• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

How precious/elitst are you about music?

thommo

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2005
Essex, , United King
I'm really don't think I am: I like what I like, don't like what I don't like,and don't get the arse with either:-

1. the people making the music I don't really fancy,

2. people not liking the music I do, or

3. people liking music that I don't.

But I've noticed some people who do appear almost insulted bymusic being made that they don't like, and even moreinsulted when it gets approval by critics and the general public alike.

Case in point - Mika. I like the album, and don't really give a rodent's rectum if anyone else does, but the invective being hurled his way was what made me think, "Why are people so bothered? Just don't listen."

People also appear offended by an artistwhen a follow up to an album they like is not what they wanted, and both album and artist get roundly vilified for it.

Case in point -the treatment the Kaiser Chief's album is getting.

All of which leads me to theconclusion (albeit possibly incorrect)that people are wildly overreacting,saying they "hate" generally popular stuff, or indeed that it's "shite",to retain a veneer of elitism.

I just think "No-one's forcing, say, classical, down my Greg. I know people love it, does nothing for me. Works for them, more power to their elbow. Life's too short to get the arse. Vote with your wallet."

Or am I wildly off the mark?

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am wildly over reacting when I say I "hate" the Kaiser Cheifs. I simply dislike them and their music intensely.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have to say some of the comments about the Kaiser Chiefs and Kasabian seem a bit weird to me. Guys writing and playing their own instruments making good pop/rock music and being successful at it.

I have both albums by these guys and I'm not someone who usually enjoys chart music but the bands put a smile on my face and I rather wish the charts was more filled with bands like these than most of the pap in there.

I dislike modern day R'n'B and rap music, partly because I don't get it more than anything. I find some of the homophobic and sexist lyrics difficult to handle with my political nature and spreading that I find is just not nice. Not sure if it's snobbery though ?

I know the Kasabian 2nd album has been slagged off in many areas, not just on here by people,but for some reason I seem to be enjoying it more and more. Haven't got the Kaisers new one yet but it will be purchased once pay day comes around.

harv

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
Dunno I'm pretty stroppy about music, tend to be really rude about some peoples tastes can't help myself... I'm getting better but still find it hard to cope when I'm out and about and the music is plain cheesy chart :cs:makes me want to go home. I'm not saying all chart music is rubbish, just that I don't like it and it sometimes gets my goat :grrr:having said that some of my friends feel pretty much the same about my music...

zygote23

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 10, 2006
North Ireland, ,
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Doesn't bother me if you don't get what I like! I just don't want you to talk too much whilst I am listening to it
wink.png

I don't get most of the current batch of pop music and find that it seems to me very derivitive f too much thats gone before. I think Kaisers 'Ruby' sounds like Mew! I think The View 'Same Jeans' is a total rip off of Cornershop. It doesn't fill me with the rage though ......I just don't listen to them.

Chill!

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That Mika makes me feel like smashing up the telly or radio whenever he comes on.

I cannot stand that absolute drivel....so i suppose i'm elitist then?

thommo

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2005
Essex, , United King
Harv, purely as an example, I'll use your post to illustrate my point, and as a generic template to what exactly I just don't get. It'spurely rhetorical, mind you, and I don't have any particular issue with you. Hope you don't mind.

harv wrote:

Dunno I'm pretty stroppy about music, tend to be really rude about some peoples tastes
Why? Does it make you feel superior to essentially ridicule someone elses tase? What do you get out of it?

harv wrote:

when I'm out and about and the music is plain cheesy chart :cs:makes me want to go home.
Why does it matter that much?

harv wrote:

I'm not saying all chart music is rubbish, just that I don't like it and it sometimes gets my goat
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif
Why does it annoy you that much?

harv wrote:

having said that some of my friends feel pretty much the same about my music...
How do you feel when someone else ridicules your taste?

As I said Harv, I'm not picking on, or specifically disagreeing with, you. It's just your post perfectly encapsulates some of thethings that got my brain (such as it is) ticking.That's the sort of questions I find myself asking.

thommo

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2005
Essex, , United King
Papa Lazarou wrote:

That Mika makes me feel like smashing up the telly or radio whenever he comes on.I cannot stand that absolute drivel....so i suppose i'm elitist then?
Well, look at it this way: genuinely not liking it, even not standing it,is one thing, butgettingthat wound up by it, that's what I simply don't get. If you don't like it because it's liked elsewhere, then yes, that's elitist, but I'm not judging you, I'm asking if that's the case.

I have a problem with so-called"guilty pleasures" too. I'll use the term as shorthand, but in music I simply don't buy into the argument that there are "guilty pleasures". There are pleasures, and not. Things are "any good" and not.

"Cool" is one of the most insidiously perniciousconcepts of the last 10-15 years. Too many people are slaves to it, and I just don't get it.

harv

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
thommo wrote:

Harv, purely as an example, I'll use your post to illustrate my point, and as a generic template to what exactly I just don't get. It'spurely rhetorical, mind you, and I don't have any particular issue with you. Hope you don't mind.harv wrote:

Dunno I'm pretty stroppy about music, tend to be really rude about some peoples tastes
Why? Does it make you feel superior to essentially ridicule someone elses tase? What do you get out of it?

harv wrote:

when I'm out and about and the music is plain cheesy chart :cs:makes me want to go home.
Why does it matter that much?

harv wrote:

I'm not saying all chart music is rubbish, just that I don't like it and it sometimes gets my goat
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif
Why does it annoy you that much?

harv wrote:

having said that some of my friends feel pretty much the same about my music...
How do you feel when someone else ridicules your taste?

As I said Harv, I'm not picking on, or specifically disagreeing with, you. It's just your post perfectly encapsulates some of thethings that got my brain (such as it is) ticking.That's the sort of questions I find myself asking.
Me personally when someone tries to ridicule my taste, I tend to find it amusing, mainly because they have never heard (even of inmost cases) the music I listen to. I don't think it makes me superior or anything, I accept people like pants music
tongue.png
. I don't get anything out of taking mickey, between my friends its more of a running joke TBH. It annoys me because I find the music dull and lacking creativity, it get me:grrr:when people start telling me how amazing something is and they don't realise that thats its ripped off from someone years ago or copied, or more importantly in certain cases, glorified computer enchanced karoke ... I care about what I listen to... well because I like music. I mean I wouldn't eat something I didn't like just cos everyone else was...

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suppose the most obvious weird thing for me is Dido.

I like her :love:but also actually enjoy both albums and I really don't understand why so much wrath is aimed her way. Well written pop songs, and I say this as someone who listenes to industrial noise as well.

I would call it a guilty pleasure but I think you've just disproved that :lmao:

May beDido is like masturbation for me, you enjoy it while you're doing it,you always feel guilty and dirty afterwards but you know you're going to do it again given the chance - and you rarely admit to doing it
wink.png

thommo

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2005
Essex, , United King
harv wrote:

it get me:grrr:when people start telling me how amazing something is and they don't realise that thats its ripped off from someone years ago or copied, or more importantly in certain cases, glorified computer enchanced karoke ... I care about what I listen to... well because I like music.
Well, if they don't realise it's ripped off from someone years ago,then they are purely judging the music on what they know.Nothing wrong with that at all.

You telling them that that Oasis song is essentially a ripped off"Street Fighting Man", that The Doors originally did"Light My Fire" andWill Young was even covering a cover by Jose Feliciano,or whatever the thing happens tobe,might just let them know that there's more out there.

I like music as well, but don't get the arse with music I don't like, or people who disagree with me on taste.

Does that mean you like music more than I do? That would be a rather presumptuous standpoint, and the sort of elitism I was thinking about.

(Not saying that that's necessarily how you feel, of course, and if you do, then fair do's as well)

thommo

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2005
Essex, , United King
griffo104 wrote:

I suppose the most obvious weird thing for me is Dido.I like her :love:but also actually enjoy both albums and I really don't understand why so much wrath is aimed her way. Well written pop songs, and I say this as someone who listenes to industrial noise as well.

I would call it a guilty pleasure but I think you've just disproved that :lmao:

May beDido is like masturbation for me, you enjoy it while you're doing it,you always feel guilty and dirty afterwards but you know you're going to do it again given the chance - and you rarely admit to doing it
wink.png
Well, quite.

It's the cult of "cool" that makes it guilty and dirty, and it really shouldn't.

Dido, I mean, not wanking.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Personally, I derive a certain amount of, highly tongue in cheek, pleasure from coming up with invective to direct at various "artists", which is always based on my somewhat peculiarly idiosyncratic tastes.

It is apparent that much of what I like receives similar treatment from others & quite right too.

It is usually very entertaining to read music Ranting posts, regardless of subject.....

However, there are some musics which MUST be exterminated: James Cnut, Saline Dying......

Opinionated Boxer

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
boxer wrote:

Personally, I derive a certain amount of, highly tongue in cheek, pleasure from coming up with invective to direct at various "artists", which is always based on my somewhat peculiarly idiosyncratic tastes.It is apparent that much of what I like receives similar treatment from others & quite right too.

It is usually very entertaining to read music Ranting posts, regardless of subject.....

However, there are some musics which MUST be exterminated: James Cnut, Saline Dying......

Opinionated Boxer
What you need to do, is listen to "music" (in loose terms;))that hardly anybody knows let alonelistened to, create a dedicated topic andremain nice and safe and cosyknowing the only people who willpost will be fellow "music" lovers:p.

Eeks role on the Tidal wave.
shitsfan.gif.cd1d9f23de26db569aa7ef6be1db61f8.gif

E

earl of sodbury

boxer wrote:

Personally, I derive a certain amount of, highly tongue in cheek, pleasure from coming up with invective to direct at various "artists", which is always based on my somewhat peculiarly idiosyncratic tastes.It is apparent that much of what I like receives similar treatment from others & quite right too.

Opinionated Boxer
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif

I find I dislike the majority of so-called popular music, and this goes back so far into my childhood that snobbery or elitism doesn't seem an important part of it (though I could be kidding myself...). So much mainstream music seems to requirelittle effort to create - especially compositionally - and even less effort to consume: you only need listen to Radio 1 or any big-name commerical station to hear the same formulaic shite again and again, and it's not just down to artists flapping around in the diminishing pool of their chosen genres, but fuckwad DJs who are too lazy and egotisitical to risk anything that won't appeal to an already pretty numb mainstream audience.

Bring-on the risk-takers and innovators
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
:goodone:At the risk of making this into a Boxer/Sodders back-slappy luuuurve in...

But, yes, mucho mainstream commercial stuff has always left me perplexed as to why it's there. However, there are those who enjoy, so ultimately who am I to tell them not to, with some of the exceptions mentioned above, obviously:p

Boxer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx