Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are they made in China then? UK support will add to costs, and it's nice to know you have a usable guarantee.

Valley Dweller

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 20, 2013
West Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought their stuff was made in Leicester? Am I mistaken? Heard one of their amps a few months ago, thought it was great (a £2.6k one mind. Subsequently bought some valves from them, great service.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Made in China, though AFAIK they wind their own transformers there. They say 'final assembly in Leicester', though how much that involves is unkown. Of course, Icon are hardly unique in that, and there are a great many major brands doing something similar.

I can't comment on the amp, as I've never heard one. It's a push-pull EL34 design with what I would guess is a fairly conventional circuit so it's likely to have a similarly conventional sound. Not the ultimate in valve amplifiers, but at the price it looks like a good entry into the world of glowing glass. The backup of a UK company is a big plus point with the world in its current state, and Icon's reputation seems decent as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Similar to Primaluna and I don't hear many complaints about them.
Actually, fundamentally somewhat different. For a start, all (I believe it's all) the Primaluna range have fully adaptive automatic biasing for output valves. If not unique, this is certainly highly unusual and a serious benefit for those who don't like playing with electronics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online