Greatest moment of sporting brilliance

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
...When somebody at the top of their profession does something that makes you sit up and say WOW.

Being a football fan, its easy to think of great goals; likewise great cricket innings etc.

But one particular moment which i thought particularly stunning in a sport where not a lot happens nowadays- i can't remember the year or the track - was when Haikonnen overtook Schumacherusing a backmarker going into a curve. That just looked so breathtaking, and against a multiple world champion.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Senna at the European Grand Prix (Donington) 1993 in the rain. His vastly outpowered McLaren Ford went from 4th to 1ston the first lap. Prost, Hill and Schumacher were overtaken through Donington's bends. It was a display of sheer brilliance and one of the greatest laps in the history of F1. He went on to leave the rest of the pack a long way behind, winning the race by a country mile. Genius!

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A goal scored by Ibrahimovic when he was playing in Holland. Quite simply had to stop and replay it to see how the hell he did the piece of skill at the end.

Other than that Botham - The Ashes, when I was just a lad, listening to it on the radio on holiday in Tenby when he single handed beat the Australians. He was my first non-footballing hero.

Also watching Marvin Hagler, again as a youngster, just made boxing look so graceful and powerful at the same time. Everytime I watched him in a fight I thought it was sporting brilliance.

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
griffo104 wrote:

Other than that Botham - The Ashes, when I was just a lad, listening to it on the radio on holiday in Tenby when he single handed beat the Australians. He was my first non-footballing hero.
The best thing I have ever seen sports wise. If you read the script you wouldn't believe it.

I think Bob Willis can take some credit aswell as some of the lower order batsmen who surpassed themselves to hold the other end up.

ray70

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Three goals by Dennis Bergkamp:

The one against Leicester. The one against Newcastle. The one against Argentina.

You know the ones I'm talking about.Absolute genius.

The Swedish Chef

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2005
Göteborg, , Sweden
AKA
Philip
another vote for bothem, the one where he took a wicket on his first ball back, (after being banned?)

steve cram breaking the 1500 and mile world records in short succession

greg lemond winning the tour de france on the last day from fingon in france by a handful of seconds

the day frankie detori won all 7 at ascot

rob andrews drop goal v south africa in the rugby world cup

england winning the world rugby cup

in fact anytime england beat france in the stade de france
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif

last years ashes series, i had to listen via the internet so missed out on the actual feeling in the uk

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Swedish Chef wrote:

last years ashes series, i had to listen via the internet so missed out on the actual feeling in the uk
The test match at Edgbaston was arguably the finest game of cricket - ever, well certainly that I've watched. The two best test teams in the world showing why they are the two best.

Mark LJ

Wammer
Wammer
May 4, 2006
Up North. Cold, Wet
1990 at Murrayfield - stood in the crowd when Scotland beat England to the Grand Slam.

Redgrave winning his 5th Gold - shouted myself hoarse.

Alan Wells in Moscow in 1980.

Have to go with Senna in the rain as well, but also remember Mansell in Hungary in 89 doing a great double overtake of Senna that sticks in the mind.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Botham, The well worked final ZigZag by the England rugby team in 2003 are good choices.

The thing that blew me away the most? Eubank v Benn, Pick your fight. The second one for me. The ferocity of the opening round made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
Also, as a Eubank fan (and part time impersonator) the result was of course spot on.
wink.png

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HiFiWigWam wrote:

Botham, The well worked final ZigZag by the England rugby team in 2003 are good choices.The thing that blew me away the most? Eubank v Benn, Pick your fight. The second one for me. The ferocity of the opening round made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.
Also, as a Eubank fan (and part time impersonator) the result was of course spot on.
wink.png
Yes, I've often cited those Eubank/Benn fights as up there with the very best. Undoubtedly the best I've ever seen.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On 12th September 2006 a German once very good footballercalled Ballack smashed in (in Deutsch style) a significant penalty at Stamford Bridge (the one he scored there 2 years ago didn't matter).

enbee23

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Senna at Donnington in '93 was incredible. But from a bit further back, how about

Rene Arnoux vs Gilles Villeneuve for second place at the Dijon GP, 1979?

Real old-school racing with no clever-clever technology, no "driver aids" and some real slip angles in the corners. Breath of fresh air.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Injector wrote:

HiFiWigWam wrote:
Botham, The well worked final ZigZag by the England rugby team in 2003 are good choices.The thing that blew me away the most? Eubank v Benn, Pick your fight. The second one for me. The ferocity of the opening round made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.
wink.png
Yes, I've often cited those Eubank/Benn fights as up there with the very best. Undoubtedly the best I've ever seen.
The "Thriller in Manila" was the most savage fight i've ever seen. It was breathtaking but also disturbing to watch.

The Nigel Benn/ Gerald MacClellan encounter was equally savage. Benn was almost knocked cold in the opening few seconds from a piledriver by MacClellan. It was a savage fight in the true sense of the word, with neither fighter holding back for the full duration. Such a tragic ending when the US fighter collapsed with brain injuries.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Papa Lazarou wrote:

The Nigel Benn/ Gerald MacClellan encounter was equally savage. Benn was almost knocked cold in the opening few seconds from a piledriver by MacClellan. It was a savage fight in the true sense of the word, with neither fighter holding back for the full duration. Such a tragic ending when the US fighter collapsed with brain injuries.
I still remember this fight like it was yesterday. It was amazing - you could argue at the time that the super-middleweight division had some great boxers and was arguably the best boxing division.

Speaking of boxers Michael Watson was also involved in some pretty good fights back then as well. Another boxer sadly cut short in his prime. Very sad ending to two great boxers and sportsmen.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Aside from the tragic ending i'd say it was Benn's finest performance.

As you quite rightly state Michael Watson was a superbly talented boxer too - also robbed in his prime by injuries suffered inside the ring.

Blue Floyd

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 1, 2006
Essex, , United King
The Botham Ashes series

Englands rugby world cup victory

Red Rum winning his third Grand National. I'm not even in to horse racing.

Way above everything elsefor me was last years Ashes series. I've never known such a sustained sporting atmosphere . It lasted for weeks and the icing on the cake was Englands victory.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Although usually it is Liver who have been involved in many great FA Cup (2 last year IMO) comebacksor Eufa or Champ League Finalcomebacks, I liked Chels and Leeds kicking merry wotzits out of each other in first-ever FA Cup Final replay in 1970 at MUt ground. Right result too.

That 1977 Red Rum thing was good, as has seeing an underdog win after 5 sets or whatever at Wimbledon.

What I need nowafter the disappointing footie World Cup is a low-spending honest footie team to win with great goal-scoring footie.

The 1966 World Cup 1967 Celtic/1968 MUt European Cup wins were great but I was to young to drink.

IMO it is good to dig out DVD/VHS of old good win and have a drink anyway.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
It's all games (apart from the boxing..)..

The greatest ever sporting acheivements were the 1st ascents of Everest and K2, followed by Goran Kropp's feat of cycling from Sweden to Nepal, climbing Everest solo without oxygen, then cycling back to Sweden. He da man, not one of these girly footballers
tongue.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles