Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Firstly, just to say that my current musical bliss (more on that shortly) is very much thanks to the Wam and in particular, the incredible generosity of @TheFlash and @Fourlegs
Two great guys with good ears and great systems.

I am just down the road in Northampton so perhaps come and spend some time with me and have a listen to mine. No Chord Dave .. but what I think are well matched components. @Bokke enjoyed it when he came to buy a Nord from me.
It may just give you a different perspective (or not).

I am a DAC sceptic .. not so much about burying head in the sand but more the fact that comparing a DCS Elgar Purcell years ago with my bog standard Pioneer and yes it was better but no way was it £4k better .. So the question I pose is .. can you achieve what your ears like for a lot less (I think I havce - well my ears are happy and that is all that matters). I am a tight old git and perhaps one day I may change my view but it hasn't over the last 20 years or so.

It has been a bit remiss of me but I need to get the Flash and Fourlegs over too ..

DexterPi

Wammer
Mar 22, 2019
Northamptonshire
AKA
Duncan clare
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all interesting thread
I live near daventry so between Leicester and Northampton.
Have a dCS rossini and clock, into a naim 552dr and 500dr, plus a melco N10 that could feed each dac to keep things the same or qobuz.
Willing to join in host etc

Reactions: Psilonaught

karlsushi

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi @DexterPi

I believe a bake-off thread is impending, so keep your eye out. I've left this to @Fourlegs though, given that he is very kindly offering to play host.

I think there was already an offer of a dCS Rossini for this bake-off courtesy of @antonio66, but I guess this can be discussed.

Who would have thought so many high-end DACs were swimming about the East Midlands. What cost of living crisis!!?

Just had a look at your signature. Assuming you still have them, I heard a pair of the PMC Fact 12 Signatures at the NW Audio Show at the weekend (as it happens, on the end of a Chord DAVE!). Was mightily impressed by them. Lovely speakers that seemed to defy their narrow dimensions. A very different feel to the PMC speakers I have heard from lower down their range, which I really didn't get on with. Much more refined.

Reactions: DomT

DexterPi

Wammer
Mar 22, 2019
Northamptonshire
AKA
Duncan clare
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Yes I have the pmc fact 12 speakers sitting on podiums, they work very well on my system.
Also have a lovely nakamichi dragon and a couple of sony elcaset in the form of a 5 and 7, so plenty to play a with.
Not forgetting about my vinyl rig, thales compact 2, simplicity 2 arm and exquisite st cartridge, into a I'm superline/supercap dr.

So could be a very enjoyable and entertaining experience, as lots to compare

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I heard a pair of the PMC Fact 12 Signatures at the NW Audio Show at the weekend (as it happens, on the end of a Chord DAVE!). Was mightily impressed by them. Lovely speakers that seemed to defy their narrow dimensions.
Ah, the Fact 12 Luxman combination. Chosen by only the most sophisticated and handsome of audiophiles.

DexterPi

Wammer
Mar 22, 2019
Northamptonshire
AKA
Duncan clare
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cut your cards up now, it's the only safe thing to do, as the rossini, especially with the clock is a very different dac to the puccini, remember once you hear it, you won't be able to un hear it

• Haha
Reactions: TheFlash

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We recently sold the Rossini clock due to no longer using the ethernet input and moving to AES from an Antipodes K50 (courtesy of Fourlegs) so no longer needed, although the clock makes a real difference if using Ethernet or usb inputs

TheFlash

random internet bod
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nick @Fourlegs :
In some cases it will be easier said then done however if you're system is based on digital audio and want the best performance from ATC active monitors (and this should also be the case with numerous power amplifiers) SCM19A's, SCM40A's, SCM100ASL's, etc, then ATC active monitors need to be directly fed from an Ed Meitner - EMM Labs/Meitner Audio DAC/Pre with their V Control which "maintains the input signal without re-quantization allowing for complete transparency at any volume setting, wide attenuation range, and no loss of audio resolution."
Might this be a good opportunity to get your ATC SCM150ASLT's into your living room?
If you wish to unsubscribe from discussion of this particular topic, please email Nigel&Karl@StopYourCyberbullying.com.

• Haha
Reactions: DomT and karlsushi

TheFlash

random internet bod
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We recently sold the Rossini clock due to no longer using the ethernet input and moving to AES from an Antipodes K50 (courtesy of Fourlegs) so no longer needed, although the clock makes a real difference if using Ethernet or usb inputs
I have the Puccini and its accompanying U-Clock. I'm delighted with and want to stay that way. I don't want to hear a damned Rossini.

TheFlash

random internet bod
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all interesting thread
I live near daventry so between Leicester and Northampton.
Have a dCS rossini and clock, into a naim 552dr and 500dr, plus a melco N10 that could feed each dac to keep things the same or qobuz.
Willing to join in host etc
Will all you Rossini owners just stop it, now! :)

• Haha
Reactions: DomT

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lot's of talk of top of range DCS kit. Absolutely makes sense. I'd love to hear one.

However I've always been curious how top of line Lampizator compare. What's best forum users, who seem to have a LOT of money, appear to gravitate to Lampizator over other high end brands.

chris

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
leics, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another East Midlands resident here in Ashby de la Zouch. I have a MSB platinum DAC 3 which was a high end DAC in its day, but I suspect it’s day has long since passed. I would be very interested to compare how it sounds with the newest dacs and if it is something that is worth upgrading or if I would be better concentrating my resources in other areas.

It looks like you already have more than enough high end dacs for the bake off but is anyone would be willing to bring their dac and try it in my system or if I could bring mine and try it in theirs, they would be very welcome

Reactions: TheFlash