Hedd Type 05 Mk 2 active speaker - some impressions

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For context, how far do you sit from the speakers and how large is your room? Any concerns over not going loud enough?

KnightofCydonia

New Wammer
Sep 16, 2021
Just checked. Both the AE and Hedd give off a very low volume hiss from the tweeters. It’s about the same and only barely audible to me from less than 40cm away. If you’ve got bat hearing, you might detect it from slightly further away. It’s never bothered me at all with the AEs (I sit about 2.5 m away) and it obviously doesn’t affect (mask) any detail as the Hedds in particular are extremely strong in revealing all.
Thanks for checking. A little hiss isn’t bad at all and expected. My Triangle powered speakers is about 35db from 1m away and while it’s not noticeable playing music irritates me as I’ve never had powered or active speakers hiss so loudly.

MGTOW

MGTOW
Wammer
Feb 4, 2019
Poole, Dorset
AKA
Dave Wiley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For what it is worth, my Adams which use their version of the AMT derived folded ribbon tweeter are close to silent. I need to get my ear to within 2 or 3 inches of the tweeter.

For context, they are driven from the analogue outs of my Node 2i, output is set to variable, the level controls on the speakers to 7 (out of 10).

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've never owned active speakers but I wouldn't expect hiss to be a problem in mid- to far-field listening. Is it?

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've never owned active speakers but I wouldn't expect hiss to be a problem in mid- to far-field listening. Is it?
Not to me (or anyone else in the household, one of which has much better ears than me!).

• Upvote
Reactions: tuga

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not on the Edifiers I have, or the ATC and Canton actives I've heard at shows.

As you allude to, I suspect that when there is a concern it's principally a nearfield one.

I think some are concerned that they hear hiss close to speakers and assume it's compromising qulity even if it's inaudible at the listening position even with no music playing. Lots of passive speaker systems have hiss close to tweeters too of course (if not most).

• Upvote
Reactions: Pedro2 and tuga

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just watched an interesting review of the Hedd 05s on YouTube.
It’s interesting in that the reviewer doesn’t normally like (or review) active monitors - in his words, they’re usually ‘flat’ and ‘boring’.
However, he was in for a pleasant surprise with the Hedds.
I also found his statement about audiophiles and monitors amusing - ‘audiophiles and studio monitors are like oil and water, they don’t mix’.

MKLS

New Wammer
Sep 14, 2022
Brighton
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting thread, the HEDDs seem to be becoming quite popular in pro / semi-pro production studios.

Did anyone resolve the question of how best to connect SPDIF -> AES? I'm trying to figure out something similar for a pair of Genelc actives

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting thread, the HEDDs seem to be becoming quite popular in pro / semi-pro production studios.

Did anyone resolve the question of how best to connect SPDIF -> AES? I'm trying to figure out something similar for a pair of Genelc actives
You could always look at a Mutec MC3+USB not cheap unless you grab a used one. Though there are probably other DDCs around you could look at that will do this aswell.
There are these 2 on fleabay at the moment.
Screenshot_2022-11-03-17-31-12-03.jpg
Screenshot_2022-11-03-17-32-11-79.jpg

Reactions: MKLS

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Technically (in strict terms) AES/EBU and SPDIF actually have different embedded code data. For practical audio purposes though, there's no problem. To do it absolutely properly you need a suitable transformer-coupled converter. Neutrik do one for about £50.

You could probably get away with a cable converter, but that's not be massively cheaper.

MKLS

New Wammer
Sep 14, 2022
Brighton
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Technically (in strict terms) AES/EBU and SPDIF actually have different embedded code data. For practical audio purposes though, there's no problem. To do it absolutely properly you need a suitable transformer-coupled converter. Neutrik do one for about £50.

You could probably get away with a cable converter, but that's not be massively cheaper.
Yep, looks like a simple cable like this would work: https://www.designacable.com/spdif-...MI6uG9ytmm8wIVDtPtCh2KkgoxEAQYCCABEgKDTvD_BwE

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would, though as above, I'd be more inclined to use a standard digital cable and spend £50 on a balanced transformer converter.

Whether there'd be any practiacl (audible) difference in a domestic situation is likely to be down to what is connected to what. In particlar, the digiotal source and its ability to cope with what is (using a straightforward cable) an incorrect load.

MKLS

New Wammer
Sep 14, 2022
Brighton
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would, though as above, I'd be more inclined to use a standard digital cable and spend £50 on a balanced transformer converter.

Whether there'd be any practiacl (audible) difference in a domestic situation is likely to be down to what is connected to what. In particlar, the digiotal source and its ability to cope with what is (using a straightforward cable) an incorrect load.
Sounds like the converter would be a safer bet then..

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I seem to have lost the ability to type last night, and the old excuse no longer applies.

Anyway, what I was trying to say (spell)... Standard digital coax (SPDIF) should be 75 ohms characteristic impedance. AES/EBU should be 110 ohms CI. The former is single-ended and the latter is proper balanced. If you use a cable just wired with a phono on one end and the wiring converted to XLR on the other, then one of the two ends will be loaded with technically the incorrect impedance. The signal levels will also not be perfect. Using a matching transformer correctly converts single-ended to balanced (or vice versa) and should be wound to present the correct impedance.

It would involve somewhat more cost, as you then need not only the converter but also two cables. Nevertheless, in technical terms a low-cost correctly terminated digital cable with the correct characteristic impedance ought to be better than a costly one with the incorrect CI.

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice write up. As a recent convert to actives always good to read about other Wammers experiences especially with a brand I’m unfamiliar with. Don’t think I’ll ever go back to passives now.

Reactions: MVJ

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice write up. As a recent convert to actives always good to read about other Wammers experiences especially with a brand I’m unfamiliar with. Don’t think I’ll ever go back to passives now.
The owner/designer started Adam who you may be familiar with and then subsequently started Hedd based on the same basic idea but apparently evolved.

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The owner/designer started Adam who you may be familiar with and then subsequently started Hedd based on the same basic idea but apparently evolved.
Don’t know either brands, I will investigate …

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don’t know either brands, I will investigate …
Adam have decent reputation in the proaudio world. I used a small pair of Adams for several months and they were good at the price. I expected the treble to be too forward but not at all.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've found this thread very interesting & decided if my Event Opals have issues in the future Hedd 05/07 are my go to replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.