Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Edit:

Following is a list of confirmed crossover values.

Capacitors: 100V 200uf NP(G) / 100V 15uf NP(G) / MPT 2.5 uf J 100V / MPT 2.2 uf J 100V

Ceramic Resistors: 5W 1R J / 10W 10R J / 5W 3.9R J

Air Core Inductor: 0.5mH (Bottom left) and 0.15mH (bottom right)

Iron Core Inductor: 6.0mH (Top Right) and 1.0mH (Top Right)

Only ones missing now are information as well as specs for the C4 Richey A18C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello HifiWigwam,

I have two Tannoy Autograph Mini drivers and am trying to reverse engineer a crossover.

I was searching around YouTube and came across a Japanese person who actually dissected an Autograph Mini, who provides a shot of the crossover.

Tannoy Autograph Mini Crossover.jpg

Unfortunately, some of the texts on components are not clear. As a result, I don't have any idea what some of the components are.

Everything I have identified is circled in green.

Tannoy Autograph Mini Crossover Annotated.png

Everything I cannot identify is circled in red.

Would anyone knowledgeable be able to assist me in figuring out what the final components for this crossover are?

Last edited:

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello HifiWigwam,

I have two Tannoy Autograph Mini drivers and am trying to reverse engineer a crossover.

I was searching around YouTube and came across a Japanese person who actually dissected an Autograph Mini, who provides a shot of the crossover.

Tannoy Autograph Mini Crossover.jpg

Unfortunately, some of the texts on components are not clear. As a result, I don't have any idea what some of the components are.

Everything I have identified is circled in green.

Tannoy Autograph Mini Crossover Annotated.png

Capacitors: 100V 200uf NP(G) / 100V 15uf NP(G) / MPT 2uf J 100V

Ceramic Resistors: 5W 1R J / 10W 10R J / 5W 3.9R J

Everything I cannot identify is circled in red.

Would anyone knowledgeable be able to assist me in figuring out what the final 6 components for this crossover are?
I do have a pair of Autograph Minis and I’m quite interested in learning about the crossover. It isn’t obvious how to open the cabinets though as there isn’t a plastic panel at the back with the speaker binding posts on it as you often have. Maybe the only way to get inside the cabinets is to remove the driver, which I wouldn’t be very keen on doing.

Reactions: Zaiden

Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do have a pair of Autograph Minis and I’m quite interested in learning about the crossover. It isn’t obvious how to open the cabinets though as there isn’t a plastic panel at the back with the speaker binding posts on it as you often have. Maybe the only way to get inside the cabinets is to remove the driver, which I wouldn’t be very keen on doing.

Hey there! Just thought I'd chip in to mention the way to open it to unscrew the screws at the bottom. The crossover is attached to the bottom panel, and it seems decently easy to take out, inspect, then screw back in.

Let me know what you think. I'd understand if you wouldn't want to open up your speaker, but honestly, it would be greatly appreciated.

Crossover bottom panel.jpg

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hey there! Just thought I'd chip in to mention the way to open it to unscrew the screws at the bottom. The crossover is attached to the bottom panel, and it seems decently easy to take out, inspect, then screw back in.

Let me know what you think. I'd understand if you wouldn't want to open up your speaker, but honestly, it would be greatly appreciated.

Crossover bottom panel.jpg
Yes, you’re right! I’ve just unscrewed the three screws at the bottom of the cabinet and I can see the crossover now. The crossover board was actually unglued from the slot in the wooden bottom panel. I’ll get the crossover out of the cabinet after work and see if I can report back on the crossover values.

Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, you’re right! I’ve just unscrewed the three screws at the bottom of the cabinet and I can see the crossover now. The crossover board was actually unglued from the slot in the wooden bottom panel. I’ll get the crossover out of the cabinet after work and see if I can report back on the crossover values.

For record, if I ever meet/see you in real life, drinks are on me.

As a bonus, if you could let me know what the interior is like in terms of dampening/dimensions are like, that would massively help bring me one or two steps closer to the DIY Tannoy Autograph Mini dream.

At first, I did try to pursue official avenues for procuring Autograph Mini parts with Tannoy's third party spares service, Music Tribe. But they replied pretty much saying they don't stock those parts anymore, and to check out a local hifi repairer to see if they might have anything on hand. I'd begun to lose hope on building an Autograph Mini from the ground up, and was thinking of woodworking a different style of enclosure while wrangling with MiniDSP instead. But with this new development, I think the Autograph Mini dream is closer to becoming a reality.

Last edited:

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For record, if I ever meet/see you in real life, drinks are on me.

As a bonus, if you could let me know what the interior is like in terms of dampening/dimensions are like, that would massively help bring me one or two steps closer to the DIY Tannoy Autograph Mini dream.

At first, I did try to pursue official avenues for procuring Autograph Mini parts with Tannoy's third party spares service, Music Tribe. But they replied pretty much saying they don't stock those parts anymore, and to check out a local hifi repairer to see if they might have anything on hand. I'd begun to lose hope on building an Autograph Mini from the ground up, and was thinking of woodworking a different style of enclosure while wrangling with MiniDSP instead. But with this new development, I think the Autograph Mini dream is closer to becoming a reality.
I've unscrewed the bottoms of both the right and left speakers, but the crossovers won't come out fully - it feels like there are some wires which I can't see. Here is a picture with some of the capacitor and resistor values:
IMG_20220831_181022.jpg
The values of the inductors aren't printed, but they may be on the reverse of the circuit board. I might be able to use a mirror and a torch to see the values of the yellow capacitor at the end of the board. The resistor at the top right is labelled '5W 1RJ'.

Actually looking at picture of the circuit board you've posted, it is a different design. I have the mk 1 autograph minis, and it looks like they redid the design for the mk 2 version.

• Love

Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've unscrewed the bottoms of both the right and left speakers, but the crossovers won't come out fully - it feels like there are some wires which I can't see. Here is a picture with some of the capacitor and resistor values:
IMG_20220831_181022.jpg
The values of the inductors aren't printed, but they may be on the reverse of the circuit board. I might be able to use a mirror and a torch to see the values of the yellow capacitor at the end of the board. The resistor at the top right is labelled '5W 1RJ'.

Actually looking at picture of the circuit board you've posted, it is a different design. I have the mk 1 autograph minis, and it looks like they redid the design for the mk 2 version.

That's not a problem, actually. I believe I have the MKI non-prestige drivers on hand. So the one you have on hand would be an even better fit.

I think that might be a better question for someone who has heard both the MK1 and MK2 to comment on, on the off-chance the revision of crossover components actually changes the tuning in a way that I would find to be more sonically pleasing. So I'll post to the Tannoy owners thread to see if anyone there has heard both.

I think the crossover is not fully coming out, likely because the wires are attached to the driver. You do not have to pull out as I do not want you to damage your speaker by accident on my behalf. But yeah, shining a torch and naming some further components would be greatly helpful.

But honestly, thanks for your help. The components on your crossover are infinitely easier to source in the UK. I think ever since Tannoy moved operations to China, they use what's available there (which is harder to find here). My thinking is that your Autograph Mini probably predated Tannoy's move to China, so we're seeing slightly different components being used with similar values.

It is really appreciated and has helped inform me of the things I need to make this Autograph Mini project a reality.

Reactions: rdale

Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IMG_20220831_181022.jpg

Hey rdale, were you able to get a value for the 'yellow capacitor at the end of the board.'?

My guess would be an MPT 2uf J 100V, if the similarities so far with the Prestige crossovers are anything to go by.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hey rdale, were you able to get a value for the 'yellow capacitor at the end of the board.'?

My guess would be an MPT 2uf J 100V, if the similarities so far with the Prestige crossovers are anything to go by.
No not yet - I need to get some tiny batteries for my mini torch before I can see the cap properly.

Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No not yet - I need to get some tiny batteries for my mini torch before I can see the cap properly.

Not to worry. All the excitement from these recent discoveries has gotten me so eager to order crossover parts and finally give the project a shot.

Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I now have measurements for the inductors, courtesy of the Prestige Mini owner's clearer photographs.

0.15mH for the bottom right inductor, and 0.5mH for the bottom left inductor.

Based on conversations with some electronic engineers, they should be air core inductors.

Last edited:

Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@rdale , quick question, are the speaker cover/grilles magnetic or just fit nicely into the groove? And do you have any sort of educated guess on the fabric the cover is made out of?

Also if you could inform me about the dimensions of the speaker (height of the speaker, height of the driver relative to the height of the speaker, height of the port, port size (from an image I know port depth basically touches the front panel), and the width of certain sections), that would also be insanely helpful. No rush, I'd estimate I'm at least 3 months off from realising this DIY project as a Christmas present to myself.

Never any harm in getting the dimensions so I can see what I can conjure up with 18mm birch ply.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I’ve managed to find a suitable light to see the back of the board. The yellow cap has this text:

2.2J 100V
MET CH

There is a resistor next to the cap with this text:

5W3R9J

On the board is this version number:

MINI AUTOGRAPH
TYPE 1528

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@rdale , quick question, are the speaker cover/grilles magnetic or just fit nicely into the groove? And do you have any sort of educated guess on the fabric the cover is made out of?

Also if you could inform me about the dimensions of the speaker (height of the speaker, height of the driver relative to the height of the speaker, height of the port, port size (from an image I know port depth basically touches the front panel), and the width of certain sections), that would also be insanely helpful. No rush, I'd estimate I'm at least 3 months off from realising this DIY project as a Christmas present to myself.

Never any harm in getting the dimensions so I can see what I can conjure up with 18mm birch ply.
The grills are held on with magnets. The fabric is what I would call ‘oatmeal open weave’, and I’m sure it is a traditional Tannoy colour.

I’m going away, and I don’t have time to measure the speaker dimensions at the moment, but I’ll be back on Sunday and so I’ll measure it then and post the results. It is a complex shape of course.

• Love

Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve managed to find a suitable light to see the back of the board. The yellow cap has this text:

2.2J 100V
MET CH

There is a resistor next to the cap with this text:

5W3R9J

On the board is this version number:

MINI AUTOGRAPH
TYPE 1528

I received clearer photos of the Prestige crossover, and realised that the two yellow capacitors were not x2 2J 100V, but rather 2.2J 100V and 2.5J 100V.

The grills are held on with magnets. The fabric is what I would call ‘oatmeal open weave’, and I’m sure it is a traditional Tannoy colour.

I’m going away, and I don’t have time to measure the speaker dimensions at the moment, but I’ll be back on Sunday and so I’ll measure it then and post the results. It is a complex shape of course.

Honestly, no worries. You go live your life. I've badgered you enough this week, and really appreciate how helpful/responsive you've been.

Although the shape looks fairly complex, I'm not looking for an exact 1:1 recreation, and something with similar dimensions/proportions should do the trick.

There is no rush, and enjoy your time away!

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I’ve measured the speaker:
%0A%0AFrom Brother iPrint&Scan.png

• Love

Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve measured the speaker:
%0A%0AFrom Brother iPrint&Scan.png

@rdale , thank you very much! Would you be so kind as to let me know what the depth would be from the 5 cm side to the 17 cm side? This information will let me know how many degrees I should angle some of the sides.

Also what is the distinction between bottom base and wood at the bottom?

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@rdale , thank you very much! Would you be so kind as to let me know what the depth would be from the 5 cm side to the 17 cm side? This information will let me know how many degrees I should angle some of the sides.

Also what is the distinction between bottom base and wood at the bottom?
The speakers are 13 cm deep. The wooden block has a slot for the crossover and screws onto the bottom with three screws, whereas the 1.1 cm thick ply is part of the cabinet.

Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is there anyone who would have a vague idea/educated guess of how the Autograph Mini crossover circuitry would look like as a diagram?

I have a diagram of how the XT Mini crossover diagram looks like. But it doesn't look too similar in terms of component quantity to the Autograph Mini components.

1662579751603.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles