Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just came across this and had to share it. Handel's setting of the Latin text of Psalm 110 (The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool) was made as a young man resident in Rome and before he moved to England. It shows that Handel already had nothing to learn about drama in music and it requires a virtuoso choir to do it justice - such as Gardiner's Monteverdis:

[video=youtube;GH2-4D32azo]

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
Tony, I have a version of this.

English Chamber Orch. with Sir David Willcocks. choir is Kings college , Cambridge.

soloists : T Zylis Gara, Janet Baker, Martin Lane, John S Quirk.

lovely

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Totally brilliant stuff. Elsewhere I was agreeing with Alan (MusicBox) that I should try harder with modern music. But then I hear something like this and think, Why bother? It simply doesn't get any better than this.

C

chris217

The recording by the Balthasar-Neumann Chor and Ensemble under Hengelbrock is one I rather like. The coupling, Caldera's Missa Dolorosa, is a nice rarity.

khapahk

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2008
Linslade, Beds
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One of Handel's "small but perfectly formed" pieces of choral music ! I've both the JEG and Willcocks versions; as different as chalk from cheese, of course, but both excellent in their own way.

k

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I quite agree for music from 300 years sgo, but an awful lot happened after tbat...
True, but (IMHO of course) nothing that constituted any sort of aesthetic improvement. Much just as good of course, but nothing better.

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
One of Handel's "small but perfectly formed" pieces of choral music ! I've both the JEG and Willcocks versions; as different as chalk from cheese, of course, but both excellent in their own way.
How would you describe the difference?

I'm just listening to Gardiner's as linked above now. It's really lovely.

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One of Handel's "small but perfectly formed" pieces of choral music ! I've both the JEG and Willcocks versions; as different as chalk from cheese, of course, but both excellent in their own way. k
Some more of those perfectly formed Handel choral pieces are the Coronation anthems. What in my opinion is the best version, by Nev and the ASMF, is again available:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handel-Coronation-Anthems-Georg-Friederich/dp/B0000040X6/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1422619868&sr=1-1&keywords=handel+coronation+marriner

One of them, Zadok the Priest, has been played at every coronation since Handel's time:

[video=youtube;N09wmqLca0s]

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
Ok so on re-listening to this some years later, I don't think I like it as much as I once did.

Hengelbrock I thought was a touch too fast and bombastic, Willcocks was better in that regard, but there were other aspects of the performance I didn't love. Funnily I thought JEG  as heard here was actually my favourite, of the first part at least:  [SIZE=11pt]https://youtu.be/dS65-ZvUSSM[/SIZE]

Happy to leave it there :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles