May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Didn't you have an etherregen too? 

I have a spare 10mhz port on my atomic clock, so was going to try one.
Yes i do have an Etherregen. I like it, especially with an LPS and i have had to spend a lot more to get better, ie with the PhoenixNET. I also have a couple of 10MHz BG7TBL clock. All are going on eBay this weekend having just had a max £2 final value fee offer this morning!

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes i do have an Etherregen. I like it, especially with an LPS and i have had to spend a lot more to get better, ie with the PhoenixNET. I also have a couple of 10MHz BG7TBL clock. All are going on eBay this weekend having just had a max £2 final value fee offer this morning!
Well you know how I like eBay  :p

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
last update from me on mini zen power supplies. Having left the Temple audio on overnight, my impression vs the Sbooster remains the same, and a bit more clear. I have given the nod to the supercharger. Slightly wider staging, instruments a tiny bit better separated, and the whole presentation is a smidge taller as well.

So there you have it, I can recommend the Temple Audio Supercharger as a good 12v PSU, and at £250, pretty strong value. That is my attempt at consumer advice!

Thanks again to John (Richard) Lurch for the Sbooster loan, a very kind gesture, which i hope to one day repay. Signing out from James (Jennie) Psilonaught. It is beer'oclock.  :pint:

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
last update from me on mini zen power supplies. Having left the Temple audio on overnight, my impression vs the Sbooster remains the same, and a bit more clear. I have given the nod to the supercharger. Slightly wider staging, instruments a tiny bit better separated, and the whole presentation is a smidge taller as well.

So there you have it, I can recommend the Temple Audio Supercharger as a good 12v PSU, and at £250, pretty strong value. That is my attempt at consumer advice!

Thanks again to John (Richard) Lurch for the Sbooster loan, a very kind gesture, which i hope to one day repay. Signing out from James (Jennie) Psilonaught. It is beer'oclock.  :pint:
That's quite a result. I know theese things are system/room/ears dependent but I have the SBooster at the top of my own list of reasonably priced LPS and have yet to hear a Temple. Thanks for your perseverance and sharing of the journey!

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's quite a result. I know theese things are system/room/ears dependent but I have the SBooster at the top of my own list of reasonably priced LPS and have yet to hear a Temple. Thanks for your perseverance and sharing of the journey!
My pleasure. Worth noting that Temple Audio is a small, UK manufacturer, and the owner is also a jolly nice chap, so I'm happy to not be sending him a request for a refund :)

If someone desperately wants me to open it up to see the insides, I can do so, once it is fully discharged obviously!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My pleasure. Worth noting that Temple Audio is a small, UK manufacturer, and the owner is also a jolly nice chap, so I'm happy to not sending be sending him a request for a refund :)

If someone desperately wants me to open it up to see the insides, I can do so, once it is fully discharged obviously!
I've poked around their website a couple of times. The principles behind the technical designs have impressed and the value for money approach is admirable: a relatively stable product line, not relying on constant ramping up is something I find refreshing. I guess one man's "built-in obsolescence" is another's "exciting technical advance" so we'll all be in different places on this, but I admire the whole Temple approach from what I've seen. To know the guy behind it is a nice one is a bonus!

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hmmn, all possible classic symptoms of more noise artefacts? 😜🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Griff500

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmmn, all possible classic symptoms of more noise artefacts? 😜🤪
Which just goes to show that "noise artefacts" are not intrinsically/objectively/always bad! Some people prefer what they bring to the sonic party, and indeed many systems have been built around their existence and might sound flat without them.
The sound including them might not be the hi-est of fi, but we've all argued for the overriding importance of enjoying what our systems do to our listening pleasure. Well, most of us.... I wonder what happened to whatisname... :)

Don't make me start a thread called For the Love of Noise... it could get messy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Which just goes to show that "noise artefacts" are not intrinsically/objectively/always bad! Some people prefer what they bring to the sonic party, and indeed many systems have been built around their existence and might sound flat without them.
The sound including them might not be the hi-est of fi, but we've all argued for the overriding importance of enjoying what our systems do to our listening pleasure. Well, most of us.... I wonder what happened to whatisname... :)

Don't make me start a thread called For the Love of Noise... it could get messy!
Well I would argue that if they are noise artefacts then indeed they are intrinsically bad and will ultimately be fatiguing. I do however allow that there is a chance that they are not noise but with a power supply change to a streamer those sorts of descriptions are nearly always as a result of noise induced intermodulation distortion which is not benign noise such as might be found in a valve amp. If one considers the mechanism for how a power supply to a digital source can affect the sound it is usually by producing more/less noise overlaid on the digital signal which when it gets into the dac analogue stage produces the intermodulation distortion.

All I would suggest to @Psilonaught is that he does some extended listening because that might (and it is a might rather than a will) reveal that the initially less impressive sound has more real detail because it is being masked by noise artefacts in the other one. 

I say this having spent all of yesterday listening to different power supplies myself and one initially impressed for all the Psilonaught mentioned reasons but i found in the end I was only listening to the test track with it and had no inclination to listen for longer but with a different power supply I relaxed and found myself listening to the whole album. This was confirmed when I went and found some other tracks which I know to have a rather hard or tiring top end.

Just suggestin’. Nothing more. Peace not war and all that. ☮️ 😜

Reactions: TheFlash

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Morning all.

Just dug this comment out of the supercharger blurb on the temple audio website

The bank of super capacitors in the supercharger give similar benefits to a battery system without any of the common drawbacks. They provide a local reservoir of pre regulated noise free power. We characterise the super capacitor as a black hole for noise. It continually absorbs unwanted signals (noise) in to itself.
It would suggest that the difference between 12v laptop power supply and the supercharger is a reduction in noise coming into the Innuous.

Same with slight improvement over the Sbooster.

Just a hunch, and don't pretend to know why I can hear differences!

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've decided to try a mutec mc3 usb, mated to my rubidium clock, ahead of trying a Zenith. It will make for an interesting comparison.

AMCC

New Wammer
Jan 27, 2018
Cumbria
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to say that I bought the Innuos power supply without any comparisons as I am testing speakers and wanted a fast solution. It works well and happy days.
Hi, I realise this is now quite an old thread but maybe you could shine a little light on a question I have?
I have (around 6 months ago) bought an Innuos Pulsemini and Chord Quetest dac. The rest of the sytem is a Luxman Integrated amp and Troels Gravesen speakers. Overall, I'm pretty happy happy with the sound and delighted with the ease of use of the system. There is a strong case for not looking any further but, you know how it goes!
Essentially my question revolves around upgraded power supplies and upgraded power leads. Both Innuos and Qutest run off the power supplies which came as standard with the purchase and so far I have a completely standard 6 way mins block with a standard 13 amp plug.
Since you have or at least had similar equipment and also went for the upgrade Innuos power supply I wonder if you could offer your findings on which (mains cables or power supply) offer the greatest or most noticable uplift in sound quality?

Many thanks, Alan

JustinTime

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jan 18, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Alan (@AMCC), power supplies all the way, including the Innuos one. As long as enough current can get through the cable to meet the device's demands - and the only seriously hungry-for-instant-bursts devices are amplifiers - the thing that differentiates power cables is the shielding, where a copper or aluminium shield is more effective than a braided shield is more effective than no shield at all. There is a helluva lot more going on in a power supply. Give me a really good PSU + stock kettle lead over an ok PSU + exotic power lead anyday. Hope this helps.

AMCC

New Wammer
Jan 27, 2018
Cumbria
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi and thanks for that.

There seems to be quite a price range covering power supplies. Any particular model recommended? Also I guess ideally a power supply for both the Innuos and the Chord dac is preferable. If it was just one would you feed the Innuos or Chord?

Cheers, Alan

Tintinabulum

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2014
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uptone Audio (John Swenson) make highly regarded power supplies, JS2, they come up second hand periodically. I have one I could be parted from.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello everyone

As some of you will know I have just bought an Innuos Zen Mini mk3 streamer and was intending to use my SBooster with it. But am now considering to continue to use the SBooster with my Auralic Mini and getting a dedicated power supply for the Innuos.

SBooster do one at £330 and Innuos do one as well at £500. And there are others. Has anyone compared these power supplies with the Zen Mini mk3? If so what are the differences please?

If the Innuos needs 12 V DC, as I think it does, have you considered ditching AC altogether and using a rechargeable 12 V battery? A lot less costly, no concerns about AC-DC rectification or RFI problems and a small 12 V battery would last a month or several before recharging. I used batteries for a Red Wine power amp some years ago - it was designed to use this for power - and it received rave reviews. Just a thought.

Last edited:

AMCC

New Wammer
Jan 27, 2018
Cumbria
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uptone Audio (John Swenson) make highly regarded power supplies, JS2, they come up second hand periodically. I have one I could be parted from.
The world of power supplies and their impact on sound is not entirely new to me. I had in the past Naim equipment. Expensive power supplies seemed to promise big improvements in their line though the cost eventually pushed me away from Naim.
I would like to do a little more homework on various power supplies that are available on the used market to match the Pulsemini. Assuming your JS2 does match, do you have a figure in mind that would persuade you to part?

Best, Alan

AMCC

New Wammer
Jan 27, 2018
Cumbria
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the Innuos needs 12 V DC, as I think it does, have you considered ditching AC altogether and using a rechargeable 12 V battery? A lot less costly, no concerns about AC-DC rectification or RFI problems and a small 12 V battery would last a month or several before recharging. I used batteries for a Red Wine power amp some years ago - it was designed to use this for power - and it received rave reviews. Just a thought.
This is something I hadn't considered. I'm not technically well qualified and the thought scares me a little. Is this as straightforward as it maybe seems? Could there be any damage caused to other components ?

Cheers,
Alan

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Using batteries requires a degree of confidence. A plug in PSU with the right pedigree will be plug and play and be safe relative to a battery pack. I’m a Farad Super 3 user but their prices have gone way up since 2020.

Reactions: JustinTime

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.