Innuos Zen failing to do anything. UK service agent?

Firebottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 13, 2020
The Black Country
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Zen has been playing up. I wanted to import more files, fail.

Tried a couple of files from the backup and ripping a CD, fail. Now it won't connect at all.

I suspect the hard drive but there is no way ro check. Is there a UK service agent I can send it to to be fixed?

Boycie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2010
Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Go onto Innuos.com and lodge a service ticket and then one of the team, maybe Nunno himself will get back to you to try to resolve.  When I've had issues before they have been very good.  Just one thought, you have upgraded the OS to 2.0 and above?

Firebottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 13, 2020
The Black Country
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been/are on that route. Couldn't be more helpful.

Unfortunately I couldn't run a remote session due to using a Chromebook. OS is 1.4.7, that's the latest that the Zen accepted before problems.

Boycie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2010
Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bugger!  I also was having issues when running the 1.X.X OS which have been largely resolved in 2.X.X

Maybe a phone call to Innous GB is in order as I think that they are based in Northampton/Midlands area and either send the unit to them or take it to them, if you are close enough?  Their phone number is 44(0) 2475 200 210 

I run mine (Mk2 Zen) through an Android tablet, so I have no knowledge of using Chromebook.

In any case good luck and hope that you get it sorted.

Boycie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2010
Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for that John, I think that is the only option open to me now.

It doesn't even appear on My Innuos or Fing now.
Oh hell, that does sound rather serious.  I don't think you've got anything to lose by ringing them.  Usually much easier to speak to someone than hammer it out on a keyboard.  For what it's worth, if you can get it to run on 2.X.X, I would think that you would also get an upgrade in sound quality......don't ask me why but I definitely noticed it as have others I believe.  Therefore, it worth pursuing this or you have an expensive paper weight.

Good luck.

Boycie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2010
Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to hear this but hopefully you will get it sorted.  Is you one still in warranty or is this going to cost you?

Firebottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 13, 2020
The Black Country
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Boycie, it's an on going tale unfortunately.

Innuos tested the unit and stated that there was no problem with the HDD. When asked if the HDD could be replaced with an SSD the reply was that only certain drives were used due to their fault reporting capabilities and no SSD's had been approved for use. Perhaps the Mk3 is different in it's SSD implementation.

The Zen was returned with OS 2.0 installed and I imported my music files and all was well. I really liked the new dashboard, a move away from LMS.

However when I came to power up the Zen on Saturday I got a message saying it couldn't connect to the server. It is seen on the network but that's it. No changes were made to the installation so to say I'm P'eed off is an understatement.

I have emailed Innuos service again but so far no reply. My guess is the HDD is failing, looking at the date sticker it is now 5 years old.

The repair/reprogramming charge was quite reasonable but the thing that stuck in my craw was Innuos charging VAT on top of the pickup/delivery charge of £20 each way. So I have paid the government £8 just for the privilege of having it transported. 😠

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The repair/reprogramming charge was quite reasonable but the thing that stuck in my craw was Innuos charging VAT on top of the pickup/delivery charge of £20 each way. So I have paid the government £8 just for the privilege of having it transported. 😠
Innuos don't 'charge' VAT...they collect it on behalf of the government. If you want a more progressive tax policy, you will have to stop voting Tory.

£20 plus VAT each way for one box might be a bit strong, though. Does the box have it's own LPSU?

Last edited by a moderator:

Firebottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 13, 2020
The Black Country
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I realise the 'Value' added to the service is just another way for the government to fleece us.

Yes I thought £20 was a bit strong hence my vexation at further charge. I use a separate LPSU but just sent the Zen itself.

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

Innuos tested the unit and stated that there was no problem with the HDD. When asked if the HDD could be replaced with an SSD the reply was that only certain drives were used due to their fault reporting capabilities and no SSD's had been approved for use. Perhaps the Mk3 is different in it's SSD implementation.

The Zen was returned with OS 2.0 installed and I imported my music files and all was well. I really liked the new dashboard, a move away from LMS.

However when I came to power up the Zen on Saturday I got a message saying it couldn't connect to the server. It is seen on the network but that's it. No changes were made to the installation so to say I'm P'eed off is an understatement.

I have emailed Innuos service again but so far no reply. My guess is the HDD is failing, looking at the date sticker it is now 5 years old.

Alan, I often telephone Innuos rather than rely on email/messaging and have always found their reponse to be very good and efficient over the phone. Just a thought.

Boycie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2010
Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Hi Alan,

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems.  I see that you say that you went to power up the Zen on Saturday.  Do you not leave it on all the time?  Sometimes mine will say it can't connect but it's rare but I leave mine turned on all the time.  Presumably if they can't find anything wrong with the hdd, then it shouldn't be at fault?  I know that keep powering up the Zen will sometimes change the ip address so it maybe why it struggled to find the server?

I hasten to add that I am not a computer expert and am only going on personal experience.  As for the VAT, it annoys me that we have to line the Governments pockets to breath.  However, what ever flavour of dictatorship will sadly be the same........waits for the barrage of pro politics to come in 🥱

Reactions: garn63

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online