I wish I had this bloke's hi-fi budget...

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What's with the ad hominem?

Do you have anything to say about the points I actually made in my previous post, such as using distance to isolate turntables, and twin 10" woofers in a bass reflex not being the last word in bass quality?

I exhibited 3 times at Scalford. The only reason I've not exhibited in the most recent years is because I can't justify the cost of staying overnight in the hotel.

I have been reasonably active in the UK bake-off scene over various forums over the years.

I have no problem in pitting certain components or whole systems against others. Sometimes I lose bake-offs. Sometimes I've won. It all depends what I've brought and what I've been up against.

I have also visited Terry's home - the guy doing the interviewing in that video - with a couple of hi-fi components. And spent a very pleasant couple of hours listening to his system, including a convincing demo of his DSP in his room and system.

My current long term plans are to knock up some DIY speakers for about £1500 in component costs - and assuming they turn out OK to get them out on the road to various bake-offs and events such as Owston. My DIY'd speakers will have - in my opinion - the ingredients for being better sounding than those TAD's. Bigger bass cone area. No reflex port. Higher efficiency. Whether the ingredients come together OK or not remains to be heard...
Calling a person who seems like a nice person who has put himself out there in interest of the hobby as a 'comedian' then wingeing about 'ad hominem' when you get pulled up on is rather childish.

You basically abused him and criticised his setup from start to finish, and you wonder why you get directed responses...

The fact that you quote 'lose and win' shows a very different intent that many hobbyists have, so maybe thats where your critique comes from, I don't know.

• Upvote
Reactions: Warszawa

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
At the end of the day, I say good luck to all enthusiasts. I like it when people share their experiences, but I do struggle with the idea that you would need to make a video to do that - such humility :rofl:  

@lindsayt makes a valid point about the guy claiming that isolation is the most important thing (even for his preamp) and then having his turntable sat next to 3 very large subwoofers. Maybe he suspends his turntable from a null point in the ceiling when it's in use.

Terrible choice in music  :dunno: . Tedious plinky-plonk. Maybe he's an LP12 dealer??

I’m sure we could justify one of the larger rooms at the Wam show if he wanted to exhibit?
Is the guy a regular Wammer? I take it regulars here get first shout at larger rooms?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In case anyone has forgotten...

1: It's only a hifi.

2: Please lay off the personal comments. And that applies to those against the guy who's system is being discussed, and those against each other. I'm not going to make any comment about 'if you cannot take it, then do not hand it out', because neither are acceptable.

A.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2014
Hertfordshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The bloke in that video is a comedian.

Talks about the importance of vibration and has his non-suspended turntable on a floor mounted stand next to his stack of bass bins / sub woofers.

How about getting his TT as far away from all speakers as possible?

And what's with the sub woofers behind him? Integration?

And he says that sub-woofers are the best value for money upgrade you can have? Surely that depends on what speakers you've got already? Some of us like buying / making speakers with proper sized woofers already built in.

He also talks nonsense about the CD player being the most important item. Digital sources sound so similar - in my experience - that it's not worth agonising over which one to buy. Not when compared to speakers or analogue sources.

His speakers have 2 x 10" woofers in a bass reflex. They're not going to be the last word in bass quality.

His room is too empty and echoey. The echoes are quite apparent at the 13 minute mark in the video.

There is a lot of scope for getting a better sounding system than his whilst spending about 2% of what he's spent.
This is the recurring issue. It’s great he’s put himself out there and shown us his system but the problem yet again is that new entrants to the audiophile world get the impression that one needs to buy lots of expensive boxes and this is where the hobby starts and finishes. Go to any respected recording studio and serious music venue/concert hall and it always starts with room acoustics and high quality passive treatment and if this not possible the next step is active room compensation technology in less than exhaulted environments such as one’s living room. As fancy as his system is, it would sound orders better, with some simple room treatment - rugs, cushions, books, acoustic panels disguised as art, ceiling treatment etc… for a fraction of the cost of one of those boxes. THIS is where the video should start IMHO. 

• Upvote
Reactions: lindsayt and rdale

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry if this is the wrong place but I have to ask what is the point of a CD player having FIVE!!!!  boxes. 

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I presume the disc player is SACD too because that's a huge investment on humble CD replay. I wonder if he's looked at hi-res streaming as a source. 

His room might be 'treated' already. The walls may have insulation or something, we don't know from that video.

Last edited by a moderator:

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why 2x3 subwoofer ???  

One could properly play 120 db from 25 to 120 hz you would just need 2 to make bass frequencys not cancel each other but compliment each other to get the frequency responce right at all seats

A pair of Dynaudio Confidence 60 + 200 watt rms from  a gamut amp, jeff rowland, moon or what ever sonically match the dynaudios for 110 db of loud and clean music, i might not even use a subwoofer, would be more than enough for me

He talks about taking the load (bass) from the tad speakers when using a subwoofer but never mentions a high pass filter and what he uses for that !

Even top of the line 2000-3000 euro each (depending on how much bass you like) geneles with built in dsp would be more than enough for most people , i might even be happy with something like a pair of active Dynaudio Lyd 7  or Lyd-48 (if i had the space) for less than 2000 euros for a pair or around 2100 euros for a pair of lyd-48 io think i could be very happy owning

• Upvote
Reactions: lindsayt

wino2020

Have to try this!
Wammer
Jan 18, 2014
Dundee
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is the guy a regular Wammer? I take it regulars here get first shout at larger rooms?
Wee bit tongue in cheek mate!

I think it would be fascinating to hear such an expensive system against a lot of alternatives 

I can’t see all that kit going into one of the smaller rooms😂😂😂

Not going to happen anyway!

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Wee bit tongue in cheek mate!

I think it would be fascinating to hear such an expensive system against a lot of alternatives 

I can’t see all that kit going into one of the smaller rooms😂😂😂

Not going to happen anyway!
I know a few people with tiny rooms and huge systems. And, I call them...people who have got their priorities right 🤣

For me, the joy of the WAM show is hearing systems that I wouldn't find at a trade show. YMMV.

• Upvote
Reactions: lindsayt

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry if this is the wrong place but I have to ask what is the point of a CD player having FIVE!!!!  boxes. 

Looks like 2 mono dac's and 2 power supplys + the transporter

why he doesn't have 1 power supply for each dac and the transporter i don't know

Blzebub

Thundering bigot
Wammer
Dec 22, 2015
Stamford, Lincs
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would spend a lot more on the vinyl side, and maybe get a dCS top of the line digital solution if I had that budget.

I agree with him that it's easy to fool yourself about new components (mostly cables IME).

I don't think subwoofers are necessary. Larger bass drivers in the actual speakers is probably preferable to two smaller ones. Two 15" bass drivers have a larger surface area than four 10" drivers. I'm amazed he's got a passive setup at this level of spend.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why 2x3 subwoofer ???  

One could properly play 120 db from 25 to 120 hz you would just need 2 to make bass frequencys not cancel each other but compliment each other to get the frequency responce right at all seats

A pair of Dynaudio Confidence 60 + 200 watt rms from  a gamut amp, jeff rowland, moon or what ever sonically match the dynaudios for 110 db of loud and clean music, i might not even use a subwoofer, would be more than enough for me

He talks about taking the load (bass) from the tad speakers when using a subwoofer but never mentions a high pass filter and what he uses for that !

Even top of the line 2000-3000 euro each (depending on how much bass you like) geneles with built in dsp would be more than enough for most people , i might even be happy with something like a pair of active Dynaudio Lyd 7  or Lyd-48 (if i had the space) for less than 2000 euros for a pair or around 2100 euros for a pair of lyd-48 io think i could be very happy owning
That system is possibly the most expensive Terry has seen/heard. There are many ways to cook an egg and most here wouldn't need to spend anywhere near that to beat it.

Reactions: ANADROL-50

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s always nice to hear other folks ideas on how to reproduce music in the home. Obviously way out of my price league, but if I could afford it would it work for me? No idea, I haven’t heard it; doubtless like the people slagging him off!

The one thing that would have to change for me would be that carpet. I assume he hasn’t a cat coming in and disembowelling and eating his latest mouse on the carpet. Yep, a red carpet would be much better!

Reactions: justinhd

SCIDB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
, ,

Hi,

The Five box CD player bits are:

Grandioso Super Audio Transport & Power Supply P1X (2 boxes) £45,00

Grandioso G1 Clock generator G1X(1  box) £23,000

Grandioso 2 X Mono block Dacs D1X (2 boxes) £45,000

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CnoEvil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66