Craig_

Wammer
Jan 4, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Craig !
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m very pleased with my Zen mk3 - much preferring cd rips played from it’s HDD vs my old Arcam CD37 which I always regarded very highly. It sounds smooth & relaxed with non of the edge/fatigue that is normally experienced with some digital front ends.

Also curious how much SQ improvement can be had from the Zenith. I will be looking to get a home demo soon. 

leroyd

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally my enthusiasm around the Innuos range is the ability to rip, store and organise all your music in one place
Together with being able to rip, store and organise my brothers CD collection, along with a couple of mates cd collection

Reactions: Craig_

leroyd

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also curious how much SQ improvement can be had from the Zenith. I will be looking to get a home demo soon. 
Would love to hear your comments on that home demo. The price difference between the Zen and Zenith is considerable, so the difference in performance would need to reflect that, in order for me to invest. Love my Zen mkIII

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I’m very pleased with my Zen mk3 - much preferring cd rips played from it’s HDD vs my old Arcam CD37 which I always regarded very highly. It sounds smooth & relaxed with non of the edge/fatigue that is normally experienced with some digital front ends.

As an alternative you might consider getting a demo of a PhoenixUSB connected to the Zen 3 to see what you think of that compared to the Zenith 3.

Reactions: leroyd and Craig_

wHIZZY

Measured Subjectivist
Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Sunny Devon
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The replay from ripped is not bad and (in my system) find it slightly better than the Node2i.
Also great to see (per the Innuos feature request page) that Amazon music connectivity is “Planned”.
BBC Sounds is also listed amongst planned updates. Surprised however that I still need to use Orange Squeeze for functions like random play. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: justinhd

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I am sticking with the ZEN III in 2T form until I fill it and then making my mind up. If a second hand ZENith comes up I may buy that as £3.5 for the upgrade is steep.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
dealers may have ex dem zen mark 3 . mine is going back to dealer soon, it was new when i had it . maybe more like that 

Mike Hughes

Wammer
Dec 31, 2020
A Zen with a half decent DAC can better CD replay but only if you’ve put some effort into minimising noise etc. A Zenith in broadly the same circumstances will almost always better CD replay. 

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A Zen with a half decent DAC can better CD replay but only if you’ve put some effort into minimising noise etc. A Zenith in broadly the same circumstances will almost always better CD replay. 
Ah ha, well it has a Music Works mains cable, foo USB cable, Gustard U-12 SPDIF, into Transparent Reference Co-ax. The DAC is pretty damn good and goes via Transparent Reference XLR to the pre. 

Some effort was done, but the Wadia transport is still better. 

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
how would you minimise noise ? so far i have found the zen mark 3 is roughly equal to my marantz sa8005 into a fine dac 

DomT

It’s all about the music
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Nottingham
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry if this has been said already in this thread but I am sure that @Fourlegs intimated that the key difference in the more expensive Innuos streamers is in the power supply.  If this is the case then maybe keep the streamer and look at a new power supply?

Mike Hughes

Wammer
Dec 31, 2020
@hifinuttyou would minimise noise by experimenting with LPS, different cables, network switches etc. When you move up to the Zenith that doesn’t become redundant but it’s less of an immediate need. 

Reactions: hifinutt

Mike Hughes

Wammer
Dec 31, 2020
Sorry if this has been said already in this thread but I am sure that @Fourlegs intimated that the key difference in the more expensive Innuos streamers is in the power supply.  If this is the case then maybe keep the streamer and look at a new power supply?
You can definitely benefit from an upgraded power supply with the Zen and Zenith but the lower down the hierarchy you are then the greater the gain. I’ve tried a few loans with my Zenith and in the end I’ve stuck with it going into a Musicline PowerIgel.