• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Help with turntable

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
I have a Pro-ject Debut II (I think that's the model- need to check- it might be SE?)- I'm not sure if it's working and I'd like to find out but think i would need help!

While I was at uni I subsisted musically on second hand vinyl, using my dads old Acoustic Research turntable. When I finished uni I bought a Project Debut II. I tried, and failed, to set it up. To be honest, I had no idea what I was doing- my previous deck had just 'worked'. I couldn't get it so that the arm would stay in the groove :p At that point I was moving away and basically lost interest. It's sat at my parents for however long and was pretty much forgotten about.

I came across it recently and I'm curious to see whether it works or not. I have a bunch of vinyl lying at my parents house as does my dad so it might be fun to explore.However, I don't have a phono stage (at the time I had a creek 4040 with inbuilt stage) or even a preamp to connect a phono stage to! I was thinking that if I could pick up a cheap phonostage I could use my headphone amp to listen/check if it's working (or maybe even a usb one to rip vinyl for streaming?)

So- what's the debut II like as far as turntables go (how much is it worth second hand?)? Should i bother doing anything with it :p ?

Any recommendations for a cheap phono for checking if the deck works? Do 'pro' usb interface things such as the behringer uca202 do RIAA equalisation or if you use these to archive vinyl does this have to be done digitally? I'd ideally like something cheap that can be used to listen via my headphone amp and also archive digitally for streaming. I wondered about the project phono box usb v but if there was something cheaper that would do the same job I'd go for that.

Last but not least, is there anyone near Edinburgh that could hold my hand as I try to set the deck up? :p

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Ok....It's actually a Pro-ject 1.2 (with Ortofon OMB 10 cartridge). Anyone know anything about this turntable and/or cartridge?

I have a behringer pp400 phono stage on order which I got for £14.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kinchitshaw