random internet bod
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was at a show once, whereby one of the demonstration rooms were running 30 minute demo's, which isn't a bad idea in theory.
Trouble was, it was a very high end system, which was simply to much for these sensitive ears to listen to for 30 minutes.
Indeed, 3 minutes was enough.
What was funny though, when I got up to leave, there were several guys on the door who had locked it, and consequently I felt obliged to stay to the end.
Quite an intimidating experience really, but I guess people were enjoying themselves in the room🤔
Was that a recent show? In Northants perhaps? I thought that whole approach was absolutely appalling. I chatted to the guy outside while a steady trickle of people wanted to get into the room but were told they'd have to come back for the next slot which started in 25/20/15 minutes time. Everyone was polite but their facial expressions and body language reflected my own reaction which was to think... well something that almost rhymes with the last two syllables of Timbuktu.

TheFlash

random internet bod
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recall when I had the Amphion Argon 3s. I was washing up in the kitchen and kept stopping to go into the living room with dripping wet hands because of the bass they were producing. It was very surprising for their size.
I had to read this twice. I thought If he's doing something in the kitchen, why is he producing bass in the living room. I thought you meant sea bass.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had to read this twice. I thought If he's doing something in the kitchen, why is he producing bass in the living room. I thought you meant sea bass.
My hands could have been producing bass. :D

(I usually read posts more than once, it's my age.)

Reactions: TheFlash

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was that a recent show? In Northants perhaps?
No, quite some time ago at Bristol. It seems to be quite a common policy, to have regular allotted times nowadays. I can understand perhaps not getting in, but It was the not getting out that felt a little uncomfortable :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: TheFlash

Speedy

Wammer
Jun 23, 2022
Hertfordshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When evaluating gear i usually listen to individual instrument lines in the mix and then the leading egdes, sustain and decay of notes. From that I usually get a good idea of whats changed in the sound from 1 component to another and of course how that aligns with my preferences and whether I like a certain piece of gear and what it does or not. Couple examples of stuff I listen for:

How 'crisp' is the initial hit of a note - does it sound rounded off, blunted - is it maybe too sharp even making it metallic?
How natural does the decay sound? - too long, too short? does it happen too fast?

Of course everyone finds what works for them but after a bit of practice I find I noticed this stuff without trying really hard like I used to.

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
20 years ago I was into listening for differences in things like cables and isolation feet etc. I don't bother with that stuff anymore. I just listen for differences in the main components like DACs, amps and speakers. That's where you have more chance of reliably hearing differences.

Reactions: Ceko

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the music doesn’t make the hairs on your spine stand up , be it because of a great rift, melody, vocal, writing , base etc ..then it’s just “music”
Go with you “gut” feelings as to what does “it “ for you.. , you won’t be far wrong .