Getting Logitech Media Server to play from an iMac

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You missed the point: is there anything particular about LMS that would make it worth installing on a computer?
Maybe it’s what you are used to and wish to continue using?
It’s a file browser which benefits from a large display, or some other thing?

There are many music players for Mac, why LMS and not one if the others?

I could see a benefit if LMS were to run on its own dedicated small-footprint OS but that is not what you are doing.

All fair questions in my view.
LMS is a very stable platform, it also requires very little compute power and can run as an app on a number of devices pc, pi, NAS box. Its one of those run and forget things And within a tiny footprint

All of the major streaming services and apps have been long supported and embedded in LMS. in multi room, multi device terms, it can pretty much play anything anywhere, and can be app-controlled from iOS, android, any pc, or a browser from anywhere. AIrPlay etc. Many OEM streamers support LMS. Many free software streamers are also available that can access LMS.

…it’s free, open source, and very well supported since 2001, so has longevity on its side, unlike say Roon which requires a subscription, plus relatively powerful machines to run on. Roon does have other bells and whistles that appeal to many, but I trialed it and then went back to LMS as it does everything I want but for less. I also had concerns about how long Roon might be around for.

Reactions: Bodgit and tuga

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think one has to pay for Parallels, BootCamp is free but takes up a lot of space on the hard drive (about 40 gb I believe).

I am typing this on an iMac running a dualboot of Catalina and Windows 10 Pro Desktop. It's a hack of the BootCamp install.

It's not a completely smooth operation and has a few glitches, but then, I'm a trainee at this sort of thing.

I have LMS v 8.3.0 running on the Windows Desktop.

LMS on a Mac is possible, one just needs to know the "ins and outs", just as one would need to know how to configure anything on anything, there is a learning curve :)

ronnie

Happy tinkering to you! There is loads on slim devices

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Graham @garn63 has the iMac at his place I went there yesterday foolishly to just add LMS so he could play from the stuffed HD he has full of music . As has been explained Graham uses his iMac usb out in to his system for Spotify but as we all do he does find there are some things that are just no on Spotify and it seems a shame to have all that music on a HD and not play it . So if Graham knows how to he can tell you which OS he is using and we can move on from there . Or if that is just not possible then next time I go to visit I will get the information but also try the set up of local player and see if that solves the problem . As some may not be on line when I visit could you list exactly what information you could possibly need about the iMac / LMS etc and will try and get full details so you are able to see the wood from the trees and offer accurate advice .

Thank you to all of you contributing it is all helpful and appreciated by me . This is just because i truly do not have any experience with Apple items and when you do not know what you do not know it becomes difficult .

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Graham @garn63 has the iMac at his place I went there yesterday foolishly to just add LMS so he could play from the stuffed HD he has full of music . As has been explained Graham uses his iMac usb out in to his system for Spotify but as we all do he does find there are some things that are just no on Spotify and it seems a shame to have all that music on a HD and not play it . So if Graham knows how to he can tell you which OS he is using and we can move on from there . Or if that is just not possible then next time I go to visit I will get the information but also try the set up of local player and see if that solves the problem . As some may not be on line when I visit could you list exactly what information you could possibly need about the iMac / LMS etc and will try and get full details so you are able to see the wood from the trees and offer accurate advice .

Thank you to all of you contributing it is all helpful and appreciated by me . This is just because i truly do not have any experience with Apple items and when you do not know what you do not know it becomes difficult .
Hi Ben..think you have your wires crossed.
Graham is not @garn63 because I am. My name is Mark & I am about as good with computer knowledge as you are with amplifiers. :)

Reactions: m7rso

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Ben..think you have your wires crossed.
Graham is not @garn63 because I am. My name is Mark & I am about as good with computer knowledge as you are with amplifiers. :)
Mark apologies I only have stupidity and age to excuse this as it is not the first time I have made this error I of course mean @m7rso which is Graham . I did this once ages ago and for some reason my brain has just locked in to this and I keep making the same mistake .

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mark apologies I only have stupidity and age to excuse this as it is not the first time I have made this error I of course mean @m7rso which is Graham . I did this once ages ago and for some reason my brain has just locked in to this and I keep making the same mistake .
No worries. I am like my Nan. She always got two of her lads names mixed up. My Dad Ben was called Jim & vice versa. :)

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Just the Mac OS and iMac Model, this should help

https://www.macworld.com/article/671943/what-mac-do-i-have.html

ronnie

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay Ronnie sent Graham a PM asked him to have a look and get back to me . Failing that can get the details next time I go round and then with a bit of luck I can get through this and have things working .

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay it is an iMac 21.5 from 2014 and it has dual core Intel processor the OS is Monterey 12.4 hope this is enough .

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay it is an iMac 21.5 from 2014 and it has dual core Intel processor the OS is Monterey 12.4 hope this is enough .

Hi Andrew, I can only do Catalina, but the process should be the same (the last time I did it, I used Mojave).

Local Player uses the default computer player and is a very old version of Squeezelite.

It is possible to install a standalone version of squeezelite, but I'll let you know how I get on.

ronnie

Edit: also LMS v 8.3.0 will most likely work better but I'll start with 8.2.0

Which versions of macOS are still updated?​

Apple still supplies regular features and security updates to the most recent version of macOS, Monterey, also known as macOS 12. The latest version of Monterey is macOS 12.5.1 and was released on August 17, 2022)

The previous two versions of macOS also receive security updates and bug fixes. The latest version of Big Sur is macOS 11.6.8 (released on July 20, 2022), and macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Security Update 2022-005, released on July 20, 2022. An update to Safari (15.6.1) was pushed to users of Big Sur and Catalina in August 2022.

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@bencat

Well, it's a Curate's egg. I could not get Local Player to work back in High Sierra days.:(

It does sometimes work in Catalin days :rolleyes:

I will have a play tomorrow, but I think the answer will be to install Squeezelite as a stand alone package.

Tomorrow I'll check the settings for the external hard disk (also loading the disk as an iPlayer thingy)

I have had the Local Player playing Radio Paradise out to a Squeezebox Radio (and a usb dac, set as default player in the Audio Midi Settings).

No neeed for 127.0.0.1. I tried adding -C 5 and -D but the Local Player just dissappeared.

If one wants LMS to start up automatically, one has to choose "start at log in" in the preference pane (this is an old problem).

I'll also try LMS v 8.3.0 (it's much more up to date)

I'll ask on the slimdevices forum but I think Plocal Player is a bust on Mac OS

ronnie
nighty, night :sleep:

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@bencat

So I had a long play las night at trying to use Local Player. When I could get it to work it was very inconsistant.

I have asked for advice on the slimdevices forum but no reply yet.

My observations are:

In the current state of installation the LMS is not correctly accessing the external hard disk. This is resolved by a fairly simple bit of file editing on the Mac OS, see this post,

https://forums.slimdevices.com/show...-Catalina-quot&p=954485&viewfull=1#post954485

I can help with this if you wish.

One thing I have found useful is to read the instructions out aloud, as if one is dictating. :)

Now, about Local Player; there are two solutions as I see it (assuming one wants to continue with LMS :unsure: I think it best to update to v 8.3.0

Install Squeezeplay;

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/squeezeplay/osx/

more info here

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96328-ANNOUNCE-SqueezePlay-for-Mac-OSX

I can confirm this works

Install Squeezelite; this post has a link to the installation process

https://forums.slimdevices.com/show...e-flac-problem&p=904393&viewfull=1#post904393

Like a lot of this stuff it looks daunting but is quite doable, with a little patience.
I can also help.

Have a think and let me know what you and @m7rso decide

ronnie

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As always Ronnie thank for your time and effort it is much appreciated . As there appears to be an update of the OS that should be installed I think if Graham wants that I will do that first and fore most so that we know we are dealing with ground zero for the OS and make it work with this configuration .

Will have a read through of the install of Squeezeplay and try and get it in my head first before touch the Mac then at least I should be familiar with were I am going and what to do .

With regard to the LMS Library I think that has been scanned and loaded correctly all the music is there but you can not play any of it because there is no player . In this case the USB HD is plugged directly in to the Mac and this sees the HD but will not play any through iPlayer because the tracks are all FLAC which of course Apple does not use .

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I have made progress with the install of Squeezelite.

Tha last time I did this on a Mac was about 18 months (or more) ago

It still is bit tricksy but I managed to overcome my PEBKAC afflication and got there (Andrew, I'll try and do a spoof sheet for you if this route is choosen, or talk you through on the phone)

I also ran my old Spotify account (free version) and the swap between LMS and Spotify seemed prety good.

So maybe there is no need for [-C 10 -D]; I'll check on slimdevices forum at some time

I used the iMac's internal speakers for audio output

That's it now for today (Superbikes on the magic lantern :))

ronnie

• Thanks
Reactions: bencat

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uninstalled Squeezelite, installed Local Player (this is on lms v 8.3.0)

It works well enough, I can configure -s 127.0.0.1 which is important to me for testing.

If I add -D it continues to run, if I add -C 10 then Local Player stops running

I can change to Spotify though without a problem (stop Spotify, navigate to LMS and vice versa)

I can't play any DSD, I added my USB dac as default Audio output and increased the Audio Core bit rate, but nada!

Ralphy confirmed that Local Player can be update with a binary transplant (as in Windows) but although I did it, I have no indication of the squeezelite version number (this might be a Mac OS thing, I'll maybe try and find out.

Roger and out

ronnie

• Thanks
Reactions: bencat

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uninstalled Squeezelite, installed Local Player (this is on lms v 8.3.0)

It works well enough, I can configure -s 127.0.0.1 which is important to me for testing.

If I add -D it continues to run, if I add -C 10 then Local Player stops running

I can change to Spotify though without a problem (stop Spotify, navigate to LMS and vice versa)

I can't play any DSD, I added my USB dac as default Audio output and increased the Audio Core bit rate, but nada!

Ralphy confirmed that Local Player can be update with a binary transplant (as in Windows) but although I did it, I have no indication of the squeezelite version number (this might be a Mac OS thing, I'll maybe try and find out.

Roger and out

ronnie

So,,, being the "bear of little brain" that I am :unsure:, and despite having installed the LocalPlayer Plugin several times (and updated it to the latest version) on a Windows Desktop I have been very close to admitting defeat with the old Mac OS :cry:

Over the last few days I have spent a few hours, each day, trying to get it to fully work.

I found that DSD files were playing, but at such a low volume that I could hardly hear them over the noise (very real noise, not the airy-fairy stuff folk often fret about :rolleyes:)

I could perform the procedure to update the ssqueezelite version but it seemed to have no effect. No version number showing after updating, and DSD still a bust :(

Then today, after another session of fruitless playing about, the lightbulb (very low wattage) finally switched on o_O ;

a) Stop the LMS server from running (in the preference pane)

b) Open the Local Player Bin folder

c) Rename squeezelite-osx to oldsqueezelite-osx

d) Drag and drop the Squeezelite binary from the .dmg file i had been advised by Ralphy to use, and rename it to squeezelite-osx

e) Restart the computer

so..alles richtig gemacht and hunky-dory :)

"we haven't had an earthquake lately"

ronnie

usual terms and conditions apply to the posting of this information :sneaky:
:whistle::geek:

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So,,, being the "bear of little brain" that I am :unsure:, and despite having installed the LocalPlayer Plugin several times (and updated it to the latest version) on a Windows Desktop I have been very close to admitting defeat with the old Mac OS :cry:

Over the last few days I have spent a few hours, each day, trying to get it to fully work.

I found that DSD files were playing, but at such a low volume that I could hardly hear them over the noise (very real noise, not the airy-fairy stuff folk often fret about :rolleyes:)

I could perform the procedure to update the ssqueezelite version but it seemed to have no effect. No version number showing after updating, and DSD still a bust :(

Then today, after another session of fruitless playing about, the lightbulb (very low wattage) finally switched on o_O ;

a) Stop the LMS server from running (in the preference pane)

b) Open the Local Player Bin folder

c) Rename squeezelite-osx to oldsqueezelite-osx

d) Drag and drop the Squeezelite binary from the .dmg file i had been advised by Ralphy to use, and rename it to squeezelite-osx

e) Restart the computer

so..alles richtig gemacht and hunky-dory :)

"we haven't had an earthquake lately"

ronnie

usual terms and conditions apply to the posting of this information :sneaky:
:whistle::geek:

You seem brave enough to try CAD's OSX Audio Optimization Script:

https://www.computeraudiodesign.com/computer-setup/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles