thing: An artist releases a song and you think, "wow, that's different"

Elvis Costello - Watching The Detectives. Wonderful Grungy Reggae feel.

Spandau Ballet - Chant No. 1 (I don't need this pressure on). Fabulous dance floor/Northern Soul feel

Squeeze - Labelled With Love. From their 1981 album 'East Side Story', has a distinct Country vibe going on.

Joe Jackson - Fools In Love. Another Reggae instrumentation going on. Snogged my first girlfriend to this song.

Roachford - Cuddly Toy. A departure from his normal soulful sound.

Blondie - Heart of Glass. They shocked their true fans by releasing this disco single

I'll think of more over the next couple of days

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Plan B - The whole of the album 'The Defamation of Strickland Banks'. A great, soulful album, nothing like the    (c)rap on all of his other songs that I've heard. 

J Macquarrie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 28, 2015
Hertfordshire
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Therapy? - Diane, a cover of a Husker Dü song done entirely as cello & vocals, not what most people were expecting from a hard rock band.

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A number of bands/artists flirted with disco in the late 70s and got stick from hard core fans. I'm thinking of the Stones, Rod Stewart and Kiss. I think those three did it quite well.

Last edited by a moderator:

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
10cc - Dreadlock Holiday

Dread Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love. They were great. They took Zeppelin songs and gave them a Reggae beat. The personnel had some great names:

Jah Paul Jo, Ed Zeppelin, Fresh Cheese, Jah Jah Gabor, Tortelvis, Bob Knarley.

Sorry to Zeppelin disciples (I like some of Zeppelin stuff too) but Dread Zepp were great fun.

Colinjg

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2016
South Midlands.
AKA
Walter Fagen.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
10cc - Dreadlock Holiday

Dread Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love. They were great. They took Zeppelin songs and gave them a Reggae beat. The personnel had some great names:

Sorry to Zeppelin disciples (I like some of Zeppelin stuff too) but Dread Zepp were great fun.
I'm afraid I've got UN-LED-ED by Dread Zep as well.  Actually it is great.

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
10cc - Dreadlock Holiday

i'm a massive Zepp fan , i saw dread zeppelin twice back in the day , brilliant band 

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
i don't know what the Osmonds were thinking when they did crazy horses ...but they should have done more !

DougK

DougK
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
Witham
AKA
Doug
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Stranglers - Golden Brown, Strange Little Girl, European Female. Their greatest hits album is bloody brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles