• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

hi fi news news flash

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
As of the 20th Feb Paul Miller takes up permanent postion of Editor

And as of June issue Ken Kessler returns as Senior Contributor

Think they where going to tell all at the Bristol Show this weekend :raoflmfao:

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
Wonderful!! This is going to upset the KK haters out there but I find his reviews as amusing as anything by Woody Allen. I'm not sure that's intentional though...

M

murray johnson

Paul Miller being editor is why Martin Colloms doesn't write for HFN any longer. They don't see eye to eye. Might also explain why MC had to set up his own magazine.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Makes no difference to me - I still will not read the magazines except to have a browse in Smiths whilst my lad is chosing his comics.

Ooh there is a thought there is more meaningful stuff in his comics than a hi fi magazine and they don't cost over £4.

As for KK being back damn its like a bloody stain on the carpet you cannot get rid of. Mind you he was useful he made me realise that A Gold was not too bad as far as reviewers go - the only troube is that none of them go far enough, China seems about the right distance.

Uzzy

julian2002

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the fact that whenever i've read his column he's never missed the opportunity to bash ipods, server based music, etc.

also i seem to remember him writing a piece saying that young people had appalling musical taste which is why the hi-fi industry is dying. i'd argue that it's attitudes such as his that are killing hi-fi and ostracizing younger people interested in sound quality.

even my supposedly shit 2nd system (a bang and olufsen 5000 with eltax sealed box speakers) can pull a decent soundstage from 192 mp3. now i'm not saying that's my preferred format or that it;s the pinnacle of hi-fi but kk is editorially condemning 'new blood' to £100 currys specials with his literary fartings.

he seems to be of the opinion that if you don;t sport a beard, listen to dusty old classical music preferably played on a wax cylinder then it's just not worth bothering about. the mans a dinosaur and should be put out to pasture or just stick to writing about watches.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
julian2002 wrote:

the fact that whenever i've read his column he's never missed the opportunity to bash ipods, server based music, etc. also i seem to remember him writing a piece saying that young people had appalling musical taste which is why the hi-fi industry is dying. i'd argue that it's attitudes such as his that are killing hi-fi and ostracizing younger people interested in sound quality.

even my supposedly shit 2nd system (a bang and olufsen 5000 with eltax sealed box speakers) can pull a decent soundstage from 192 mp3. now i'm not saying that's my preferred format or that it;s the pinnacle of hi-fi but kk is editorially condemning 'new blood' to £100 currys specials with his literary fartings.

he seems to be of the opinion that if you don;t sport a beard, listen to dusty old classical music preferably played on a wax cylinder then it's just not worth bothering about. the mans a dinosaur and should be put out to pasture or just stick to writing about watches.
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif

Exactly. People like him with his years of knowledge should be trying to educate the youngsters not mock them. He has an obvious love and enthusiasm for the hobby which he should be trying to get across to these people he does tend to mock. show them how an ipod into a quality amp/speaker can be of a benefit and then may be from there they would move in to other areas of hifi.

I rip my mp3 at 256 and even though I still prefer my cd/tt, there's no doubt in my mind that music at this rate is more than passable. When I'm doing stuff I just plug this into my amp, set it on random and let it go on it's own. Amazing how many records/cds I've then gone and listened to after being reminded of a track by doing this.

That's where you show where the new way of listening can meet the old.

Although to be fair I think his more into his crooners and 60's rockthan classical music.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
griffo104 wrote:

julian2002 wrote:
the fact that whenever i've read his column he's never missed the opportunity to bash ipods, server based music, etc. also i seem to remember him writing a piece saying that young people had appalling musical taste which is why the hi-fi industry is dying. i'd argue that it's attitudes such as his that are killing hi-fi and ostracizing younger people interested in sound quality.

Exactly. People like him with his years of knowledge should be trying to educate the youngsters not mock them. He has an obvious love and enthusiasm for the hobby which he should be trying to get across to these people he does tend to mock. show them how an ipod into a quality amp/speaker can be of a benefit and then may be from there they would move in to other areas of hifi.

I rip my mp3 at 256 and even though I still prefer my cd/tt, there's no doubt in my mind that music at this rate is more than passable. When I'm doing stuff I just plug this into my amp, set it on random and let it go on it's own. Amazing how many records/cds I've then gone and listened to after being reminded of a track by doing this.

That's where you show where the new way of listening can meet the old.

Although to be fair I think his more into his crooners and 60's rockthan classical music.
Years of knowledge? I would rather hear from the knowledge of people in here who give their honest forthright oppinion. These guy is a like a butterfly who flits from item to item without any consistency other than I find him consistently bad at reviewing.

He is like the Jeremy Clarkeson of the Hi Fi world except thatunlike Jeremey he is not witty or amusing and also unlike Jeremy he does not come out with the odd jem that everyone would agree with.

In fact I suppose he does us all a service because when I think about he he makes me look like i talk sense most of the time :nerd:which you guys know isn't so true :minikiev:

Uzzy:nerd:

julian2002

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the thing is magazines are only fit for advertising now - if you want to find out about hi-fi equipment you post on a forum like this or zg or pfm and more than likely someone will have some knowledge that they'll impart - if you're really lucky you can arrange a bakeoff and do some home auditioning too.

unless that is you're a beardy old luddite who thinks typing is for the little ladies in the steno pool. then you're kenny's demographic and you;re welcome to him.

i'll only ever spend money on 2 hi-fi rags (world and plush) world is my favourite and even then i only bought last months cos i was looking for a second system amp (good classified section) and they reviewed my main system amps (and got it spot on imho). plush cos of the smell...

i've not bought what, news or choice for ages and from the quick flick throughs in smiths or borders i feel justified in that decision.

as to his musical tastes, i doubt they intersect much with mine so this makes him doubly irrelevant to me.

edited to add....

i remeber clarkson when he was a printed word journo in fast lane or performance car. his columns were excelent, he won some quite serious journalism awards for them and deservedly so. comparing kk to him is like comparing tesco value mince to a fillet mignon.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
julian2002 wrote:

the thing is magazines are only fit for advertising now - if you want to find out about hi-fi equipment you post on a forum like this or zg or pfm and more than likely someone will have some knowledge that they'll impart - if you're really lucky you can arrange a bakeoff and do some home auditioning too.unless that is you're a beardy old luddite who thinks typing is for the little ladies in the steno pool. then you're kenny's demographic and you;re welcome to him.

i'll only ever spend money on 2 hi-fi rags (world and plush) world is my favourite and even then i only bought last months cos i was looking for a second system amp (good classified section) and they reviewed my main system amps (and got it spot on imho). plush cos of the smell...

i've not bought what, news or choice for ages and from the quick flick throughs in smiths or borders i feel justified in that decision.

as to his musical tastes, i doubt they intersect much with mine so this makes him doubly irrelevant to me.

edited to add....

i remeber clarkson when he was a printed word journo in fast lane or performance car. his columns were excelent, he won some quite serious journalism awards for them and deservedly so. comparing kk to him is like comparing tesco value mince to a fillet mignon.

I luvs Jeremy - but was trying to show how this guy tries to be like him and fails miserably. My mum said never trust anyone with a beard :nerd:nuff said

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
He's not into classical at all- he only uses 50's crooners and the like for his reviews. I can't complain about his dislike for downloads- like me he's a purist and resists anything that reduces hifi- (minidisc anyone?). Like most of you however I wish both his & virtually every other reviewers would actually TELL US what they think of the product IN COMPARISON to extant similarly priced gear. I'm not interested if the latest £5000 speakers are "better" than the £150 model the same firm produces- I want to know how they compare to other £5000 speakers & to "olde-world" favourites. I once asked HiFi World to put all 3 (now 4) Quad ELS's face to face- I'm not surprised they declined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawuschel