• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

In a digital system how important it an analogue preamp?

Lawrence001

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Transparency cannot be added to a signal. There was very slightly less with the MFA in. The way of describing the effect in visual terms would be to say that it was as if an almost invisible net curtain was being held over the image. But I do mean almost invisible. The change with the MFA Baby Ref V2 in the circuit was pretty much not detectable sonically.
Transparency can't be added to a signal but adding a component might help preserve it. Eg due to impedance mismatches.

• Upvote
Reactions: tuga

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
I have a preamp that I can change the gain with. Nothing else changes, except for one resistor being added to the circuit.

There's no circuit in the world afaik where you can change gain without altering any other parameter. If you know of one please publish!

Reactions: moo-fi

Bigman80

BigBottle Audio
Wammer
Dec 18, 2015
Wolverhampton
AKA
Oliver
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's no circuit in the world afaik where you can change gain without altering any other parameter. If you know of one please publish!
By "nothing else changes"

I was referring to the physical addition of a single resistor only, nothing else physically is required to change the gain.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How can a system which distorts the signal be more "transparent" to the recording (I presume you mean the signal and not the performance)?

The signal is all we have and thus the only accuracy possible is to the signal. Not only that but stereo through speakers is unable to reconstruct the original soundfield as it was captured by the mics. And you can only capture the original soundfield with a pair of mics, which rules out most recordings anyway.

So what we get is a representation of reality, an illusion, like a photograph is an illusion, one which requires a degree of abstraction from the viewer in order to "make sense". And it's a flawed illusion, which I presume is why you call it "bland".

What I find interesting is that for some people the "bland" illusion is enough to convey emotion and make the connection whilst for others it is manifestly insuficent.
There are so many misunderstandings and misconceptions buried in your response to my post that it is clear we are not in any way communicating effectively. 

I'll just leave it at that. 

Reactions: joolz and Bigman80

moo-fi

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2009
Doncaster
AKA
Fred
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Surprisingly, for classical music most labels, studios and orchestras use B&W.
That may have been true 10 years ago but things have moved on, many studios have already or in the process of moving to multi channel formats, with classical leading the way. Speakers used vary greatly, and depend on the country, with lots of Pmc and ATC in the UK. 

Reactions: Bokke

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Transparency cannot be added to a signal. There was very slightly less with the MFA in. The way of describing the effect in visual terms would be to say that it was as if an almost invisible net curtain was being held over the image. But I do mean almost invisible. The change with the MFA Baby Ref V2 in the circuit was pretty much not detectable sonically.
Transparency can't be added to a signal but adding a component might help preserve it. Eg due to impedance mismatches.
Can't it? What about if you remove things that are there?

Some people have found better power supplies improve the sound.

Bigman80

BigBottle Audio
Wammer
Dec 18, 2015
Wolverhampton
AKA
Oliver
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can't it? What about if you remove things that are there?
Some people have found better power supplies improve the sound.
No, you will then be removing the limitations of your equipment. The transparency is improved/revealed by improving equipment and removing the things that are preventing transparency.

The recording is the recording. It cannot be anything else.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That may have been true 10 years ago but things have moved on, many studios have already or in the process of moving to multi channel formats, with classical leading the way. Speakers used vary greatly, and depend on the country, with lots of Pmc and ATC in the UK. 
I’ve compiled a short list here.

B&W is used in multi-channel systems too

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are so many misunderstandings and misconceptions buried in your response to my post that it is clear we are not in any way communicating effectively. 

I'll just leave it at that. 
I agree. We don’t even use the same definitions for “transparency” or “recording”. It’s hard to communicate that way.

I get what you mean though. I can pick up a “bland” photo and turn it into something more “exciting” using Photoshop to alter tonal balance, dynamic contrast, saturation and detail sharpness.

The content will still be exactly the same, only the “presentation” will change.

Will it look more "realistic" or "involving"? It depends on who you ask.

It's still a bidimensional abstraction, without the ability to transmit sound or smell, temperature and humidity, air movement and pressure, or gravity...

Last edited by a moderator:

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, you will then be removing the limitations of your equipment. The transparency is improved/revealed by improving equipment and removing the things that are preventing transparency.

The recording is the recording. It cannot be anything else.

Yes but if your equipment is adding noise or picking say RF, then removing it will improve the transparency?

It similar to saying a digital RAW image is the recording and it can't be improved or made more transparent.

Bigman80

BigBottle Audio
Wammer
Dec 18, 2015
Wolverhampton
AKA
Oliver
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes but if your equipment is adding noise or picking say RF, then removing it will improve the transparency?
It similar to saying a digital RAW image is the recording and it can't be improved or made more transparent.
Yes, but you aren't improving the Recording....you are improving the performance of the equipment.

Everything you do to a RAW image afterwards is an addition.

Think of it as going from the edited Jpeg to the RAW file.

Reactions: Lawrence001

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Also you do realize that by using the Dave straight into the amplifier that you used it's inbuilt volume control?....a silicone chip.
You do realise the signal path is unchanged within the Dave whether one uses it in DAC mode outputting to a preamp or whether one uses the Dave in Pre Amp mode outputting straight to a power amp. So the only difference is that in the former case one is adding all the extra circuits of the pre amp.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You do realise the signal path is unchanged within the Dave whether one uses it in DAC mode outputting to a preamp or whether one uses the Dave in Pre Amp mode outputting straight to a power amp. So the only difference is that in the former case one is adding all the extra circuits of the pre amp.
Is the volume control in the Dave analogue or digital/DSP?

Bigman80

BigBottle Audio
Wammer
Dec 18, 2015
Wolverhampton
AKA
Oliver
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok, I can see that you aren't understanding what I'm saying.

No problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
night_tripper