How Bass Traps (Acoustic Absorbers) Complement EQ

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Inspired by another thread today, I've made some quick measurements to compare the effects of both EQ and acoustic absorbers on specifically decay times. The comparison used Dirac Live (but just a single measurement point) and two Rockwool corner bass traps (one 1200 x 600 x 600 mm and the other 1200 x 600 x 300 mm). The responses shown is using a Power Sound Audio S1510 subwoofer crossed over to a pair of Edifier S300 Pro main speakers at 110 Hz.

With no EQ or bass traps, I measured the following response at the listening position. (For those not familar, this is a waterfall plot, showing frequency left-to-right and time front-to-back. At each frequency, the further forward the signal still shows, the slower the decay.)

Waterfall - R Combo No EQ No BTs.jpg

Applying EQ just up to 180 Hz and re-measureing at the exact same position gave the following result:

Waterfall - R Combo +EQ No BTs.jpg

The effect of the EQ is seen not only in terms of the initial bass response (back of the graph) being much smoother but also how the bass notes don't persist at high levels for so long compared to the higher frequencies. The rate of decay of bass notes hasn't actually decreased but they get to lower levels sooner purely by virtue of being lower to begin with.

What is needed to genuinely increase the rate of decay is absorption. Putting my bass traps back into position, making a measurement to generate a different EQ correction filter specific to this situation but with the same target curve, I got the following:

Waterfall - R Combo +EQ +BTs.jpg

Comparing this to the blue plot above, the added benefit of the bass traps on the decay is seen most clearly between 50 and 100 Hz, although there are smaller reductions at higher frequencies too. The initial response is also slightly smoother with the bass traps in place due to there being a little less for the EQ to try to compensate for.

For completeness, here's what the response looks like with the bass traps in place but without any EQ:

Waterfall - R Combo No EQ +BTs.jpg

In this particular example it's pretty clear the EQ has the bigger effect, but the bass traps I have offer a further, and different, improvement. More money and space for acoustic treatments could I'm sure make this a closer 'fight' though. The above is all just at a single point as well, whereas another benefit of bass traps is to reduce the variation in response with position.

Last edited:

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I posted this photo in another thread I thought I'd add it here, since it gives a better idea of the size and location of the acoustic absorbers used. I plan to cover them in some grey fabric once I've finalised what will be staying long term.

Back of room.jpg

Last edited:

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually I responded there from the perspective of when using EQ as well. If you meant in isolation then just compare the first and last waterfall plots to see what the effect is.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
By what 1-2dB 
If you're interested in the effect on the frequency response peaks then the graphs in the thread I linked to above will show this better. The point of this thread was to focus on decay time effects - hence the waterfall plots.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Inspired by another thread today, I've made some quick measurements to compare the effects of both EQ and acoustic absorbers on specifically decay times. The comparison used Dirac Live (but just a single measurement point) and two Rockwool corner bass traps (one 1200 x 600 x 600 mm and the other 1200 x 600 x 300 mm). The responses shown is using a Power Sound Audio S1510 subwoofer crossed over to a pair of Edifier S300 Pro main speakers at 110 Hz. 

With no EQ or bass traps, I measured the following response at the listening postion. (For those not familar, this is a waterfall plot, showing frequency left-to-right and time front-to-back. At each frequency, the further forward the signal still shows, the slower the decay.)

klipsch 3.jpg

Applying EQ just up to 180 Hz and re-measureing at the exact same position gave the following result:

PXL_20221125_115326911.jpg

The effect of the EQ is seen not only in terms of the initial bass response (back of the graph) being much smoother but also how the bass notes don't persist at high levels for so long compared to the higher frequencies. The rate of decay of bass notes hasn't actually decreased but they get to lower levels sooner purely by virtue of being lower to begin with.

What is needed to genuinely increase the rate of decay is absorption. Putting my bass traps back into position, making a measurement to generate a different EQ correction filter specific to this situation but with the same target curve, I got the following:

PXL_20221125_115316759.jpg

Comparing this to the blue plot above, the added benefit of the bass traps on the decay is seen most clearly between 50 and 100 Hz, although there are smaller reductions at higher frequencies too. The initial response is also slightly smoother with the bass traps in place due to there being a little less for the EQ to try to compensate for.

For completeness, here's what the resposne looks like with the bass traps in place but without any EQ:

PXL_20221125_115331630.jpg

In this particular example it's pretty clear the EQ has the bigger effect, but the bass traps I have offer a further, and different, improvement. More money and space for acoustic treatments could I'm sure make this a closer 'fight' though. The above is all just at a single point as well, whereas another benefit of bass traps is to reduce the variation in response with position.
Good job! As I expected the combination of EQ and traps gives the best results.

Perhaps you could reduce the frequency (X) scale to 20-300Hz or 2-500Hz on your plots for a clearer picture.

I think that the biggest challenge with bass traps is getting the bandwith right, amplitude also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ceko

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
Zuid Holland, NL
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very interesting! If I understand correctly you use bass traps in order to get rid of large decay times and EQ in order to bring volume down?

I have a question though. I have these spots in my room where bass tends to sound too loud. Usually the higher corners of the wall behind me. Any tips on getting that more in control?

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very interesting! If I understand correctly you use bass traps in order to get rid of large decay times and EQ in order to bring volume down?

I have a question though. I have these spots in my room where bass tends to sound too loud. Usually the higher corners of the wall behind me. Any tips on getting that more in control?
That is the effect of room modes, uneven bass response which is different in some spots like you have found. Depending on the frequency, the right sort of bass traps for the particular frequencies will reduce the uneven bass effect.

Ceko

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
Zuid Holland, NL
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is the effect of room modes, uneven bass response which is different in some spots like you have found. Depending on the frequency, the right sort of bass traps for the particular frequencies will reduce the uneven bass effect.
Ah cool, so I’ll have to figure out the frequency and find what bass trap catches that frequency 👍

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles