• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

high quality ply-wood

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
I'm hopefully going to take a few days off workin the coming weeksto get the plinth for the Sony made (he says - we shall see
wink.png
).

I was wondering where I should go to getgood quality marine(?) type plywood? Will the local Homebase/B&Q have it, or do I need to have a look in the Yellow Pages for a local timber merchant?

Also, is there a specific type of ply I should be looking out for?

Unfortunately, probably won't be going for an aluminium sandwich type plinth on this first attempt - not enough time to sort out the CAD and the CNCing, but maybe in the future after I've tried this one, which will be a plain 'lots of layers of ply' design like the ones of the DD museum.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
actually, just found a local(ish) timber yard that sells birch ply of the right thickness - so will give them a ring and see if they will do small orders
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

Setting Son

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 10, 2006
W Yorks.
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Russell,

The big B&Q's (Warehouse?) do 18mm birch ply. They'll also cut it for you.

hth

jagdesign

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
London
Setting Son wrote:

Russell,The big B&Q's (Warehouse?) do 18mm birch ply. They'll also cut it for you.

hth
B&Q's plywood certainly isn't high quality, I built a guitar cab usingthe exact stuffa couple of years ago.

The nicest ply is marine grade, you can get it from most timber merchants and it can look stunning.Pricey though;)

jagdesign

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
London
Yeah some of it's not bad, I wouldn't want to make a TT plinthfromit though.

Dunno if it'd be big enough buthow aboutmodding a beech chopping board like this one

30%5C167348.jpg

Really nice timber, great to work with, shouldn't warp at all and best of all they're less than a tenner (if I remembered that correctly) from Asda. I bought one a while ago and ended up using it to make a guitar body:)

JPG

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2007
Bristol
AKA
James
Yep- Tesco do one of those, too. Not really big enough for a TT though.

Marine ply is void-free, and with nicer plys and waterproof glue. WBP- the stuff you will get from B&Q is cheap and has lots of voids in it- mini resonance chambers. Loveley.

TigerTiger

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2006
Scotland
AKA
George
Aircraft grade birch ply.. cost, probably around 500 beer vouchers a sheet, dont know where to get it, but it does exist, anddef audiophool :note:

If your interested I have some contacts...

Cheers

Geo.

soupdragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2006
Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ask for furniture grade birch ply

may need a variety of thicknesses to getthe plinth thickness to accomodate the bolts of the DD deck - sandwich effect.

liam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Youngedennis