• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Going for Amphion Helium 520

arhantd

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 28, 2013
Dear Friends!

My first post here. I am almost on the verge of buying the Amphion Helium 520s.

I like Open, Dynamic and Natural sound with a hint of warmth.

I need suggestions for what amplifier to buy for them.

I am looking in the range of £1000.

If you can suggest me other speaker in the range of £2000, that are more suitable to my needs,

i am open to discussion and ill audition them as well.

So far ive auditioned PSB, B&W, GoldenEar and Amphion, i found Amphion most pleasing.

My room is 45m2.

Do you think i should audition Tannoy and Dali as well?

Thanks

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I really like amphion, in terms of an amp I'd partner that with either 211 or 845 valves, it'd be lush. Tannoys are a bit marmite, and the people on here would say the dual concentrics like the Golds are the only way to go, but taught bass on a large cone imho they don't really do. The amphion are a very fast speaker, and the horn loaded tweeters are excellent. Don't know much about Dali. Ask (Mick) mmar or (Bob) itcosthowmuch, they've had most of the speakers and amps in Christendom. :)

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

arhantd

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 28, 2013
Thank you so much for the response.

I liked the Fast and dynamic sound from the Amphions, the bass is limited but its fine by me.

Can you name some brands/Amps in the price range of about 1000 that i can buy.

I am just a year old in Hifi so dont really know much.

Someone told me to look at Emotiva gear, but i dont know if that is suitable, sounds a little forward to me.

I was told that if Pre/Pro are both Emotiva then they become neutral sounding, is that true?

Another option is to look at close to neutral class D amps, but will that be a good match?

i dint think about Tubes yet, as its a 4 ohm load, i thought i would need a lot of power to make them sing.

:)

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try the prio 620 if your after more bass , owned these and the mk1 and mk2 xenon , found the prio 620 less fussy over positioning compared to the xenon but outright sound quality the xenon mk 2 for me was the better of the 3 speakers , didn't find any of them particularly fussy over amplification the mk 2 xenon particularly liked a tact 2150 integrated though that said my room isnt big and I play at moderate volumes

the mk 1 xenon had a strange mid bass drop out that seemed to over emphasized the lower bass notes so not the most coherent sounding speaker the mk 2 was much improved but I found all 3 to be fast , transparent , smooth And dynamic easy on the ear impressive sound speakers

Carnt say I found any of them warm sounding I would have said neutral so if your looking for a bit color and warmth then look to pair them with a warm sounding amp or front end

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ultimately a little uninvolving Jerry imho. Bob brought one over and whilst we were initially impressed we soon got bored with it. I owned a pair of amphions with the bel canto class D ice modules. My brother came round and said "I thought you knew about hifi" - that was cutting! It just sounded a bit flat.

arhantd

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 28, 2013
Thanks for the responses. I will lok at the Topping and also for other Warmish-class Damps.

I auditioned the 520s with the Marantz 6004, they souned like a decent combo but i thought i might as well pair with something better.

Since it will be a longer term purchase.

Also the dealer here does not have Prio or any other similarly priced FS in stock.

He will be getting Argon7L soon, but that is out of budget.

I have an option to get the Argon3L Floorstanders for a little bit more money than 520s. But i cannot audition them, they will be specially ordered.

So, Do you guys think they are much better speakers than the 520? they are almost £1000 extra

They utilize the same tweeter but different woofers, they have a 6.5" aluminium allow woofer.

Has anyone heard them or the Argon 3? I want to know if they sound similar, as in fast, natural and open?

If they are truly much better speakers i will go for them instead as this will be my setup for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Ultimately a little uninvolving Jerry imho. Bob brought one over and whilst we were initially impressed we soon got bored with it. I owned a pair of amphions with the bel canto class D ice modules. My brother came round and said "I thought you knew about hifi" - that was cutting! It just sounded a bit flat.
That is what i have been thinking a lot about as well that though its nice and dynmaic, it is not that resolving and i might just grow out of it too soon.

I cannot afford that so i have been thinking whether getting the Argon 3L will be a better decision, hope someone here has heard them!

Or if you can suggest me some other options that are Musical, Open and Dynamic in the around the price range please do.

