If you were held against a wall....

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
.... and they said name your favourite musical genre, what would that be?

As I have two (much) older siblings, I grew up in the 1960s listening to their music on our radiogram - this was long before we had TV. So my influence can be traced back to the first singles I heard in the mid-1960s, such as The Hollies, Small Faces, The Beatles, The Who, Otis Redding, Sam Cook, Stevie Wonder....

If I had to nail my colours to the sticking place, it would have to be classic and neo Soul.

What's your choice and why?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Impossible to answer. It would too difficult. It would be like being asked where is your favourite place to go on holiday. There are too many nice places to go. 

But if pushed id put it on the sounds of the 90s as this influenced me most. Electronica mainly and music that is hard to catergorise. If it’s good there ain’t any need to catergorise.

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At one time it would have been prog as I grew up through the 60’s and early 70’s thoroughly a prog fan, but as I have grown older I have become increasingly moved by classical music. I blame Emerson, Lake and Palmer for introducing me to Aaron Copland - and it went from there.

So now my answer would be classical (including opera, but excluding religious music - masses etc).

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Impossible to answer. It would too difficult. It would be like being asked where is your favourite place to go on holiday. There are too many nice places to go. 

But if pushed id put it on the sounds of the 90s as this influenced me most. Electronica mainly and music that is hard to catergorise. If it’s good there ain’t any need to catergorise.
Of course it's difficult. My collection covers most genres, including heavy metal, classical, grunge, pop... but I suppose my 'go to' genre would have to be Soul if pushed hard. 

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Prog.

Always has been, and always will be. New Prog, such as Dream Theater, Steven Wilson, Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy, Opeth, Haken, Big Big Train, and many other artists I discover on an almost weekly basis keep my interest.

• Upvote
Reactions: rabski

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If threatened at gunpoint, I'd probably have to say prog, because I really started to get into music properly in the 70s and that genre has a lot of very happy memories. However, it's as bad as the 'desert island discs' game, in that it changes from day to day and depending on what you're doing and where you are. In the car these days I prefer jazz. Miles Davis usually prevents me from driving like an utter lunatic and stops me from wanting to kill most other people on the roads.

Classical at home late at night. I can't listen to classical in the car, because to do it justice, it needs near zero background noise. Sometimes, a little sweet soul when I need cheering up or something is going to hell in a handcart. Occasionally some insane early punk stuff, and at other times some electronic stuff: but that means everything from vangelis to Kraftwerk.

It's an unaswerable question really.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blacksabbath25

blacksabbath25
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
ely cambridgeshire
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Easy for me it would be classic rock like led zeppelin  and heavy metal but main love has always been Ozzy and sabbath so my favourite years are going to be 1970 - 1990 then it all went to shit after those years  .

As I still listen to the remaining bands that are left what I call old school from those years I like but anything modern from current music of today chart wise if you can call it that is crap I just can’t stand today’s music but that’s just me turning into an old fart   :)

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If threatened at gunpoint, I'd probably have to say prog, because I really started to get into music properly in the 70s and that genre has a lot of very happy memories. However, it's as bad as the 'desert island discs' game, in that it changes from day to day and depending on what you're doing and where you are. In the car these days I prefer jazz. Miles Davis usually prevents me from driving like an utter lunatic and stops me from wanting to kill most other people on the roads.

Classical at home late at night. I can't listen to classical in the car, because to do it justice, it needs near zero background noise. Sometimes, a little sweet soul when I need cheering up or something is going to hell in a handcart. Occasionally some insane early punk stuff, and at other times some electronic stuff: but that means everything from vangelis to Kraftwerk.

It's an unaswerable question really.
Very (very) similar to me. My musical taste was forged in the 70s.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Prog.

Always has been, and always will be. New Prog, such as Dream Theater, Steven Wilson, Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy, Opeth, Haken, Big Big Train, and many other artists I discover on an almost weekly basis keep my interest.
I don't 'get' the whole Prog rock thing. Never really gravitated to it per se. Of course there are few exceptions: Bowie, early Roxy, Fripp and Eno... in the main, I didn't really understand the following of "Art" or Prog.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Easy for me it would be classic rock like led zeppelin  and heavy metal but main love has always been Ozzy and sabbath so my favourite years are going to be 1970 - 1990 then it all went to shit after those years  .

As I still listen to the remaining bands that are left what I call old school from those years I like but anything modern from current music of today chart wise if you can call it that is crap I just can’t stand today’s music but that’s just me turning into an old fart   :)
Just by your username it's clear which way your flag is waving.  :)

• Upvote
Reactions: Blacksabbath25

Blacksabbath25

blacksabbath25
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
ely cambridgeshire
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just by your username it's clear which way your flag is waving.  :)
I tell you what ! I did that the same thing when I was a kid listened to my dads radiogram I think that’s what you call them basically a long bit of furniture has a record player in the middle of it but you had to left the lid and at the front to see the record player it also had the radio at the front that light up and it had record storage as well .

Fond memories and that’s how I basically got into music because of that radiogram 

Reactions: plasticpenguin

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I don't 'get' the whole Prog rock thing. Never really gravitated to it per se. Of course there are few exceptions: Bowie, early Roxy, Fripp and Eno... in the main, I didn't really understand the following of "Art" or Prog.
Since Prog. started, it incorporated the groups I followed, such as Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, ELP, etc. All had very competent musicians and writers. It is not the only genre I like, but as I was against the wall, I had to pick one.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tell you what ! I did that the same thing when I was a kid listened to my dads radiogram I think that’s what you call them basically a long bit of furniture has a record player in the middle of it but you had to left the lid and at the front to see the record player it also had the radio at the front that light up and it had record storage as well .

Fond memories and that’s how I basically got into music because of that radiogram 
Yup, they made a mono and stereo radiograms. We had the mono version.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I think it’s better getting to know music you might not have heard or styles and sub genres you might not know, new or old, rather than about stuff or genres you do know.

Music is only ever one album away from a sub genre or genre you’ve never heard before. That’s more interesting to me. Classing music is limiting it as most good original music can’t easily be classed. Is Nils Frahm neo clasical or electronic. My Dad loves him for the classical - I see classical and electronic, but tbh I don’t care what genre it is. 

I think it would be great for people to post favourite albums as mini reviews. I didn’t know of Nick Drake until I visited this forum and the album ‘five leaves left’ from the 70s is absolutely tremendous (bazzer recommended I think) . We can all learn from each other on music as hifi fans. I think we should do it more. 

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Since Prog. started, it incorporated the groups I followed, such as Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, ELP, etc. All had very competent musicians and writers. It is not the only genre I like, but as I was against the wall, I had to pick one.
Good stuff (Prog aside)  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles