Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2011
Berkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am going to have my Garrard 401 replinthed later in the year and can not make up my mined what to do about my tone arm, I have an SME 3009 S2 that I was going to have serviced and a total rebuild and new wires to use with a Denon 103 mc cartridge . For the money that it will cost I am thinking, will I be better of buying a new tone arm ? And I keep looking at the 12" Jelco SA 750L.

Has anyone used a Jelco SA 750L tone arm with a Garrard 401 TT or compared one to the SME 3009 S2, are they up there with the SME 3009, what did the Jelco SA 750 L sound like?.

Many Thanks for any help you can give me.

smegger68

With your sister, somewhere you wouldn't like.
Wammer
Jan 18, 2006
Bridgend
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A Jelco 750L is a MUCH better arm than the old 3009 II, especially if you are using a DL103 on it. The SME is not a bad arm by any stretch, but it has knife edge bearings that are somewhat unsuited to a very low compliance cartridge like the 103, and it is also of medium mass (or low mass if it is the Improved model) which again is the opposite of what the DL103 needs to work at it's best. The Jelco on the other hand is of higher mass, has the option of silicone damping and is overall a much better design with it's gimbal bearing. Also, the advantage of being a 12" arm with the better tracking that brings should not be underestimated. I have an earlier version of the arm, and it is much more precise than an SME I tried. Better tracking and resolution of detail. Slightly brighter too which is another advantage with the 103. If it were me there would be no contest, plus you can sell off the SME and get a good wedge of your money back.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've used a standard Jelco SA-750 on my own 401 and can confirm that it's an excellent match (in fact, I've yet to find a deck that it doesn't sound good on!). I'm not generally a great fan of 12" arms, personally, but there's no reason that the 12" version of the Jelco shouldn't be just as good if a footlong is your thing.

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
Just to muddy the waters, i used a 10" Jelco 750E with a DL 103 and a 103R on a Loricraft plinth and found it a bit dull. in fact this was true of several carts and stages SUTs used. The breakthru only came when I changed to a new arm, in this case to an Audio Note Arm One.

Of course the rest of my system may have something to do with my findings, as it is all a little laid back, Tannoy speakers, Quad amps etc. So perhaps the new arm is just compensating for other failings! TBH I have tried other speaker and amp combos with my 401/Jelco and the slightly matter of fact presentation was always there. It just didnt grab me as vinyl replay should.

As anyone who has listened to Doms setup at scalford can confirm the Audio Note Arms are a great match for the 401. I also think the A-N bearing design is more effective at isolating the cart from the higher mechanical noise endemic to a 401. It is also a bit of a bargain and not much more than a Jelco.

Interestingly when they originally set up my TT, Loricraft also agreed the Jelco 401 combo was a bit dull, they had recommended an SME 309 or M2. But I unwisely ignored them and choose the Jelco as it was cheaper and looks ace with a 401. And while I have no doubt the Jelco is an excellent arm and the engineering is lovely, for me it didn't gel with the Garrard at least in my system and plinth.

If you are going to Scalford, go check out Doms system (assuming he is there again). It will amaze you as to how good a 401 can be.

All the best,

Graham

hairyderriere

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2010
Auckland, NZ.
AKA
Justin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been using mine with a 401 for some time now. No doubt plinth design plays its part but I have found it a very musical combination.

12006031223_2ff45f959a.jpg

This year I will unleash the full power of the tonearm by upgrading the Jelco wiring and replacing the Jelco interconnect with something better (and likely silver).

Record Player

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 17, 2014
Wembley
Great information and experiences shared. I'm on the same route on selecting a tonearm for me 401 and was thinking on the lines of a Jelco 750L arm.

stevesl500

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2011
Berkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Your deck looks very nice in this plinth, What make plinth is it? Is it the photo or have you used the SME spacer under the Jelco 750L

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I'm gonna get shot down here, but I'm not a fan and have moved my 750L on very quickly. I'd have a Roksan Nima/Tabriz ahead of the Jelco any day.

Unless you really need detachable headshell, or use an SPU there's better out there.

:sofa:

Moko

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2007
London, England
God we are all sheep here, I have just bought a Jelco 750L to go on my slate plinthed 401 as well. I'm just waiting for a day dry enough to get outside to drill the 30mm hole for the arm.

From what I have read the only downside to the 750L is the mounting collar which doesn't hold the arm correctly, but there are a number of suppliers who will sell you an upgraded version which solves the problem. Also if you are on an upgrade path and eventually want an SPU you will have to buy the heavier counterweight to balance it correctly.

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I'm probably being unfair, a Nima's £550, Tabriz £650/850. With that consideration its a decent proposition. 750L's £450

I've said on another forum it'll fit a Roksan Tabriz base. It may be easier to fit depending on your TT? (threaded collar and nut, £65 though:doh:)

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
Pretty as the 3009 is it is a bit rubbish as a tonearm. But then the 103 is not exactly my favourite cartridge either. They certainly shouldn't be paired together.

The Jelco is probably as cheap as it gets for a 12" arm. If that is what your budget stretches to then go for it.

hairyderriere

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2010
Auckland, NZ.
AKA
Justin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Your deck looks very nice in this plinth, What make plinth is it? Is it the photo or have you used the SME spacer under the Jelco 750L
Stevesl500, it's a modified vintage SME2000. The top plinth has been replaced with slate and the lower section braced and reinforced for rigidity purposes. Completed by a chap in Bristol.

hairyderriere

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2010
Auckland, NZ.
AKA
Justin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pretty as the 3009 is it is a bit rubbish as a tonearm. But then the 103 is not exactly my favourite cartridge either. They certainly shouldn't be paired together.
The combination of a lossy SME 3012 or 3009 (with suitable weight adjustments) with a Denon DL103 is often cited as an excellent combination, even a classic one. What makes you say this?

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
The combination of a lossy SME 3012 or 3009 (with suitable weight adjustments) with a Denon DL103 is often cited as an excellent combination, even a classic one. What makes you say this?
Experience. Where is it cited that a 3009 and a 103 is a classic combination?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Experience. Where is it cited that a 3009 and a 103 is a classic combination?
Each to their own.

Personally I find the 103 an excellent combination with a bin bag. And I've tried three to date, because people have always tried to convince me I'm wrong and it's actually a great cartridge.

I disagree. I've always found it a bit of a sod to match in terms of weight and compliance, and frankly when you get it all correct, to my ears it still sounds fundamentally wrong.

If it was £20 it would be great, but it isn't, and it isn't.

Maybe it's just my taste, but the 103 and 110 to me are near unlistenable and massively bettered by MM carts at half the price.

Heresy to many, I know, but it's based on a great deal of experience of vinyl setups. Maybe just my taste. YMMV...

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
Each to their own.Personally I find the 103 an excellent combination with a bin bag. And I've tried three to date, because people have always tried to convince me I'm wrong and it's actually a great cartridge.

I disagree. I've always found it a bit of a sod to match in terms of weight and compliance, and frankly when you get it all correct, to my ears it still sounds fundamentally wrong.

If it was £20 it would be great, but it isn't, and it isn't.

Maybe it's just my taste, but the 103 and 110 to me are near unlistenable and massively bettered by MM carts at half the price.

Heresy to many, I know, but it's based on a great deal of experience of vinyl setups. Maybe just my taste. YMMV...
But it is just so musical and cheap. Certainly it is a giantkiller of a cartridge? :run:

stevesl500

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2011
Berkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As the Jelco comes with no tonearm cable, What have you guys used as a tonearm cable on your Jelco SA 750L ? How would you say they sound with that cable.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But it is just so musical and cheap. Certainly it is a giantkiller of a cartridge? :run:
It should be killed by giants. Or monkeys or dwarves for that matter.

There are a heap of sub £50 MMs that massacre it.

Horrible tonally unbalanced thing that can't portray any sort of soundstage other than ramming cymbals into your eyes and putting woodwind into the neighbour's garden.

Nasty, hateful thing.

All, of course, IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

As the Jelco comes with no tonearm cable, What have you guys used as a tonearm cable on your Jelco SA 750L ? How would you say they sound with that cable.
Give J7 a shout at Audio Origami. Sensible and well-made stuff that does what is needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles