Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Couldn't bring myself to watch it, so please can anybody list his choices?

Tackleberry's observation about his speakers is interesting, as is his choice in the first place. Presumably rumble isn't a significant intrusion in his setup...

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He missed out the Thorens TD150 which preceded the 160 by a good few years and was where Thorens first used the AR type suspension. Perfomance wise I doubt anyone could tell the difference between the two in a blind test (the sub chassis and platter are identical with the exception of a ball bearing versus a single point bearing.

Of course prior to that was the TD123 aaand 124 which are superb turntables (with a brilliant sound)
He says about the P3 in 1977 .. the Rega appeared as the Planet in about 1972 and the only change was to add a glass plinth instead of the tripod arrangement (hence planet). When I bought my first speakers the dealers dem room was equipped with the TD150 and Rega Planet for dems (as these were the two main turntables they sold at that time). As to the P3, in a blind test I doubt anyone could tell the difference between it and the previous planar 2 and 3. What amazed me when I sold them was the Planar 2 had a lovely hardwood edge to the top plate and cost less than the 3 which was the same but no hardwood edge but some type of formica covering to the bass plate.

The Linn LP12 commentary was a bit wayward - it did not appear until 1973. The Ariston RD11 designed by Hamish Robertson (well he took a Thorens TD150 and reengineered it with better bearing and sub chassis and a machined heavier platter) came out in 1972, Of course the Linn was identical (the first Sondeks even had the two switch arrangement (one for on one for off and did not have a fluted plinth). However, what Linn should be famous for is not the turntable (which they had nowt to do with the design) but the fact that it was they who pointed out Turntables sound different and was an important if not the most important part of the hifi chain (rubbish in rubbish out theory) .. of course that got a bit overblown as the law of diminishing returns applies and also the fact that if the amp and speakers were not great then a good source versus a great source did not yield as massive an improvement as they would have had you believe. A Rega or Thorens with a great arm and cartridge would sound better than the Linn with the original basic arm and cheaper cartridge.

I think it was sad he did not include the Gale Turntable which in turn led to the design of the Oracle ..

Last but not least from that era was the wonderful Tecnhics SP10 which in the right plinth was a magnificent sounding source.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Meh.

No ADC Accutrac 4000 (programmable track selection), no Nakamichi (correction of off-centre records), no Beogram 4000 and three bouncy belt drives that are all pretty similar.

I am underwhelmed.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Meh.

No ADC Accutrac 4000 (programmable track selection), no Nakamichi (correction of off-centre records), no Beogram 4000 and three bouncy belt drives that are all pretty similar.

I am underwhelmed.
Not only that .. no mention of the Pink Triangle that changed the bouncy suspension from compressed springs (which introduce all sorts of wobbles and to test the theory take a spring and compress it between thumb and forefinger and you well feel it try to move and squirm out of your fingers) to suspended springs which have a uniform bounce.

I too am underwhelmed .. although I do prefert the suspended subchassis turntables to those without with the possible exception of the SP10 in the Obsidian Plinth

Reactions: Beobloke

WolvesWill

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2010
Wolverhampton
AKA
William Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Project Debut worth including, yes its not the best turntable in the world but for so many people starting out since the vinyl revival, it seems to be many peoples first 'proper' turntable?

And for many people my age (mid 30s), all the turntable a lot will ever want or need?

Reactions: tackleberry

Monitor Gold Ten

Basking in the warm glow of Electron Tubes.
Wammer
Aug 6, 2012
Catfield
AKA
Stu
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Project Debut worth including, yes its not the best turntable in the world but for so many people starting out since the vinyl revival, it seems to be many peoples first 'proper' turntable?

And for many people my age (mid 30s), all the turntable a lot will ever want or need?
Yep. Then one finds one's self attending Bake Offs and enjoying the hospitality; acceptance and kinship.

And the journey starts.

I thoroughly enjoyed my Pro Ject Debut TT and passed it on to friends. I hope they still enjoy it!

🙌😎

Listening to music through my Specially Commissioned Thorens TD 150- made possible by membership here... 😎 😎 😎

• Love
Reactions: MVJ

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Roksan or Luxman turntables never got a mention both very iconic and well regarded. Or Systemdek 2x900 which was probably the best low end turntable one could buy allowing your own arm choice and a simple upgrade path by way of off-board psu and better platter, many a 80's/90's hifi buffs first proper turntable.

mayebaza

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2014
West Midlands
AKA
Barrington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Watching this video satisfied my dark list for watching a car crash 😏

I particularly loved how the shape of the covering raised my expectations to something better.

Last edited:

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Before I paid a dizzying amount of money for my LP-12, I auditioned a Planar 10; both at the same dealer and thru the same system.
I realize all the variables involved but I felt the level of refinement from the LP-12 was something the Rega couldn't even approach.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online