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand is also another option, what say?

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Topping TP60 ...

Ultimately a little uninvolving Jerry imho.
Hmm. Yes, I know what you mean, and I agree.

But it's horses for courses - there's no lack of detail, it's all very well resolved but just a little laid back compared to strictly neutral - it's a full warmish sound and in combo with the slightly lightweight Amphion 520 I had a feeling that's the sort of sound the OP might be looking for.

I might be wrong, of course. :)

arhantd

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 28, 2013
An interesting option i have is to piar them with Artora amps at a very low price.

Since the company has been bought over by Roksan and they re launched the Artora 150 as Oxygene.

A piece of the Artora 150 is available at good prices.

Would something like that have good synergy with the Amphion?

Strider

Nothing to see here
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
somewhere or other
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree with Jerry about the Amphion house sound of being detailed but also a little laid back. I have Xenon mkII and I found they were quite a better in all areas compared with the mkI version, I run mine with a Primare I30 which is 100 wpc but I think the Xenon's would benefit from even more power.

I heard the Prio's a couple of years ago at a show and they were very detailed and had serious bass, maybe not the fastest but they sounded fantastic with just about all types of music apart from speed metal....

Some people think Naim amplification goes well with Amphion speakers and the better class d stuff is a good match too.

I'm sure you'll find a good combination but don't give up!

rag

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 23, 2007
Wirral
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The BK 'Pear Drop' power amp (200 quid) makes a crystal clear partner for my older Amphion Prio 520s (similar design to the Helium 520s).

arhantd

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 28, 2013
Thanks.

I will try to audition the Helium 520 with a Naim amp and the Artora amp. One of them might work out decently well for me.

Now the main question is whether to go for Argon3L or to buy the Helium 520 only.

Icant audition the Argon3L, but if it really is a big step up, i might take a blind call?

What i am most concerned about is whether it posses the Amphion "House" sound and whether its presentation is fast, dynamic, open and engaging like the Helium 520.

In any case if its a analytical sounding, monitor-ish speaker then i will not go for it.

Has anyone here heard it? or Used it?

arhantd

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 28, 2013
Seems, Helium 520 is the only option due to some budget issues. And my dealer also felt to make a real upgrade it would have to be Argon7L. Which is completely out of budget, so it seems Helium 520 is the only one left.

Just to give me another option that saves some money my dealer suggested an Active speaker like the Event opals or Neuman KH310 paired with a good warm dac/pre.

Do you think its worth considering or it would make things too analytical and not engaging?

The price difference is considerable that is why i am thinking.

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
Northants, UK
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to give me another option that saves some money my dealer suggested an Active speaker like the Event opals or Neuman KH310 paired with a good warm dac/pre.

Do you think its worth considering or it would make things too analytical and not engaging?

The price difference is considerable that is why i am thinking.
Plenty of opinions regarding the Event Opals here

arhantd

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 28, 2013
Plenty of opinions regarding the Event Opals here
Thanks a lot for the pointer. I read the whole thread, and also sent out some mails.

From the initial look of it it really looks like its a great option and might give me more bang for my buck.

Ill try and get an audition in. Seriously food for thought.

So as it stands its either the Opal or the Amphions.

:)

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Also worth having a listen to the Aurelia Ambera's as comparison (Antti Louhivaara used to design for Amphion and set up his own company in 2007) . I compared them to the Argon 3, and for me they had more life in their presentation. The only area which lets them down imho, is in the fit/finish compared to the Amphions.

arhantd

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 28, 2013
Thanks. Will look at the Aurelia as well but i m in India and i dont think they are available here, but will find out.

Has anyone tried/heard Amphions with Hegel amps?

There is a new Hegel H80 out which seems to have a decent inbuilt dac.

Might be a good one box solution for the setup.

Thanks

arhantd

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 28, 2013
I have a technical question.

Would a stand mount speaker with a horn loaded tweeter and a 6.5" woofer, rated at 88db, 8 ohms and 100w be enough to fill a space of about 400+sq ft or 40m2?

Needs to fill the room with medium volumes mostly and sometimes at loud volumes.

thanks for the input! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zymaze