Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I'm bumping this. Might start a new thread. Recapping above for anyone can't be bothered to re-read....

Current kit:

- Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC - IMO straight amazing and sounds utterly excellent.

Maybe a Mojo 1 or 2 might better it, mmm, maybe? Has anyone owned these to compare? But I'm also colourblind and not sure if I'd understand all the buttons?!

- Sennheiser IE800S in-ear headphones. Until a few months ago, their top of line in-ears... Just wow headphones!! Ludicrously good! These make me wonder why my kit costs so much when in-ears can sound like this.... Listening right now as I type... Just mind-blowing... Very impressive indeed.

-Oppo PM3 Planar Magnetics - impressive, but not even near the Senns above, we're in ballparks country miles apart here.
Great over ears and I do love them. But not close. At all. These will be going soon. Bump for anyone interested in a minty pair??

- Audio Technica MSR7. As recommended in above stream. Yeah, these are actually pretty darn decent! In fact much better than that, these are great, imo! For £50 this is in the best purchases I've ever made. That good! I prefer them to the Oppo's I own which I'll prob move along soon.

My thinking is I now need to invest in a very decent headphone rig. Let's assume over ear plus headphone amp.

Where do I begin?
What stuff do I read, and where?

I'll be very loose on budget to start. It must match my Senn IE800S combo, and beyond, I will pay to have my jaw hit the floor.
Thanks peeps.
Headphones like speakers is a very personal thing. So all I can do is give a very subjective opinion. FWIW I bought early 2000s Sonus Faber Electa Amator 2, Harbeths 5 & 3 and more recently ATC loudspeakers; so that might give a clue about what headphones I like.

I have heard the majority of headphones. But my criteria is comfort first and so as some headphones were very heavy and uncomfortable it didn’t matter about the sound.

The ones that stood out to me were

In 3rd place Focal at £1000 and £3000 but too bling and can’t change ear pads.

In 2nd place Senn 800s with a Leben CS300 XS was stunning. Without valves the Senns were too much of a good thing and too fatiguing.

In joint first place Stax 007 with their valve, but not, ss energiser.

Joint first place Meze Empyreans didn’t necessarily need an amp to sound great.

Honourable mention to Dan Clark at £1000.

It’s interesting that I liked the planar headphones yet am 50/50 on electrostatic speakers.

Last edited:

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
However, my thinking is I now need to invest in a very decent headphone rig. Let's assume over ear plus headphone amp.

Chord Mojo is ok I have one that I use on occasion but is still considerd the bottom of the tree so to speak. Maybe Hugo or Kann if you wish to remain some portability.

Reactions: Amormusic

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Certainly enjoy using speakers and headphones, each is enjoyed for different reasons I don't feel there are comprises each provides a different perspective from which to enjoy music. Those intimate nuances and breatheness of a singers voice, fingers on strings, shimmering cymbals that can be so beguiling are often harder to appreciate on many a speaker system.

Doesn't matter if speakers or headphones if it's immersive and sucks you into the music and gets your toes tapping that's what matters to me.

Ps when relaxing eyes closed laying down on my couch its annoying with speakers when out of the sweat spot it plays havoc with the sound for reclined listening headphones are very enjoyable.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally, I can't get on with headphones. Owned a pair of Grado SR60i a few years ago. The welter of detail was gnawing away at my eardrums. After about 10 minutes it was like fingernails down a blackboard. Dreadful things.

It's odd that detail on speakers is no problem. I can only guess is because headphones are rammed against the side of your head. That's why I just have a cheapo set of Sony cans -- mainly used for the PC or SmartPhone.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally, I can't get on with headphones. Owned a pair of Grado SR60i a few years ago. The welter of detail was gnawing away at my eardrums. After about 10 minutes it was like fingernails down a blackboard. Dreadful things.
That's what Grados do, well known for their enthusiastic treble.
Some people love it, others (like you and me) aren't so keen.

There are lots of headphones with a flatter response, you should have tried one of those.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's what Grados do, well known for their enthusiastic treble.
Some people love it, others (like you and me) aren't so keen.

There are lots of headphones with a flatter response, you should have tried one of those.
I have owned Sennheisers before. They are much better, still not totally convinced

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles