How good is Ekstatik?

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So how good is the Ekstatik?

I'm assuming (@IanH) that the A/B comparison with the Kandid at WYSAH was between two identical decks, i.e. both driven by new Radikal/motor – the only difference being the cartridge? (The current Klimax LP12 is better than the previous due in part to the Ekstatik and in part to the new Radikal/motor).

Those of us with Lyra Kleos (@Daveyf) will be interested to know how the Ekstatik compares to the Lyra Etna Lambda in a Rad2 system (cost to switch is about the same with Kleos trade-in). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kryno

frans5508

Wammer
Wammer
May 24, 2020
Panama
AKA
Frans
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm assuming (@IanH) that the A/B comparison with the Kandid at WYSAH was between two identical decks, i.e. both driven by new Radikal/motor – the only difference being the cartridge? (The current Klimax LP12 is better than the previous due in part to the Ekstatik and in part to the new Radikal/motor).
I'll be able to run this A/B test between Kandid and Ekstatik at the end of January when the dealer comes to install the Ekstatik. We're planning to have a listening session before and after. We'll do this before we install the new motor. Although I already pulled the trigger, I am curious about the improvement. I'll circle back and share my findings (will be bias and subjective as i'll have to justify my cost but will try to be as honest as i can ;-)  )

Daveyf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So how good is the Ekstatik?

Those of us with Lyra Kleos (@Daveyf) will be interested to know how the Ekstatik compares to the Lyra Etna Lambda in a Rad2 system (cost to switch is about the same with Kleos trade-in). 
Agreed, this is going to be the question for those contemplating an upgrade. The Lyra Etna Lambda is a very fine cartridge indeed, one that I think would be very difficult to better at anything near its price range. The new Ekstatik will have its work cut out.

Btw, did anyone else notice that on the Linn web page, the Ekstatik is described as having flying leads for the cartridge pins, even though the photos of the cartridge do NOT show this?

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Btw, did anyone else notice that on the Linn web page, the Ekstatik is described as having flying leads for the cartridge pins, even though the photos of the cartridge do NOT show this?
Wouldn’t be the first time that the website has been incorrect.

’troll

• Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agreed, this is going to be the question for those contemplating an upgrade. The Lyra Etna Lambda is a very fine cartridge indeed, one that I think would be very difficult to better at anything near its price range. The new Ekstatik will have its work cut out.

@Daveyf I presume from the above that you have heard the Etna Lambda? How would you describe the improvement over the Kleos? (I currently have the Kleos SL, which works beautifully with Urika II – don't know if your Kleos the SL version?)

Ian H

Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
Charvil - Berks
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
“..I'm assuming (@IanH) that the A/B comparison with the Kandid at WYSAH was between two identical decks, i.e. both driven by new Radikal/motor – the only difference being the cartridge? (The current Klimax LP12 is better than the previous due in part to the Ekstatik and in part to the newRadikal/motor).”

You assume correctly.  The comparison was between two identical decks, the only difference being the cartridge.  Colin at WYSAH has the resources, knowledge and expertise to set up two identical decks such that a meaningful comparison can be made.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Both the Kandid and Exstatik have been optimised to work with the EkosSE. When I come to replace my Kandid, I can’t imagine that I will consider anything other than an Exstatik or another Kandid. It doesn’t make sense to me to consider anything else. However, if I wasn’t using an EkosSE, then I probably wouldn’t be considering the Linn cartridges. Horses for courses.

’troll

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Both the Kandid and Exstatik have been optimised to work with the EkosSE. When I come to replace my Kandid, I can’t imagine that I will consider anything other than an Exstatik or another Kandid. It doesn’t make sense to me to consider anything else. However, if I wasn’t using an EkosSE, then I probably wouldn’t be considering the Linn cartridges. Horses for courses.

’troll
I probably wouldn't be considering anything other than an Ekstatik either if I had a Kandid. But since I already have a Kleos SL – which I know works very well indeed in the Ekos SE – it makes a lot of sense to keep options open (as I said, same cost to change given the Lyra trade-in for an Etna).

I'm hoping to be able to home-dem the Ekstatik in my system. If I'm not sufficiently impressed, for example if I feel I'm missing something I love about the Lyra character, I'll buy the Etna 'sight unseen' (or rather 'sound unheard')!

Daveyf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Daveyf I presume from the above that you have heard the Etna Lambda? How would you describe the improvement over the Kleos? (I currently have the Kleos SL, which works beautifully with Urika II – don't know if your Kleos the SL version?)
I have heard both version of the Etna, old and new. The Lambda is slightly more resolving. As to the difference between them and the Kleos, I think the Etna’s (both versions) are slightly more extended in their bass resolution and a little wider in the soundstage. This could have also been attributed to the different arms that they were all mounted in..as the Etna’s were mounted on a Basis Vector 4 and my experience with the Kleos is on my arm and a friends Ekos SE. 

My Kleos is the standard version, as that mates better with my tube phono stage…

Reactions: pirov

Hermann

Trust your ears...
New Wammer
Mar 29, 2020
Ruhrgebiet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had the opportunity to hear both pickup systems on the same LP12. Just the arm was exchanged.
The difference is huge from my point of view. If the Linnsystem (KLp12, Kandid, Urika2, KRadikal 2, DSM and Akubarik, the big one) sounded pretty boring, the Ekstatik lifted the system to a whole new level. It sounded musical in the best sense that I could not avoid ordering. It is actually able to turn a boring system into a pretty good musical system. And it didn't even have 20 hours of playing time on the meter. Amazing...

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had the opportunity to hear both pickup systems on the same LP12. Just the arm was exchanged.
The difference is huge from my point of view. If the Linnsystem (KLp12, Kandid, Urika2, KRadikal 2, DSM and Akubarik, the big one) sounded pretty boring, the Ekstatik lifted the system to a whole new level. It sounded musical in the best sense that I could not avoid ordering. It is actually able to turn a boring system into a pretty good musical system. And it didn't even have 20 hours of playing time on the meter. Amazing...
I have virtually the same system (Urika2 and Exakt Akubariks), including NGDSM Hub, but with Lyra Kleos SL (the presentation is very musical and certainly not boring!). My concern with the Ekstatik is that it might be rather over-analytical in an all-Exakt system which is already highly detailed and revealing (even more so as a result of recent upgrades) so I am interested in your conclusion that 'Ekstatik lifted the system to whole new level' in terms of musicality.  

Reactions: akamatsu

Hermann

Trust your ears...
New Wammer
Mar 29, 2020
Ruhrgebiet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First, I want to correct that it was not the Akubarik, but the KLIMAX 350.  Unfortunately, I do not know very well in this area in the Linn environment, hence the error by ignorance. Sorry.

I think that is quite easy to answer. Although the dealer's system was not set up correctly, the Ekstatik transformed a boring system in a musical way that I spontaneously ordered. I have written elsewhere that a curtain falls, but this does not describe very precisely what actually happened. A bloated bass suddenly sounded right after the swap, relaxed and important, the bass notes were very clear to follow. Mids and highs, which previously sounded quite restrained, blended seamlessly into the action. Previously, there was a break between bass and mids/treble that disappeared after the arm/Ekstatik swap. Musical experience was suddenly in the room. I could not determine an unnatural analytical reproduction. Rather an amount of musical  information in the right relation to each other.

After many upgrades in all areas, this is the most distinctive I have ever heard from a cartridge.

Hermann

Trust your ears...
New Wammer
Mar 29, 2020
Ruhrgebiet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thats certainly not a problem akamatsu the Kandid sounds really musical. ;-)

In this respect, my expectation of the Ekstatik is very high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online