• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Impulse H2 Speaker Grilles

One Drop

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2012
Peak District
AKA
Tom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I removed the rather large grille from one of my Impulse H2s and found that I couldn't get it back on again... This is not good - visually they're just about acceptable with the grilles in place, but frankly ugly without them.

The grille was attached with 4 small plastic 'bolts' (?) with spherical endings that fit into corresponding holes in the front of the speaker. Two of these little 'ball-things' are firmly embedded in the front of the speaker. I have been unable to retrieve them with tweezers that were probably a little too big for the task. The other two were still attached to the grille but have since fallen off... they came loose as I tried to reattach the grilles. :doh:

I'm reluctant to botch the job with hammer / nails etc as the speakers are in great condition. Can anyone familiar with the H2s suggest a way to fix them properly? Or recommend anyone who could? I'm tempted to have a 'professional' give them a once over anyway and potentially upgrade the x-over, which I understand is a bit ropey in some cases...

Grateful for any advice!

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mine are all intact, though I do have to faf about lining them up sometimes. I use mine without grilles because they sound better.

So there, don't use the grilles. Problem solved.

I'm good at this stuff today.

One Drop

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2012
Peak District
AKA
Tom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Err, about those fully intact working grilles you're not using... they're pretty big... don't suppose you need somewhere to store them safely? (like on the front of my speakers :D )..

tbh, I've not noticed much of a difference in the sound with them on/off.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are the balls still stuck in the speaker fronts? If so, screw a small woodscrew into them (you may need to heat the screw to melt it's way in, allow to cool, and pull out). The part on the grill will need to be glued in, as the ribs will no longer grip in the holes. It may be worth replacing the speaker parts too, at the same time, to make sure they all match up. There are different size fittings available on eBay, I use the short chunky version.

One Drop

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2012
Peak District
AKA
Tom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks awkward - two of the balls are still stuck in the front of the speakers... I've got the parts on order and if I can't get the balls out with a woodscrew I will try to replace the parts holding the balls.

What would be the best way to get these speaker parts out?? They seem pretty well fixed into the speakers.

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
The grille is large and heavy so places considerable wight on the the plastic pegs, and with time they can break.

The type linked by Start look right.

The type of fixing usually just presses in a snug hole with some glue.

Little option other than some brute force to pull them out.

Re the crossovers, they aren't ropey IMO and are well over specified for the job.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like this type.

Ltrimclip_web.jpg

killie99

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 12, 2011
Kilmarnock
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmmm, H2 crossovers ... I'd have a look at them as there appear to be several versions. Mine were mounted in behind the bass driver - only way to get to them was to remove the bass driver. They were very shoddily made (the parts were actually fairly good, Solen caps but no idea who made the coils) with one of the coils held on with blue-tac which had eventually failed so it was dangling in thin air. The board the parts were mounted on was a roughly cut (and I mean rough!) bit of plastic with black electricians tape holding down the wires. I remade the crossovers with the parts mounted on some FR4 material and mounted it at the binding post cut out panel. I now have Ta'us and I completely rebuilt the crossovers with air core coils and some fancy caps, I think it was worth it. There aren't a lot of components involved 4 coils, 2 caps and 2 resistors with the potential to add an extra cap to the bass driver if you wish.

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
That's interesting. My pair had the crossover hard wired to the rear terminal board with the parts hot glued.

There were several 'builds' of the H2, including some with fixed top grilles and some removable.

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
To be fair, those look like someones been 'at them'.

Certainly Impulse H2s didn't use Nordost cable!

Mine were done in the usual way - 6 way tri-wire binding posts fitted to a large MDF terminal block, with the crossover parts soldered directly on the back. Wiring looked like standard thick multistrand.

Have a word with Martin over at http://www.acoustica.org.uk.

My H2s are long gone but Martin still runs a pair and could probably take a look at that crossover. Not wishing to alarm, but it might not even be standard.

killie99

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 12, 2011
Kilmarnock
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These were built like this in the factory, the other crossover had an 'Impulse' sticker on it and was built just as poorly. I think they are very early H2's, certainly other H2's I've seen were rather earier to take apart. The 3 main differences with the one's I had and other I've seen are the way the cabinet was constructed at the mouth of the bass horn, the xovers and you couldn't remove the mid horn section (well I never figured out how to do it, no hidden screw above the tweeter and the cloth cover was all in 1 piece). The cut out for the binding posts wasn't large enough on these H2's to allow the crossover to be built onto the binding post plate and mounted there like later H2's had the crossover. I know Martin and have discussed the H2's with him on quite a number of occasions. To tell you the truth the crossovers on my Ta'us weren't built great either but at least there weren't any bits dangling in thin air.

One Drop

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2012
Peak District
AKA
Tom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Speaker sorted! Wood screw worked a treat extracting the stuck "balls" and the broken fixings came off the grille easily, as they weren't glued in.

Many thanks for your help :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawuschel