Linn Owners

I’m buying a Linn Selekt DSM and have a few questions

Storab

New Wammer
Oct 3, 2021
Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m new to Linn and don’t want to do the wrong choices…

the Organik DAC is just released and I consider just buying the standard DAC and wait for the Organik upgrade to become available. Will I hate the standard DAC? (I have only heard Katalyst, and my current DAC is a PS Audio DIrectstream)

How fast are Linn normally? Will there be a long wait before Organik becomes available for Selekt?

Is it possible to use the Selekt DSM just as a streamer with an external DAC?

HansBertil

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Sweden
AKA
Bertil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

the Organik DAC is just released and I consider just buying the standard DAC and wait for the Organik upgrade to become available. Will I hate the standard DAC? (I have only heard Katalyst, and my current DAC is a PS Audio DIrectstream)

How fast are Linn normally? Will there be a long wait before Organik becomes available for Selekt?

I don’t think you will hate the standard DAC, especially if it is the Katalyst one. It is a lovely piece of equipment. I think it will take some years for Organik to trickle down to Selekt and I hold my breath to see if it will be available in (my) Akurate DSM. 

Storab

New Wammer
Oct 3, 2021
Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t think you will hate the standard DAC, especially if it is the Katalyst one. It is a lovely piece of equipment. I think it will take some years for Organik to trickle down to Selekt and I hold my breath to see if it will be available in (my) Akurate DSM. 
The standard is not the Katalyst, the Katalyst is the 1500 USD upgrade I consider to drop. But if it takes years to get Organik Katalyst upgrade now seems unavoidable.

HansBertil

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Sweden
AKA
Bertil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The standard is not the Katalyst, the Katalyst is the 1500 USD upgrade I consider to drop. But if it takes years to get Organik Katalyst upgrade now seems unavoidable.
Ok, I misread your post. Yes, there are non-Katalyst and Katalyst DAC  available for the Selekt DSM at this moment. I’d say, give both a listen. I found the upgrade to Katalyst a big leap in performance. But maybe you can use your PS Audio DAC as well while waiting for the Organik to appear. There is fixed level SPDIF output available on the Selekt. And it seems that you have the possibility to control the volume on the PS Audio DAC. It might work.

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve been pondering the same thoughts but my wife explained. Get the best that’s available today. Who knows what happens tomorrow?

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/1 >> Majik 140’s (Silvers/K400)

Reactions: MickC

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've heard the Selekt demonstrated more than once with both standard and Katalyst DACs. They are both good, one is simply better. For $1500, go ahead and get Katalyst. You will be able to enjoy it for quite a while I think. If and when the time comes that you can upgrade to Organik, the Kayalyst DAC modules should have value as trade-in. I would discuss this with the dealer before purchasing the Selekt.

Reactions: Chris 1970

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Welcome to the Linn forum

The Katalyst DAC is exceptional and well worth the money and has been a major upgrade for every one that I know that has done the upgrade to Katalyst . The Organik DAC is better again, so builds on an already exceptional sound quality 

‘I have heard a number of demonstrations that directly compared the Selekt DSM with and without Katalyst, and the Katalyst upgrade is a significant improvement.

‘You could sell off the PSAudio DAC to help fund the Katalyst upgrade.

None of us know when the Organik upgrade will trickle down to Akurate or Selekt level components, but as mentioned, I would enjoy what is available now.

‘As Akamatsu says, see what your dealer would be willing to do for you, if the Organik upgrade is released early for the Selekt DSM. A good relationship with your Linn dealer often results in the dealer buying back your Katalyst upgrade towards the purchase of the Organik DAC.

Storab

New Wammer
Oct 3, 2021
Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you to all for good arguments :)
The PS Audio DAC is for sale and time will show what the replacement will be.

Linn has confirmed on FB that Organik will be available for Selekt in the future.

Reactions: akamatsu and silkie

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hope that happens for akurate as well. Unless Ofcourse akurate electronics are done with.

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/1 >> Majik 140’s (Silvers/K400)

FearOfMusic

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2018
Bristol, UK
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
  • Upvote
Reactions: Patu

Forum statistics