• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Hifi streaming

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,

Currently, I cast my phone to a Google Chromecast which is hardwired into a DAC which in turn is hardwired into the amp. It's glitchy, keeps dropping the signal and switching off though, and means my phone needs to be in close proximity. It also takes ages to connect sometimes, and finally, I'm pretty sure it's an excellent way of degrading a signal.

Dan
Dan, please tell us about your router, where is it in relation to your Chromecast ?
Is this the TV version of the chromecast or the Audio version?
Does your router provide 2.4 and 5.0 GHz wireless at the same time ?
If so, have you tried to seperate the signal bands (a seperate SSID for each band) ?
Google will help you find the user manual

ronnie

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Nottingham
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have never, ever experienced this behaviour:unsure:
I am sure that there are lots of happy Spotify users but when using Spotify Connect with my Auralic or Innuos when playing a song then using the phone for a non-Spotify activity then returning to Spotify the App has disconnected and needs to be closed and opened again. When the Innuos Sense App first came out it did the same thing but they fixed it quickly in a new release. My Auralic looses connection in the same way about 5% of the time when playing Tidal or streaming CDs. It’s just Spotify that’s a problem (using an iPhone).

By the way am still enjoying your old 909!

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,
I read here avidly though rarely post, and the advice I'm looking for is probably too simplistic for the forum elsewhere.
I'm about to change music streaming to Tidal. I have a really good amp and speakers, and a decent cd player.
I really love hifi music, but I also like the convenience of streaming. This far I've been on Amazon music unlimited, but I'm switching to Tidal for various reasons which I'll go into if asked, but anyhow.
Currently, I cast my phone to a Google Chromecast which is hardwired into a DAC which in turn is hardwired into the amp. It's glitchy, keeps dropping the signal and switching off though, and means my phone needs to be in close proximity. It also takes ages to connect sometimes, and finally, I'm pretty sure it's an excellent way of degrading a signal.
What I'm looking for as a dedicated device which will either plug into my DAC or straight into the amp if it has a self contained DAC, and will run Tidal without needing my phone or other external device.
Does such a thing exist??
Thanks for any help.
Dan
Dan - The rest of your system certainly deserves a proper streamer. There's tons to choose from, but don't use a phone or PC for anything other than control. Keep the signal confined to audio components that are designed for HiFi.

The obvious suggestion is the relatively inexpensive (£500) Bluesound Node. This is a good streamer that you hard-wire (if possible) to your router and it feeds your existing DAC via its coax digital output. It has a built-in DAC but your existing one is almost certainly better.

For a better quality unit, consider the NAD C658 Streamer / DAC at about £1600. This has a far better feature list and will sound better than the Node. Its DAC may well match or better your existing one, in which case you could consider selling it to part-fund the NAD.

Both the Bluesound and NAD use the BluOS control app (download onto any of 5 platforms including your phone, your PC or even an old Amazon Kindle! This is arguably the best control app out there and it's an important consideration with streamers that the user-interface is excellent.

Incidentally you may prefer QoBuz over Tidal. Both offer vast lists of music at CD quality, but QoBuz also has lots at genuine High Resolution level, whereas Tidal offer MQA encoded files that may or may not sound better than CD quality. In any event MQA needs an MQA compatible processor, which the Bluesound and NAD both have. Both QoBuz and Tidal offer free trial periods of a month or so. Good luck. Peter

Flatty

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2013
Sunny manchester
AKA
Dan
Dan, please tell us about your router, where is it in relation to your Chromecast ?
Is this the TV version of the chromecast or the Audio version?
Does your router provide 2.4 and 5.0 GHz wireless at the same time ?
If so, have you tried to seperate the signal bands (a seperate SSID for each band) ?
Google will help you find the user manual

ronnie
Thanks Ronnie. The WiFi does indeed have separate bands, and the router isn't far away. As far as I can tell though, I have to connect the phone by Bluetooth to the Chromecast (audio).
Presumably this will just degrade the quality.
Would I be better having a dedicated iPad and try and find a way of hardwiring this (if that's possible) to the DAC, or is there a single piece of equipment that I can connect to the DAC or directly to the amp, which will stream a playlist without needing a phone or an iPad or computer?

Flatty

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2013
Sunny manchester
AKA
Dan
Dan - The rest of your system certainly deserves a proper streamer. There's tons to choose from, but don't use a phone or PC for anything other than control. Keep the signal confined to audio components that are designed for HiFi.

The obvious suggestion is the relatively inexpensive (£500) Bluesound Node. This is a good streamer that you hard-wire (if possible) to your router and it feeds your existing DAC via its coax digital output. It has a built-in DAC but your existing one is almost certainly better.

For a better quality unit, consider the NAD C658 Streamer / DAC at about £1600. This has a far better feature list and will sound better than the Node. Its DAC may well match or better your existing one, in which case you could consider selling it to part-fund the NAD.

Both the Bluesound and NAD use the BluOS control app (download onto any of 5 platforms including your phone, your PC or even an old Amazon Kindle! This is arguably the best control app out there and it's an important consideration with streamers that the user-interface is excellent.

Incidentally you may prefer QoBuz over Tidal. Both offer vast lists of music at CD quality, but QoBuz also has lots at genuine High Resolution level, whereas Tidal offer MQA encoded files that may or may not sound better than CD quality. In any event MQA needs an MQA compatible processor, which the Bluesound and NAD both have. Both QoBuz and Tidal offer free trial periods of a month or so. Good luck. Peter
Thanks so much. So how does it work? Is Tidal or quboz already loaded onto the bluesound or NAD, and the phone just tells it what to do?

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks so much. So how does it work? Is Tidal or quboz already loaded onto the bluesound or NAD, and the phone just tells it what to do?
Once you have your streamer connected to the router and your DAC (or directly to amp if you use the built-in DAC), you need to subscribe to a streaming service such as Tidal or QoBuz. This costs about £15-20 per month and allows you to stream CD quality (or better) music through your system.

BluOS (the control app) can be downloaded to whatever platform you prefer to use to control the streamer - ie to select the source (streaming service, music stored on your NAS or PC, TV music, world-wide radio stations, Paradise Radio, etc etc), and to search for music available to add to your Queue or Playlist of music lined up to listen to. Lots of other functions too.

It may be helpful if you visit your local Sevenoaks HiFi store for a demonstration of a Blusound or NAD streamer and play about with the BluOS app in the store. If you're new to streaming, this will be an eye-opener to the wonderful world of having umteen millions of albums at your fingertips! You'll never buy a CD or record again, so the subscription cost is a real bargain. Peter

Reactions: Flatty

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Ronnie. The WiFi does indeed have separate bands, and the router isn't far away. As far as I can tell though, I have to connect the phone by Bluetooth to the Chromecast (audio).
Would I be better having a dedicated iPad and try and find a way of hardwiring this (if that's possible) to the DAC, or is there a single piece of equipment that I can connect to the DAC or directly to the amp, which will stream a playlist without needing a phone or an iPad or computer?
Really confused about the bluetooth to the Chromecast, mine connects over Wifi using the Google home app. Never used bluetooth to connect to the chromecast.

The google Home app defines the devices, so my chromecast is called "family room" as that's where it is and then I cast to it from the chrome browser or an app such as Amazon music it asks which device to connect to.

You declare other Google devices such as the Nest in the same way so I can cast to either the chromecast in the living room or the Nest device in the bedroom or kitchen. This is all over your wifi not bluetooth so you don't need your phone close to a device.

Also when I was having dropouts I bought one of these :

This allows you to plug an ethernet cable in to the plug and then plug this in to the chromecast so no longer have to worry about the wifi as such as you are hardwiring it. Sadly, typical of google, they have stopped selling it when they discontinued the chromecast but it may be worth a look on eBay for one.

This may be a cheaper solution than buying more hardware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawrence001

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Really confused about the bluetooth to the Chromecast, mine connects over Wifi using the Google home app. Never used bluetooth to connect to the chromecast.

The google Home app defines the devices, so my chromecast is called "family room" as that's where it is and then I cast to it from the chrome browser or an app such as Amazon music it asks which device to connect to.

You declare other Google devices such as the Nest in the same way so I can cast to either the chromecast in the living room or the Nest device in the bedroom or kitchen. This is all over your wifi not bluetooth so you don't need your phone close to a device.

Also when I was having dropouts I bought one of these :

This allows you to plug an ethernet cable in to the plug and then plug this in to the chromecast so no longer have to worry about the wifi as such as you are hardwiring it. Sadly, typical of google, they have stopped selling it when they discontinued the chromecast but it may be worth a look on eBay for one.

This may be a cheaper solution than buying more hardware.
I second ther suggestion by @griffo104, in fact my link in post #4 did the same, in a more convoluted manner perhaps :rolleyes:

I can vouch for its efficacity (y)

Otherwise I suggest setting up the Router to provide a seperate SSID for each band and tethering the CCA to either the 5.0 or 2.4 GHz band and connecting by Wi-Fi.

ronnie

Flatty

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2013
Sunny manchester
AKA
Dan
Once you have your streamer connected to the router and your DAC (or directly to amp if you use the built-in DAC), you need to subscribe to a streaming service such as Tidal or QoBuz. This costs about £15-20 per month and allows you to stream CD quality (or better) music through your system.

BluOS (the control app) can be downloaded to whatever platform you prefer to use to control the streamer - ie to select the source (streaming service, music stored on your NAS or PC, TV music, world-wide radio stations, Paradise Radio, etc etc), and to search for music available to add to your Queue or Playlist of music lined up to listen to. Lots of other functions too.

It may be helpful if you visit your local Sevenoaks HiFi store for a demonstration of a Blusound or NAD streamer and play about with the BluOS app in the store. If you're new to streaming, this will be an eye-opener to the wonderful world of having umteen millions of albums at your fingertips! You'll never buy a CD or record again, so the subscription cost is a real bargain. Peter
Thanks, I was a very earlier adopter of streaming, initially Sony music unlimited, then Spotify, then apple (deleted my playlist after spending a week making it) so then Amazon, but this keeps deleting songs. I'll see can I go into a shop I think, and try and get to grips with it. The router is unfortunately in another room.

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
Thanks, I was a very earlier adopter of streaming, initially Sony music unlimited, then Spotify, then apple (deleted my playlist after spending a week making it) so then Amazon, but this keeps deleting songs. I'll see can I go into a shop I think, and

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, I was a very earlier adopter of streaming, initially Sony music unlimited, then Spotify, then apple (deleted my playlist after spending a week making it) so then Amazon, but this keeps deleting songs. I'll see can I go into a shop I think, and try and get to grips with it. The router is unfortunately in another room.
As long as the router is reasonably close to the streamer (next room maybe), wi-fi should be pretty reliable. Many users rely on wifi for streaming - it doesn't require the bandwidth that gaming or video streaming does. Well that's my understanding! Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx