Linn Owners

How does the Exakt link work

anatius

Wammer
Oct 27, 2021
I would like to know how the Exakt links operate. I sought advice from Linn as how I should set up my 5.1 surround system and was told that one Exakt speaker would be connected to the Hub and that speaker should be connected by its Exact link to the other Exact speaker. The Hub's remaining link should be connected to the Exaktbox and the Urika ll's Exact link should be connected to either of the remaining links in the Exactbox or Exact speaker. I am not disputing the advice I am just bewildered by the complexity of the Exact link. Does each link provide for 2 channels of data?

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
In a stereo setup, yes. Everything goes via Exaktlink and the receiving device takes from that what it needs.

’troll
How about if I have a 2 channel Exakt system with Urika 2 that is daisy chained as such; DSM>left channel>right channel>Urika 2?

So the music signal from the Urika 2 would travel through the two speakers to the DSM, then the signal would go the other direction to the speakers?

Last edited:

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How about if I have a 2 channel Exakt system with Urika 2 that is daisy chained as such; DSM>left channel>right channel>Urika 2?

So the music signal from the Urika 2 would travel through the two speakers to the DSM, then the signal would go the other direction to the speakers?
Indeed. Even more complicated if you have an Exakt surround system, where all channels are present on the Exaktlink. I find it easier to think of Exakt as a “data bus” rather than carrying a music signal.

I presume that your system is wired like mine - Urika into KDSM Hub, Hub to speaker 1, speaker 1 to speaker 2?

’troll

Last edited:
Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Indeed. Even more complicated if you have an Exakt surround system, where all channels are present on the Exaktlink. I find it easier to think of Exakt as a “data bus” rather than carrying a music signal.

I presume that your system is wired like mine - Urika into KDSM Hub, Hub to speaker 1, speaker 1 to speaker 2?

’troll
My hifi system is digital, but my brain is still analogue. I tend to think of things as signal traveling in a direction. My point was to demonstrate that this analogue way of thinking doesn't apply to Exakt. I like the "data bus" model. All information is available everywhere on the "network."

Yes. Mine is wired like yours.

anatius

Wammer
Oct 27, 2021

’troll
Thank you Moomintroll. What I found most confusing was that in my set-up the Urika ll connection completely bypassed the hub.

The Snug

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I looked at Linn Docs for direction on setup of my two channel system when adding the Urika, my simple linear logic found it illogical. On chatting to Linn, I found out that my KSH has four exakt ports rather than the "normal" two. Their instructions apply to twin port hubs, and the options for a four port hub configuration are not listed. I was then able to relax about having my Urika plugged into the KSH, and a separate exakt link from the KSH to each speaker. No daisy-chain involved. Linear logic intact. Mind you I suppose I could have saved on a couple of meters of exakt link cable by daisy-chaining rather than my old school approach of having both speaker leads the same length.

This whole digital world is a wonder and I am having to understand things I never knew I had to understand.

Reactions: akamatsu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj10au