Get me started

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd like some inspiration to get me back into music (long story). I happened upon Jean-Michel Jarre yesterday having had him on my "Must listen list" for donkey's years! Absolutely loved it.

Please recommend an artist/album to get me started. Any genre accepted! I already have lots of Neil Young, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Steve Earl, James McMurtry.

Thanks folks. By all means post links/images, but please make sure the artist/album is in the text too!

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try Jeffrey Foucault: Miles From The Lightning, Stripping Cane.

The Delines: Colfax.

Tony Joe White: The Train Im On, Home Made Icecream, Tony Joe White.

Ray LaMontagne: Trouble, Monovision.

Ambient try: Marconi Union and Loscil.

The Teskey Brothers: Run Home Slow

If you use Allmusic, you can find similar albums and artists, if you find something you like.

Last edited:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking at what you've got, and the discovery of Jean Michel Jarre, I'd take a listed to some Vangelis, which may well suit. Spiral and Albedo 0.39 are good starters.

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking at what you've got, and the discovery of Jean Michel Jarre, I'd take a listed to some Vangelis, which may well suit. Spiral and Albedo 0.39 are good starters.

Thank you, I will. But don't be limited by my brief list of CDs owned. I've also liked classical, RATM, jazz ... I just rattled off some artists that are prominent in the mind.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you, I will. But don't be limited by my brief list of CDs owned. I've also liked classical, RATM, jazz ... I just rattled off some artists that are prominent in the mind.
That's a bit dangerous. You have no idea about the 'taste' of some here :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: myles and Tony_J

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer Plus
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My advice (cheat version), is to sign up to a streaming service like Qobuz for example....
Most services offer a trial period to help you make your own decisions...
I've hardly touched my own digital library since I subbed to Qobuz hi - res 😀.

Reactions: Tony_J

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Liste to Radio Paradise ‘Main Mix’, install Shazam on your phone or tablet. Anything catches your fancy Shazam it and it’ll pop it on to a Spotify playlist for you to listen at your leisure and allow you to explore the artist further. A few days of this will provide you with mountains of new music to explore.

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Liste to Radio Paradise ‘Main Mix’, install Shazam on your phone or tablet. Anything catches your fancy Shazam it and it’ll pop it on to a Spotify playlist for you to listen at your leisure and allow you to explore the artist further. A few days of this will provide you with mountains of new music to explore.

Wow ... how have I never heard of RP!?!?

And to the suggestions of Qobuz, a very good suggestion, but I'm trying to rein in the expenditure at the moment, and my music listening is very infrequent.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow ... how have I never heard of RP!?!?

And to the suggestions of Qobuz, a very good suggestion, but I'm trying to rein in the expenditure at the moment, and my music listening is very infrequent.
You can get a free month trial. Also same with Deezer, Tidal etc.

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Holy mother of mary. It's like RP just knows what I like. Does everyone hear the same tracks on RP? What happens if you slip a track, or like a track?

Reactions: Chumpchops

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Holy mother of mary. It's like RP just knows what I like. Does everyone hear the same tracks on RP? What happens if you slip a track, or like a track?

I think if you sign up for an RP account if you dislike a track it appears less often in the mix and of course if you like it it will appear more often.

There used to be a facility that when you had over 100 interactions it would list your favourites and play them on demand. I don’t bother with the upvote or downvote, everything I like is Shazammed into Spotify.

Reactions: Chumpchops

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don’t follow the mainstream,,
Try everything, You never know !
And listening tastes can change dramatically..