I think I may be turning into a believer...

Membership Upgrades

Chivas

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
Knebworth, Herts
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I guess you know that Alan Shaw makes his Harbeths with the thinner varieties of that very wire.
No I did not. That is slightly concerning given my recent experience. I can now think of at least one way to improve these speakers If I was not worried about warranties and resale value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That doesn’t make sense to me. VD 6mm is not thin by any reckoning. 
I did try some exposure and talk 3 cable(in the stash) before the nva. Neither sounded different to the v.d., which I used because it was pretty. lol

I still have a hard time believing the improvement, it goes against my modest understanding of electronics.

But hey, who cares, I'm happy with it.

• Upvote
Reactions: Nativebon

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No I did not. That is slightly concerning given my recent experience. I can now think of at least one way to improve these speakers If I was not worried about warranties and resale value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is what he wrote in his HUG forum in this thread... https://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/forum/the-basic-facts-about-harbeth-owning-use/69692-new-here-new-owner-of-40-2-and-but-have-old-questions/page2 in June 2017:-

In the std. speakers we use twin core 2 x 0.75mm and in the Anniversary models 2 x 1.5mm. Remembering that the lengths inside the speaker cabinet are short, and also that there is about 0.5R of resistance in the crossover coils feeding the woofer, and in addition the woofer has a DC resistance of about 5R, I'd have thought that for a typical domestic run from amp to speaker of, say, 4m you certainly could use their 2.5mm version.

It's important not to get too precious about cable resistance. Certainly, hosepipe cables cannot be justified technically.”

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did try some exposure and talk 3 cable(in the stash) before the nva. Neither sounded different to the v.d., which I used because it was pretty. lol

I still have a hard time believing the improvement, it goes against my modest understanding of electronics.

But hey, who cares, I'm happy with it.
Absolutely!  If it works for you that’s great.  At least you’re not saying everyone must use it, which is where these discussions tend to degenerate.  NVA seems like a no nonsense design too, and interestingly based on listening more than anything else. 

T

The Chronicals

The Van Damme Hifi Cable isnt at all bad...nothing can better it on the budget end of the scale, but I urge you try something like Chord Epic Twin or Townshend Isolda which is MUCH better than the VD, not as 'scrappy' or 'crashy', much smoother. and controlled..but obviously much more wallet breaking...still used sets come up pretty cheap on ebay now and again.

It looks like those Audionote cables are star quad, bit of a different design than the VD. 

Last edited: