I dug out something very old from the loft.

• NEW! Linn Owners Club CLICK HERE and please click join club to have full access.

BillShatnersToupee

aka MajorFubar
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Lancashire, UK
AKA
Jon Vincent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a Dynatron HFC101 that my dad bought new in circa 1972. It originally came with Dynatron LS4038 speakers which sadly are no longer with me. These were speakers built around the Wharfedale Unit 5 kits, in Dynatron cabinets. The speakers were also available as the Wharfedale Dovedale 3, but in Wharfedale cabinets.

IMG_5552.JPG

After 20 years unused, it's remarkable that everything still seems to be fully functioning, other than the FM indicator, which had a habit of blowing its lamp every few hours even when the unit was new. I'm going to fit the GL75 with a suitable vintage cartridge, likely a Goldring G800, with an aftermarket elliptical stylus.

It would be nice to source some LS4038s or Wharfedale Dovedale 3's, but really I do not have the space.  

Last edited by a moderator:

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a Dynatron HFC101 that my dad bought new in circa 1972. It originally came with Dynatron LS4038 speakers which sadly are no longer with me. These were speakers built around the Wharfedale Unit 5 kits, in Dynatron cabinets. The speakers were also available as the Wharfedale Dovedale 3, but in Wharfedale cabinets.

IMG_5844.jpg

After 20 years unused, it's remarkable that everything still seems to be fully functioning, other than the FM indicator, which had a habit of blowing its lamp every few hours even when the unit was new. I'm going to fit the GL75 with a suitable vintage cartridge, likely a Goldring G800, with an aftermarket elliptical stylus.

It would be nice to source some LS4038s or Wharfedale Dovedale 3's, but really I do not have the space.  
I always felt the G800 was far too compliant for the GL75 . treat yourself to a nice Audio Technica perhaps :D  

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dad used to have it on a home made wooden stand, and my two year old self used to kneel in front of it with headphones on watching the record go round. I became hooked on music at this very point, before I could even wipe my own backside.
I used to do the same with our old radiogram. Fascinated by the records clicking down on top of each other and hearing a bass clonk as the the stylus hit the record.

Reactions: BillShatnersToupee

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I sometimes think there's a dimension to gear surrounding family, heritage, age, past, and appearance that is more rewarding to the soul than ultimate SQ and mere monetary worth and I'm guessing this is where you are with this lovely looking bit of kit. I love that dial !

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember these for sale in Maxwells record and musical instrument shop, next door to my school.  A real luxury item in its day. 

Lovely to see one again.  

• Upvote

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yawn stretch, was looking forward to something like this.....

E8E1BEE1-3FB9-4564-832F-54BD62EE7B7D.jpeg

Clubsport911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That’s a nice post and kudos to you for keeping it alive. I wished I had 1% of the Heathkit, home made amps, speakers  and turntables my (late) father collected and used. He was a pretty practical chappie and I’m sure none of it counts as modern HiFi, but we loved the gear all the same. 

Showcase for him, were the 12” Fane speakers to which he added all sorts of tweeters in a home made cabinet...

Returning to the original post, you’ve got something nice to treasure - hope you enjoy !

BillShatnersToupee

aka MajorFubar
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Lancashire, UK
AKA
Jon Vincent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I always felt the G800 was far too compliant for the GL75 . treat yourself to a nice Audio Technica perhaps :D  
Possibly but even Lenco themselves recommended the G800 in the L75's instruction manual. I don't fully know the history behind the tie-up with Goldring; I would be interested to hear it if anyone does know it. But in this country there seems to be more GL75's (Golding-Lenco) models, invariably sold with G800's, than L75's.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Possibly but even Lenco themselves recommended the G800 in the L75's instruction manual. I don't fully know the history behind the tie-up with Goldring; I would be interested to hear it if anyone does know it. But in this country there seems to be more GL75's (Golding-Lenco) models, invariably sold with G800's, than L75's.
Sorry it was the G800E and Super E i was thinking of .. the G800 was just a cheapy with a conical stylus and a tracking weight up to 3.5 grams so was not too compliant in any way. 

If you think about it a manufacturer who makes cartridges as well as turntables is not likely to recommend another make methinks.

If you want to be kind to your records and your ears my recommendation would be to get a better cartridge than a G800. 

BillShatnersToupee

aka MajorFubar
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Lancashire, UK
AKA
Jon Vincent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember these for sale in Maxwells record and musical instrument shop, next door to my school.  A real luxury item in its day. 

Lovely to see one again.  
Yeah they weren't cheap that's for sure. According to a C.C Goodwin's advert in the April '73 edition of Gramophone magazine, a HFC101 was £178.00 without speakers. I don't have a price for the Dynatron LS4038 speakers, but the same speakers sold as Wharfedale Dovedale 3's were £95 a pair, so I expect their Dynatron versions (same drivers and x-over, different cabinet) were at least the same or more. So that's £273 all in. According to www.thisismoney.co.uk that would be £3,246.48 now.

BillShatnersToupee

aka MajorFubar
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Lancashire, UK
AKA
Jon Vincent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you think about it a manufacturer who makes cartridges as well as turntables is not likely to recommend another make methinks.
Lenco didn't make the cartridge, Lenco was a Swiss company which made the turntable, and Goldring was/is an English company (founded in Germany) which made the cartridge. I don't fully know the history behind the tie-up between the two companies when it came to the GL75, though I would like to.

I have a G800 body (the turnable's original) and I've ordered an aftermarket elliptical stylus for it. Be interesting to see how it performs.

It's scary how cheap hifi has got these days, like you say the G800 was considered a budget MM cartridge even when new, but its 1974 retail price of £12.21 would translate to £145 now. The G800E would be £210.13 and the G800 Super E would be £276.49. Scary stuff. 

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lenco didn't make the cartridge, Lenco was a Swiss company which made the turntable and and Goldring was an English company
Aye sorry I should have elucidated more namely, I thought Goldring was the company importing the Lenco turntables.  Also in many cases it had their name preceding Lenco.   So one would envisage them pushing their own cartridges to go in it.  Not that it matters a jot - but the TT definitely deserves better than a G800

jamesp

Wammer
Jan 3, 2020
Just resurrecting this post because I've just started using my HFC 101 again and came across this thread in a search.

Mine came fitted with a Shure M55E when (which I think it had from new) which has a higher output than the G800. There's a slight hum on the output so I'll probably need to take a look at the power supply. I still have the LS4038 speakers which have a very warm sound but not particularly accurate. I always thought that they looked like they used Wharfedale drivers but hadn't realised that they were the same as the Unit 5 kits.

The only thing I can't remember is the difference between the Tape 1 and Tape 2 sockets and I can't find the manual at the moment (neither in real life nor online) so I don't know if anyone knows what the difference is?

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One of the many horrors I think might still be up in my parents loft ... I seem to recall the speakers were dual concentric and the tape deck record button kept breaking ...

20200104_095309.jpg

sounddeck.jpg

PS not my horrendous wallpaper ... but it gives you an idea of the vintage!

Reactions: AntA