• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

If you were starting now...

andrew s

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 10, 2014
Cheshire
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
...would you go for an active speakers with built in network connections or still go the box by box route? 

I think I would go the active route with active Kef LS 50 or Meta through to Dutch & Dutch 8c or similar depending on budget along with Roon or other suitable software.

It's a difficult step from where I am but if I had a clean sheet of paper and no lp history that would be it.

What would you do and why?

Regards Andrew 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Von Krolock

MVJ

60s Music Fan
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
Guiseley, Leeds,
AKA
Steve,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The flaw with your question is if your starting your hifi journey back at the beginning you still have no idea what you actually want so no benifit of what you actually know now.🤔

If I was starting again I would have what I have right now.👍

andrew s

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 10, 2014
Cheshire
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The flaw with your question is if your starting your hifi journey back at the beginning you still have no idea what you actually want so no benifit of what you actually know now.🤔

If I was starting again I would have what I have right now.👍
Then you would not be starting again just reliving your past!

To clarify, if you were new to the game and researched the field what would you conclude ? I would see streaming as the way forward, active speakers as best in class compared to passive etc. No reason to go for separate boxes. What is available now in active speakers was not available when I made my current choices.

It's intended as a fun topic not a class in logic 😊

Regards Andrew 

Reactions: hiesteem

MVJ

60s Music Fan
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
Guiseley, Leeds,
AKA
Steve,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I see it's for fun I'm just pointing out you would be a complete hifi virgin with no idea what you want so how would you know streaming & active speakers are best??

Reactions: hiesteem

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
...would you go for an active speakers with built in network connections or still go the box by box route? 

I think I would go the active route with active Kef LS 50 or Meta through to Dutch & Dutch 8c or similar depending on budget along with Roon or other suitable software.

It's a difficult step from where I am but if I had a clean sheet of paper and no lp history that would be it.

What would you do and why?

Regards Andrew 
I find the idea of all-in-one speakers (B&O, D&D, Genelec, Grimm, Kii) very attractive, so much so that a pair may end up replacing my system, mostly because we still haven't decided whether to settle here or return to Portugal.

But I would still rather use multiple boxes for the following reasons:

- upgradablity

- obsolescence

- long-term support/repairability

- performance (?)

Tintinabulum

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2014
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow, how can this conversation go on without the mention of the people who invented it, Meridian? Especially as second hand fantastic bargains can be had. DSP5000s £600 all in. HiFi's best kept secret. Plug in SPDIF and you're away...

MVJ

60s Music Fan
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
Guiseley, Leeds,
AKA
Steve,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But in the mid sixties it was very different there was'nt that much information around it was suck it and see mainly🤔

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow, how can this conversation go on without the mention of the people who invented it, Meridian? Especially as second hand fantastic bargains can be had. DSP5000s £600 all in. HiFi's best kept secret. Plug in SPDIF and you're away...
Meridian invented MQA, they are banned from my home.

(which is shame because the DSP8000s are really good speakers)

• Sad
Reactions: tkimages

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
B&O Beosystem 5000. No faff, just style and sound in one package.

I don’t know why I bother with other stuff given that I have one, to be honest.

• Upvote
Reactions: huwge and andrew s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mx2one