Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any southern-based Wammers keen and reasonably talented at golf?

Im not expecting an avalanche of interest as golf hasnt featured very much in these columns, but a couple of us Wammers have a 4 ball going at the moment and just wondered if anyone else played a bit and might want to join in..

Jack NSM

ESK

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Euan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Love a bit of golf.  I live in the home of golf though, so no good to you.

I managed to get my handicap cut this year from 7 to 5.  I can't see where the next reduction is coming from though unless I start to dedicate a heck of a lot more time to practice than I currently do.

Damn frustrating game.

wizmax

"Inestimable" Reel to Reel expert
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2010
Hayling Island
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very impressive, never managed to get lower than 8 myself but that was a long time ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Love a bit of golf.  I live in the home of golf though, so no good to you.

I managed to get my handicap cut this year from 7 to 5.  I can't see where the next reduction is coming from though unless I start to dedicate a heck of a lot more time to practice than I currently do.

Damn frustrating game.
ESK very impressive handicap.  Can imagine you have had some very low scores in your career.  All tips welcomed :)

Have been taking lessons over the last three years and my handicap has drifted up from 14 to 16!  Although strangely I feel like I am swinging better than ever and improved my contact with the ball. Just not backed it up with some decent chipping and putting.

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any southern-based Wammers keen and reasonably talented at golf?

Im not expecting an avalanche of interest as golf hasnt featured very much in these columns, but a couple of us Wammers have a 4 ball going at the moment and just wondered if anyone else played a bit and might want to join in..

Jack NSM
Hello Jack,

16 handicapper here, playing once or sometimes twice a week.  Would be up for an occasional game.

ESK

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Euan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ESK very impressive handicap.  Can imagine you have had some very low scores in your career.  All tips welcomed :)

Have been taking lessons over the last three years and my handicap has drifted up from 14 to 16!  Although strangely I feel like I am swinging better than ever and improved my contact with the ball. Just not backed it up with some decent chipping and putting.
Until a couple of years ago I was pretty wild off the tee and hit some pretty bad fades/slices.  I got one lesson that gave me a bit of a move to make at the top of my backswing.  Ever since I have hit the ball with a functional draw and kept the ball in play all the way around.  It has saved me big time.  So now rather than having big misses right, I now have small misses left.  I'm hitting the ball straighter and further than I ever have.  If I want to get even lower then as you say, its chipping and bunker play that needs practice.  That and being able to get within 9 to 10 feet from 100 yards in reliably.  I broke the magical 70 barrier this year having never down it before in my puff.

To get down from mid high teens down to 12 or so, I found the biggest change was not the golf itself but thinking your way around.  ie don't try and hit the hail Mary shots.  Take bogie.  Its better than an 8 or worse!  My favourite comment to the guys I play with is, "You've just missed a 40 yard fairway.  What chance you can hit a 6 feet gap between two trees?"***

Shot 74 today but had a triple bogie at one hole.  I should have listened to ***

If you come over the top and hit slices, try these tips on the practice ground.  

Line up as usual but place the ball in line with your right toe with the club behind the ball.  Make a slow, half swing and try to hit the ball out to the right.  You are trying to get the feeling of swinging from in to out rather than over the top.  Don't try and hit too hard.  Just get the feeling.

Second tip.  

Line up as usual with your club behind a tee peg  Place a ball one ball width nearer you than the tee peg.  Line up with your club behind the tee peg.  Make a swing and try to hit the ball rather than the tee.  Again this will give you the feeling of swinging into out and stopping a flying right elbow.  Take it slow.

Euan

• Upvote
Reactions: greybeard

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Euan,

many thanks for taking the time to give a few tips and I shall give them a go next week when I can get on the practice ground.  I tend to pull my bad shots left and I am working on getting an in to out swing.  Some days are more successful than others.

Some sound advice on managing your way around the course as well.  I try not to go for the impossible shot but now and then I still think I can carry it off and inevitably I regret it!

Chris

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great stuff Ewan and Chris!

Chris looks closer than Ewan(!).. and Im sure to take up your offer of a game. Im playing to about sixteen these days and Wizmax is there or thereabouts.

Looks like the chat at Lurch's bake off wont just be boring old hifi....

I play at Waterhall Brighton. Its up hill and down dry valley. Little sand and the greens arent fantastic but its still a test.

Jack

photowizz

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2010
Windsor
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Couple of years too late for me. I used to be seriously into the game. Club captain, President of the Radio Industry Golf Society, played in European Tour  pro-ams and so on. Lowest round 71.

Still my last rounds were fun. Hans Merensky, Sun City and Leopard Creek in South Africa, Merensky borders Kruger Park and you often have to wait for giraffes to get off the tee, Hippos and crocs in the water hazards and Warthogs, Impala and Baboons on the fairways!

mikeyb

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2013
Fife, Scotland
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Couple of years too late for me. I used to be seriously into the game. Club captain, President of the Radio Industry Golf Society, played in European Tour  pro-ams and so on. Lowest round 71.
Still my last rounds were fun. Hans Merensky, Sun City and Leopard Creek in South Africa, Merensky borders Kruger Park and you often have to wait for giraffes to get off the tee, Hippos and crocs in the water hazards and Warthogs, Impala and Baboons on the fairways!
We get baboons on the fairways here too [emoji23]

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to play once a week, got down to 16 then, but since a back injury, I get out very rarely now, and struggle off 24. Age of course doesn't help  :(

Sondekker

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2012
Ipswich, Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having taken early retirement a couple of years ago I am now able to play a couple of times a week here in sunny Suffolk off a current handicap of 9. As such, I don't really qualify as being conveniently located for a game of golf in the south east, however, the option of getting a game with some fellow hifi enthusiasts is one that 'I like the sound of'.

Not one of my regular golfing friends or other senior members at my golf club has any interest or awareness of hifi…..in fact they all think I'm something of a lunatic if I ever mention my interest or the amount of money I've spent.

Pleased to report that we only get rabbits on our fairways...

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to play once a week, got down to 16 then, but since a back injury, I get out very rarely now, and struggle off 24. Age of course doesn't help  :(
A number of my golfing friends are in their late 70s and early 80's and between them have had a few knee replacements, by-passes and other problems but they still enjoy getting out on the course for the exercise and social side of the game. They do not worry so much now about the score but still manage to enjoy the occasional good hole, shot or game.  All their handicaps should be much higher but they rarely enter comps so they do not get adjusted to the true value.  Hope you can get out and enjoy the odd game now and then. 

ESK

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Euan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I play with a chap in his 80s with new hips and he can still knock in round in under his age.  Can't hit it far but rarely misses a fairway and his short game is inspired.

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought I would resurrect this thread, as I have started playing again, since retirement in December. I have changed my driver to a 12 degree, with senior flex shaft, it has been a revelation. I have managed to get down to 18hcp and have started playing for the senior team at our club.
We played an interesting course today, Porthpean, where local knowledge gave the home side a huge advantage, but I have to say it was a joy to play, on a glorious sunny day. We lost on the 17th, but put up a good fight, and were 2 up after 6, but eventually their home advantage told.
Looking forward to a summer of golf.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm retired, and my golf was pretty duff before lockdown but not playing for 2 years set me back even further. I'm very enthusiastic and make up my own clubs, but fitness took a nose dive in lockdown and I'm just starting to put my game back together. I play once a week with my brother in Uxbridge where they have a very scenic 12 hole.

DIB

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2009
Manchester
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I retire myself next month and had always planned on returning to the golf course after a 10 year hiatus (I last swung a club in anger in sunny Mijas back in 2012). I'm definitely a 18+ handicapper on a good day and I have plenty of choice of local courses where I live in Greater Manchester.

I used to be a member of a golf club many years ago but found playing every week got a bit tedious after a while so let my membership lapse. The occasional round in good weather will suit me just fine.

Back in the 90's I was part of a golf society (ie bunch of the lads out of the pub) that often went up to Scotland on trips. Stranraer, Portpatrick, Glenluce, Southerness etc. Those were the days, fantastic golf courses at reasonable prices.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ive had a break from golf for a couple of years, partly due to the lockdown, but my interest is beginning to stir again after the wily Wizmax invited me over to watch the PGA on Skysports (I used to make up the 4th @ Sandown Park with him and his longstanding mates). (They are currently one short of a fourball..)

My previous courses were Waterhall (since returned to nature (i.e., dogowners) and The Downshire, a municipal in Crowthorne (excellent course for a Muni'). Prior to that a member at Farnham Le Sands (surrey).

Looking at Salterns (Southsea) now I live in Chichester. As Ive missed the start of the season ticket period (I doubt its pro rata) I am attracted by the twilight seniors rate of £10 a round. That is after 4 00 pm in the Summer months. Seems reasonable..(though its more expensive on another website so I will go along and see for myself..)

Maybe I can get some practice in B4 joining Robin (Wizmax0 and Chrisph for a 'friendly' (haha..) round or two.

Jack

Last edited:

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jack what ever you do do not bet any equipment on the result , money is okay to lose but equipment can never be replaced. Enjoy getting back in the swing , never took to golf myself whoever said it was a good pastime for relaxation obviously never played I found it very stressful and annoying so many things to remember .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles