• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Heard some Focal JM1007BEs

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
I’ve just heard some more standmount speakers; I recently listened to a few pairs in the £500-£800 area, but wanted another demo based around my own electronics, namely the Audiolab 8000CD/8000S combo. I firstly listened to some AVI Neutrons, which made an inoffensive noise, but possibly don’t have the punch and drive for my heavier musical tastes. Next up were the Dynaudio Focus 110s, which were a noticeable improvement on the AVIs. They certainly had more drive about them, but didn’t grab me as much as a previous demo when I’d heard them through a Cyrus 8cdp/ Cyrus 6amp combo: in particular the bass had been a lot punchier and tauter (obviously a difference between Audiolab and Cyrus kit).

At this point I’d planned to listen to some more speakers around this price bracket, but it was suggested that I may want to hear a pair of 2k speakers, so out came the Focal JM 1007Bes. Sonically, they were as I expected, having heard a pair of their big brother Utopias at Heathrow last September: high resolution, very clean etc. However, what really surprised me was fact that they could be driven so easily by a £500 amp. I know that they have a high sensitivity, and have read on some threads that people use them with valve amps, but sometimes you don’t until appreciate it until you hear it in practice. Also very apparent was the lack of any law of diminishing returns compared to the much cheaper models. They didn’t embarrass the electronics in any way, even though they were all about detail. In fact they sounded superb with some electronic material. Maybe more proof that budget allocation nowadays should be based more around the speakers than source?

Would I ever buy them? They’re the sort of speakers that will sound great in a long demo and for a few weeks as you listen to your CD collection again, hearing a lot of new detail. After that though, I suspect some people (but not me!) would find them a bit too clinical, and not the sort of speakers for a late night long chill out session. On top of that, although not massive, they’re quite a bit bigger than my current old Missions, and are probably a bit too big for my room; of course there’s also the obvious fact that I would feel obliged to upgrade the amp very quickly, regardless of however good they sounded at home. But it’s nice to know what sort of sound you can get out of budget/mid electronics if you want to allocate the budget accordingly.

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
HiFiWigWam wrote:

more praise for focal, They seem to be the speaker du jour.
Maybe not the whole range, i've previously heard some 806s (£500) which i didn't like at all; think it was the front port, that made the bass a bit farty (whats the technical term, 'chuffing' maybe?).

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Sheva wrote:

HiFiWigWam wrote:
Maybe not the whole range, i've previously heard some 806s (£500) which i didn't like at all; think it was the front port, that made the bass a bit farty (whats the technical term, 'chuffing' maybe?).
I think the technical term used in the industry is 'guffy'

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
Anthony wrote:

Sheva wrote:
HiFiWigWam wrote:
I think the technical term used in the industry is 'guffy'
aha i knew it was something like that
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

is it a normal thing for front ported designs?

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
a lot depends on the design, but it does seem to be a penalty of ported designs.

I think the sound you describe with the 1007's explains why most partner them with smooth electronics...valves and sugden etc apparently being tres effective:)

Napoleon

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Cheshire, UK
I've been living with 1007s since the day they came out. They are awesome, always and for any music. The Focal stands are bobbins though, the QS ones really make them sing.

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
Napoleon wrote:

I've been living with 1007s since the day they came out. They are awesome, always and for any music. The Focal stands are bobbins though, the QS ones really make them sing.
What are the QS stands that you use? A dealer told me that my current Target stands would be better than the Focal stands, but if the 1007s are bottom ported, surely you wouldn’t be able to use fully solid top plates: you would need openings where the ports are, thus rendering the Focal stands mandatory???

M

Mr Coherent

There are brand new stands for the 1007be's, media filled ally versions, better sounds and more advatngeous price too.

Have to say we were using the OE stands at Manchester, seemed quite passable to a few folk
biggrin.png

Napoleon

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Cheshire, UK
They aren't bottom ported, they are rear ported near the bottom. I've heard the new stands, they are still a million miles away from the acrylic Quadraspires.

M

Mr Coherent

Nappy,

I would agree the Dave's designs work well, and indeed give something in a few areas that people look for. A genuinely good alternitive :)

For those looking for the ultimate performance extraction, try the dedicated Townshend standmout speaker stands (sadly we did not have any at Manchester) these really are something else and transform every speaker we have tried.

Both the Quadarspire and Townshend are well worth an audition.

Alvolake

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 7, 2006
Canaries, , Spain
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a chance of some bought last year and therefore mint 1007bes for just 1200 quid. How would they go with my Sugden A21SE, firing across my 6 x 4m room and a foot or so from the rear wall ?

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
was auditioning EXACTLY that combo last weekend and wrote it up under Rockmeister's big audition, about 10 threads down from here. Basically, at that price, do it. Get some solid stands tho and I would budget for good speaker cable too. That said everything I played, from crap recordings through audiophool stuff sounded beaut... a system just to turn on and enjoy for year after year IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kinchitshaw