Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Strange to have HDMI inputs but no HDMI output.

Form the pics, the only AV output visible is the SCART connection. The single digital RCA will be audio only. Is there not an HDMI output hiding somewhere?

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How old is it ?  Is it a DVD recorder as it seems to have inputs for satellite and an analogue aerial. The main outward connection for connecting to a TV is the scart output - I'm not even sure that modern TVs have them any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah. Presumably the second picture is the TV. Mea culpa.

I've never tried one, but you can get SCART to HDMI converters. Seems like a waste, but you'd probably be just as well off getting a newer DVD player with an HDMI output. They're stupidly cheap these days...

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah. Presumably the second picture is the TV. Mea culpa.

I've never tried one, but you can get SCART to HDMI converters. Seems like a waste, but you'd probably be just as well off getting a newer DVD player with an HDMI output. They're stupidly cheap these days...
I didn't pick that up either :geek:

As Rabski says buy a new DVD or a Bluray player, an HDMI/Scart might be OK, Is there a resolution limit over component cables which might limit quality ?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IIRC, component video has a lower res, but I wouldn't want to be certain. Mind you, SCART does as well, I suspect.

We got a DVD player for the spare bedroom a couple of weeks back, as I had a similar problem. Google search and £24 for a new player. Seems a criminal waste, but it's indicative of the consumer electronics market that you can buy a DVD player that works perfectly well for less than the price of a couple of cables for an older one.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some makers eg Samsung have apparently abandoned including audio in a scart interface, so they've either redefined scart or only part-implemented it. My old telly requires a scart i/p, which is fed from a scart switch box, the box switches between the Samsung DVD player and the JVC VHS cassette player. The latter includes audio, and I used to be able to switch the audio and video together in one operation, taking the audio from the scart switch box to a separate stereo system with decent speakers either side of the telly. Can I do that now? Oh no. Samsung knew SO much better. So now I have to take an audio out from each source (bypassing the scart switch box altogether) to two separate line inputs on the stereo amplifier, making it a 2 stage operation to switch sources. "First world problem"? Maybe but if Samsung hadn't seen fit to redefine or ignore that scart interface I wouldn't have it.  :fight:

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Easiest way is to use a scart to Component/L/R adapter i.e.

42403356.jpg

Reactions: timmytiger

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Scart is the European term for that 21 pin connector on your DVD player. It was the standard for A/V input on most European CRT televisions. It will give you a 576i output and your TV will scale it to its native resolution. It's not going to look great, but DVD doesn't on HD sets (let alone 4K). Newer DVD players (or blu-ray/DVD players) have HDMI outputs, but yours must be pretty old.

Anyway, your TV does have YPbPr "component" inputs. This was effectively the equivalent to RGB Scart in other territories, so an RGB Scart to component cable/adapter is what you ideally want. Component is not to be confused with composite video, which is what the adapter above will give you. This does what it says on the tin, a "composite" of the Red Green and Blue that is then processed by the TV and will make a poor picture even worse (assuming your TV even has a composite input. There isn't one pictured.)

An RGB Scart to component cable might be hard to find so a Scart to HDMI adapter might be more likely, but I can't vouch for the quality of those. Just make sure it mentions RGB. I imagine that one of these will need to be powered as it’s essentially an A/D converter. 

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Scart is the European term for that 21 pin connector on your DVD player. It was the standard for A/V input on most European CRT televisions. It will give you a 576i output and your TV will scale it to its native resolution. It's not going to look great, but DVD doesn't on HD sets (let alone 4K). Newer DVD players (or blu-ray/DVD players) have HDMI outputs, but yours must be pretty old.

Anyway, your TV does have YPbPr "component" inputs. This was effectively the equivalent to RGB Scart in other territories, so an RGB Scart to component cable/adapter is what you ideally want. Component is not to be confused with composite video, which is what the adapter above will give you. This does what it says on the tin, a "composite" of the Red Green and Blue that is then processed by the TV and will make a poor picture even worse (assuming your TV even has a composite input. There isn't one pictured.)

An RGB Scart to component cable might be hard to find so a Scart to HDMI adapter might be more likely, but I can't vouch for the quality of those. Just make sure it mentions RGB. I imagine that one of these will need to be powered as it’s essentially an A/D converter. 
Its my understanding that the "Y" connector from the YPbPr  does handle composite as it has a dual colour green/yellow; yellow being composite.

• Upvote
Reactions: Warszawa

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its my understanding that the "Y" connector from the YPbPr  does handle composite as it has a dual colour green/yellow; yellow being composite.
Aha, good spot. Yes, a Scart to composite adapter is the simplest answer then. It's going to look crap but, as mentioned, the alternative adapters are a messy and relatively expensive way of doing things. I'd just buy a cheap blu-ray/DVD player.

• Upvote
Reactions: Bodgit

mr neds

Wammer
Wammer
May 6, 2008
SE London, , Uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Never even a dual colour rca socket before! I would think that a scart to component would be findable on eBay, but agree that a replacement player would be easier. Went into my BHF charity shop yesterday and they had at least one blu Ray player for £20. Old, but with a display, which a lot of cheap players don’t have nowadays 😉

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles