Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ultimately it is down to implementation as usual. Older DACs or lesser designs may benefit from a reclocker upstream. The Audio Alchemy transport + DAC I owned back when DACs became a thing did improve in some aspects when partnered with the jitter filter of the same brand. But that was more than 25 years ago.

dCS is in the business of selling clocks so whatever they write I will take with a handful of salt.
You're wrong. Mutec are in the business of selling clocks. dCS isn't in the business of selling clocks, they're in the business of selling DACs, but they explain how clocks in the DAC itself and external clocks do different jobs.

My dCS is only 10 or so years old. I reclock the signal from my Node 2i into it, otherwise it "inherits" the timing which is combined with the music signal/data as I use coax out not USB. The latest Node (N130) may now have USB out in which case the timing is done by the DAC not the streamer. But you know all this so let's not take this thread off-topic.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You're wrong. Mutec are in the business of selling clocks. dCS isn't in the business of selling clocks, they're in the business of selling DACs, but they explain how clocks in the DAC itself and external clocks do different jobs.

My dCS is only 10 or so years old. I reclock the signal from my Node 2i into it, otherwise it "inherits" the timing which is combined with the music signal/data as I use coax out not USB. The latest Node (N130) may now have USB out in which case the timing is done by the DAC not the streamer. But you know all this so let's not take this thread off-topic.
We’ve discussed this before.
S/PDIF on older DACs may benefit from reclocking and maybe your Mutec is also noise-filtering the incoming signal and that could be producing an audible improvement.
Without bench testing we can only speculate.

How do you connect the Mutec to the dCS? is the latter slaved to the reclocker?

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We’ve discussed this before.
Indeed. Ad nauseum even!
S/PDIF on older DACs may benefit from reclocking and maybe your Mutec is also noise-filtering the incoming signal and that could be producing an audible improvement.
Please unpack this. Do you mean SPDIF? Or older DACs? Or only SPDIF on older DACs?
Without bench testing using our ears we can only speculate.
:)
Fixed that for you.
In internet-land, speculation is all most of us can do most of the time.
I thought I might risk vaguely reconnecting with the topic of critical listening.
How do you connect the Mutec to the dCS? is the latter slaved to the reclocker?
Zyxel switch (CAT6)> Node 2i (SPDIF)> Mutec MC-3+USB* (SPDIF) > dCS Puccini.

The Puccini U-Clock is master clock for both the Puccini DAC and the Mutec.

*this is the model name of my USB-capable Mutec. I'vve never even thought until now about using the USB out of the Mutec into the USB of my dCS Puccini U-Clock...

Reactions: Ceko

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could call it "being too much of an audiophile".
Sorry got to disagree. I often follow what an individual is doing in a piece and it’s nothing to do with HiFi. It’s about enjoying what they are playing, learning what they are playing, learning about what techniques are used in the recording.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Indeed. Ad nauseum even!

Please unpack this. Do you mean SPDIF? Or older DACs? Or only SPDIF on older DACs?

:)
Fixed that for you.
In internet-land, speculation is all most of us can do most of the time.
I thought I might risk vaguely reconnecting with the topic of critical listening.

Zyxel switch (CAT6)> Node 2i (SPDIF)> Mutec MC-3+USB* (SPDIF) > dCS Puccini.

The Puccini U-Clock is master clock for both the Puccini DAC and the Mutec.

*this is the model name of my USB-capable Mutec. I'vve never even thought until now about using the USB out of the Mutec into the USB of my dCS Puccini U-Clock...
Your D/A conversion system is peculiar. It falls in the category of old…or peculiar.
A DAC will perform better if it reclocks it’s input. Yours apparently doesn’t so you work around it.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
high-performance/accuracy; sometimes they are, often they’re not
Yes, we get to an age and an experience don't we. Truth is, I thought , it's been a very long time since I had listened to this brand, lets see if I have changed my mind. :rolleyes:.........................🤒 where's the aspirin..........................

• Haha
Reactions: tuga

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think that the term listening critically can be misleading. It seems to imply without enjoyment. I can critically listen to a piece or a performance within the piece and seriously enjoy it.

But the problem with being a musician is that most of the time I am actively engaged with a piece whether I like it or not unless I am reading or cooking but I would never call that critical listening.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could call it "being too much of an audiophile".

Sorry got to disagree. I often follow what an individual is doing in a piece and it’s nothing to do with HiFi. It’s about enjoying what they are playing, learning what they are playing, learning about what techniques are used in the recording.
You could call it tongue in cheek.

Reactions: DomT

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What do you call it when

the first time you listen you concentrate on what the guitar(s) are doing
the next time you listen you concentrate on the bass player
the next time you listen you concentrate on the keys (if any)
then you concentrate on the drummer
then you listen to the vocals

?
hard work.....🥴

Reactions: TheFlash

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Your D/A conversion system is peculiar. It falls in the category of old…or peculiar.
A DAC will perform better if it reclocks it’s input. Yours apparently doesn’t so you work around it.
Of course the Puccini reclocks. It neither old nor peculiar and is a very fine DAC indeed. You’ve always claimed that as a DAC does its own clocking, a reclocker before it can make no sonic difference. Or, to be specific, you claim that any difference can only because it is reducing noise. Many people have different experiences and many people would disagree with your assertions. I’m one of them.

Happy to leave it there.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We are generally surrounded by music 24/7 . I certainly am .. in my car , in Diane’s car , at work , shopping , Now most of this music is radio based and in environments not conducive to critical listening .. however it is still very much enjoyable ..
When I listen to my HiFi on the other hand ,I am generally listening to content I have chosen , most of it because I know it’s a quality recording for one reason or another ..surely that is “critical “ listening
However,, no matter how much I enjoy a singer or band , if the recording and SQ of the music on a particular album is crap I won’t play it .. Surely I am being “ critical “ with my listening..
It is often very disappointing when you play a new album by a band you like …

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.