. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The cable seems somehow too simple. I was under the impression that the data format was different in an spdif or an AES stream, maybe I am wrong, I genuinely have no idea.

if the cable does the job, that would be great. I could maintain all the functionality of the Node, which I really like, while upgrading the dac (allegedly the weakest part of the node) and getting a very different flavour of speaker.
A quick Google suggests there is a tenfold difference in expected signal levels between the two (0.5 V vs 5 V). Whether this causes an issue will probably be hardware-specific?
At less than £30 the cable might be worth a try... There are other converter but since it's S/PDIF I wouldn't a cheap one.

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An interesting review of the Hedd type 05 mk2 combined with the Hedd sub can be found here: https://www.soundstagesimplifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/172-hedd-type-05-mk2-active-speakers-and-bass-08-subwoofer

The reviewer is using the speakers in a domestic setting, like myself. It was this, together with Darko’s review of the type 07 mk2, that sparked my interest and a successful hunt for a pair.

I’ll give more impressions of the 05s combined with a sub in the next few days, all being well. I’m loving them at the moment - superb sound!

KnightofCydonia

New Wammer
Sep 16, 2021
An interesting review of the Hedd type 05 mk2 combined with the Hedd sub can be found here: https://www.soundstagesimplifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/172-hedd-type-05-mk2-active-speakers-and-bass-08-subwoofer

The reviewer is using the speakers in a domestic setting, like myself. It was this, together with Darko’s review of the type 07 mk2, that sparked my interest and a successful hunt for a pair.

I’ll give more impressions of the 05s combined with a sub in the next few days, all being well. I’m loving them at the moment - superb sound!
Thanks for all the commentary so far it really helps. I take it the Hedd speaker probably plays better then at lower volumes over the AE1?

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the commentary so far it really helps. I take it the Hedd speaker probably plays better then at lower volumes over the AE1?
Hi. Yes they do. There appears to be little loss of detail when the Hedds play at low volume settings and this isn’t quite the same with the AEs.

I’m not sure if you’re planning on combining your choice of speaker with a sub but I’ll be commenting on my own findings in the next couple of days. 

KnightofCydonia

New Wammer
Sep 16, 2021
Hi. Yes they do. There appears to be little loss of detail when the Hedds play at low volume settings and this isn’t quite the same with the AEs.

I’m not sure if you’re planning on combining your choice of speaker with a sub but I’ll be commenting on my own findings in the next couple of days. 
Nice thanks, that’s good to know for me as I would be near to mid field and playing at lower volumes in the evening. I was thinking of a sub possibly. Have a ML dynamo 800x. Having a hard time deciding on a dac/pre amp as what I was gonna order is 8 weeks on back order. Might have to go with used market for something short term.

thanks again!

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry forgot to also ask, which speaker (if either) has a louder hiss coming from it? 
Just checked. Both the AE and Hedd give off a very low volume hiss from the tweeters. It’s about the same and only barely audible to me from less than 40cm away. If you’ve got bat hearing, you might detect it from slightly further away. It’s never bothered me at all with the AEs (I sit about 2.5 m away) and it obviously doesn’t affect (mask) any detail as the Hedds in particular are extremely strong in revealing all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hedd Type 05 mk2 with a sub (JL Audio d108)

Here are a few more observations of the Hedds, paired with a (JL Audio) sub and there were a few surprises!

First off, I initially switched the Type 05s to ‘Sub (80hz)’ using one of the 3 position switches on the rear panel. I then switched the JL sub so that it was using its own internal filters (set to approx 80hz low pass filter).

The sound was different, but surprisingly, not the change I was expecting - a touch muddied in the bass register. Weird, I thought. After listening for an hour or two, I thought I’d leave it, and return to listen/fiddle around some more the following day.

Next day, I re-connected my Behringer active filter that I thought would become redundant with the Hedd type 05s. I also switched the ‘sub’ setting on the Hedds back to the off position (as I thought that leaving it on would create a double high pass filter). Voila! - the sound was now clear as a bell with no more smearing of sound caused by overlapping (<80hz) bass frequencies. I now strongly suspected that the ‘sub’ switch on the Type 05s was NOT acting as a high pass filter. So what does it do?

Having re-read the review on the Soundstagesimplifi.com site (see above), I think the reviewer made the same mistake. It appears (I may be wrong and I’m going to contact Hedd on this) that the ‘sub’ switch produces a small delay from the Hedds to linearise the sound from the main speakers to match that of the sub (irrespective of make and model). Earlier on tonight, I switched the ‘sub’ setting back on. Another audible improvement!

The sound had improved yet again. I am very impressed by the sound quality this combination (Hedd 05 + Sub) is now producing. Sounds literally appear from an expansive soundstage with crystalline clarity. Lyrics can be made out easily and decay of notes linger longer (e.g. a better ring at the end of a symbol hit), drum hits are easily distinguishable from the rest of the mix. Bass notes, are of course, distinct and well rounded - the Hedd is no longer having to do any of the <80hz work so it's free to produce effortless mid/treble ****

I could go on and on waxing lyrical (but won't!). Needless to say, I’m very (very) impressed. The Hedds are a great little speaker when used on their own. When combined with a sub + a method of high passing the main speakers, they are tremendous.

**** I have found the filter frequency scales on the sub as well as on the active filter to be less than 'spot on' and some careful adjustment/fiddling is in order to get things right. So far, I have only ever used my ears (+ others in the family with better ones) as well as some basic db readings from my phone. At some point, I might finally get round to some proper room measurements.

Reactions: MartinC

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I now strongly suspected that the ‘sub’ switch on the Type 05s was NOT acting as a high pass filter. So what does it do?
The symbol in the manual seems to indicate a high-pass filter, I don't think that you should need (or hear an improvement) by using the Behringer:

Bf38UK2.png

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It should be ealisy apparent if the speakers are applying a high-pass filter or not if you just switch between the two options whilst listening to the speakers on their own (no sub), on music with some obvious low bass content. Or if you want to be more tageted play something like a 60 Hz tone (via YouTube for example). Just make sure you listen to the two options form the same position in the room.

In terms of sub integration and crossove filters it's imortant to realise that there is more to it than just the chosen frequency - the shape/slope of the filter matters too. Some filter types will roll-off very slowly as a function of frequency whilst others can do so much more rapidly. There is a good chance that the filters on the sub and Hedds are different, and so even with the the frequencies set the same the sum isn't what might be expected or hoped for. Using the Behringer will I'm sure be ensuring the same filter type is used for each, and as a hunch I'd guess steeper filters are used too (which I think in generally a good idea).

The relative levels on the main speakers and sub will make a big difference too of course, and relative phase / arrival time will make a difference too in the crossover region.

Absolutley everything I've just written about would be made easier by using a measurement micrcophone to see exactly what is going on but I do appreciate most probably don't want to get into this.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On the speaker front, am I right to think that currently you think Hedds + Sub are better than AE1as + Sub @Pedro2?

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Absolutley everything I've just written about would be made easier by using a measurement micrcophone to see exactly what is going on
This. :goodone:

Investing so much money in a playback 2.1 system and then not using a microphone to set it up makes no sense to me.

• Upvote
Reactions: newlash09

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The symbol in the manual seems to indicate a high-pass filter, I don't think that you should need (or hear an improvement) by using the Behringer:

You’re right - it definitely does seem to indicate a high pass filter. However, from the Soundstagesimplifi review:

In fact, the “for Sub (80Hz)” setting does not implement  a high-pass filter on the monitors. As Dmitry Grigoriev, an R&D engineer for HEDD, explained in an e-mail exchange, this setting performs phase correction for the high-pass filter on the Bass 08’s analog outputs, so that the phase response of the subwoofer and satellites are linear. This is spelled out in the Operation Manual for the Type 05 MK2. “The text in the Quickstart Guide is maybe not the best choice,” Grigoriev acknowledged. “We will adjust the text so it is more clear.” So after some trial and error, I set the satellites’ LF Range controls to “for Sub” for my first round of listening.

I think that the labelling of the dial + the instruction manual are both misleading if the above quote is accurate (and I think that it is). However, on re-reading, I’m now wondering if you need the Hedd sub to hear the effect. I need to listen more with different settings!

EDIT

I now notice that there’s also a ‘for sub’ setting on the Hedd 08 sub as well! So the above is probably referring to the sub’s switch!!! I’m now confused ++++

Will do some further comparisons next week some time. Too busy enjoying listening to Coltrane on vinyl with my better half (fresh out of Covid isolation room). Sounds *** great 👍 

• Upvote
Reactions: tuga

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I seem to remember having a discussion at the time that John Darko's video came out as to whether there was a high-pass filter applied by the speakers or not. I've just had a look at the manual and it certainly makes no mention of the 80 Hz high-pass filter implied by the graphic on the rear of the speakers, which I think is distinctly misleading if as it it appears is not what it does. Frustratingly I'm sure the DSP in the speakers would be perfectly capable of doing this if Hedd had chosen to as well.

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This. :goodone:

Investing so much money in a playback 2.1 system and then not using a microphone to set it up makes no sense to me.
You’re right and the last time I searched, the Umik was not available (during one of the lockdowns). I think that I’d actually enjoy taking measurements (although buying something else before selling something won’t go down well 😎).

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I seem to remember having a discussion at the time that John Darko's video came out as to whether there was a high-pass filter applied by the speakers or not. I've just had a look at the manual and it certainly makes no mention of the 80 Hz high-pass filter implied by the graphic on the rear of the speakers, which I think is distinctly misleading if as it it appears is not what it does. Frustratingly I'm sure the DSP in the speakers would be perfectly capable of doing this if Hedd had chosen to as well.
What’s strange about the Darko video of the Hedd type 07 is that I can’t locate it anymore. It’s there in a Google search but not on his site. Not on YouTube either - strange!

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What’s strange about the Darko video of the Hedd type 07 is that I can’t locate it anymore. It’s there in a Google search but not on his site. Not on YouTube either - strange!
Yes, you're right. I just checked back and found your post below where you orignally posted the link but the video now comes up as being private. I wonder why? 

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On the speaker front, am I right to think that currently you think Hedds + Sub are better than AE1as + Sub @Pedro2?
I think it’s got to be a qualified yes on this one. The AEs have been star performers in the Pedro household since 2017.

But, I just prefer the presentation of the Hedds (slightly more laid back) as well as their silky smooth treble (I know why people rate the AMT tweeter so highly now). They also have a greater degree of user defined settings (e.g. ported or sealed).

On the other hand, there is a price differential, which should be factored in (not huge) and the AEs are probably easier on the eyes in a domestic setting. 

Reactions: MartinC

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online