Hifi as it should be

Kiang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2005
Leeds, , United King
If I wanted to harness some of the best skills and talent to produce my hifi who would it be ?

Thought of Brunel , Kondo San and Faberge.

Which piece of kit lives up to the group above in your opinion .

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
Whilst all three have undoubted talents.

Was working at the V & A some years back and they had a Faberge exhibition showing,the workmanship was quite simply awesome.

Eds1000

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2006
i'm a big appreaciator of fine craftmanship, after yrs of being a craftsman designer(of contempory furniture),i'm a believer of less is more attitude,

nomatter how well a object is made or looks--it still has to do its function according to its pricebracket/value level.

So for me if something looks really sexy but doen't do its job correctly-then its a non-starter for moi.

I guess you could throw me on the brunel heap(all of his designs did as intended,& were not overly embelished).

Military hardware design thats the ticket.This is why i like a lot of american consumer products---the price/value/longivity ratio is mostly always correct.

Our version in the uk &europe is skewed as we always pay to many extra taxes ontop of our home made products.to me this throws the value factor way off.

regards. eds

Kiang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2005
Leeds, , United King
I included Brunel for his ability with problem solving - practically

Kondo for no-compramise attention to detail and know how

and Faberge for obvious reasons

Ants probably right - no kit lives up to it

Can you think of anything that comes close

Cost will not be an issue as the sum of these qualities belies any cost considerations

"Create cause you want it to exist"*

* copyright on my quote there

Eds1000

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2006
surely for hi-fi the main quantity has to be function -ie it has to play music well, everything else is secondary.

The art is in the mix match of components/layout/function & not art for arts sake as in a faberge egg which has no function,

regards.

Kiang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2005
Leeds, , United King
Eds1000 wrote:

surely for hi-fi the main quantity has to be function -ie it has to play music well, everything else is secondary.The art is in the mix match of components/layout/function & not art for arts sake as in a faberge egg which has no function,

regards.
ofcourse - the main quantity has to be function and most would be happy with just that.

But it is no secret that the human appreciates things on many fronts , having something that stimulates the senses on a multidisciplinary level is no bad thing especially as you are allowed in this situation to harness "limitless" resources both in talent and kind.

Often we see the top spec in any piece of kit by a given manufacturer is his no compramise offering to hifi. These aften are not appealing to us - thus is indicative of the limit of the manufacturers capabilities/skill/talent/resources.

What is it we have in hifi today that is truly par excellence ?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Eds1000 wrote:

surely for hi-fi the main quantity has to be function -ie it has to play music well, everything else is secondary.The art is in the mix match of components/layout/function & not art for arts sake as in a faberge egg which has no function,

regards.
In that case, hi-fi has no function, because music itself has no function, as is music not also justart for arts sake? The 'function' of a piece of Faberge is to give pleasure. It does thisby making itsbeauty visible through the mediumofexquisite craftsmanship.

Music issimilarly made real to us bythe craftsmanship of the maker of the instrument andtheskill of the person playing it. Adding reproduction equipmentjust means there are more links in the chain.

But as with the Faberge egg, the craftsmanship is not just in the manufacture. Does our equipment not also give us pleasure as a result of the way it looks and feels?

This works on all levels of the senses too. Personally, I get a great deal of pleasure from my equipment. I particularly like the sound that gloss perspex makes when being kicked, extremely bloody hard, after a particularly challenging modification goes tits up, but that's another story.

Eds1000

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2006
I think yrs of making nice challenging furniture designs has got to me ,i'm sort of bored with overly fancy stuff(more of a minimalist attitude).

One day a few yrs ago --i woke up on my dusty workshop floor after working into the early hours & realised i hadn't been fishing for 10 yrs.

The persuit of perfection doesn't do it for me anymore(but thats me), you both trumped me with your counterperspectives,--enjoy the bling.

something like a verdier tt is just way over the top to moi.

regards.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I really can't think of anything that reaches near those standards (tho I see why you ask... imagine the mix...jeez...and imagine the cost!!
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
)

Maybe some of the following are tying to get close?

Koetsu

Croft

SME

Audio research

Sonus faber

Krell

?

E

earl of sodbury

While I also think Ant's earlier commentis fundamentally right, two who (IMHO) take a good stab at it are Ensemble and Audio Acoustics - neither are gratuitously glamorous, but both are manufactured and engineered with terrific love, care and attention to detail.

Oh, and I nearly forgot to mention
f_doh.gif.2bfa1ec008d0c8800eee305d3a30be23.gif
- they sound GORGEOUS
500000033.gif.92511e2005a900cfb9bb836a01712b3a.gif

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Some of the best sounding kit I have heard looked like a bag of shit, the build quality was crap and it broke down every few weeks but was and still is the best I have heard
biggrin.png

I wish I had kept it
sad.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online