Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There is a connection to the router for ripping and control purposes. 

I don't use it as a multi system device. 
OK, I have exactly the same connection as you. The PhoenixNET switch inserted between the router and the Innuos (or indeed AN OTHER streamer) gave me an audible uplift in SQ. I am told that it also does the same for the top of the range Statement.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK, I have exactly the same connection as you. The PhoenixNET switch inserted between the router and the Innuos (or indeed AN OTHER streamer) gave me an audible uplift in SQ. I am told that it also does the same for the top of the range Statement.
How can that happen, as the flow of data is from the box to the DAC? In my set-up the only purpose of the LAN connection is to control the box via a tablet and to get the information on the CDs?

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
How can that happen, as the flow of data is from the box to the DAC? In my set-up the only purpose of the LAN connection is to control the box via a tablet and to get the information on the CDs?
That is exactly how I use mine as well. There is all sorts of chatter between the Innuos and the tablet, reporting back on track progress, loading track and album info onto the tablet etc (albeit that Innuos have sought to reduce that as much as possible with their 2.0 software but they have not reduced it to zero). 

The improvement that the Innuos PhoenixNET brings to the party is definitely not just for those that stream and also applies to just playing local files stored on the Innuos. There are those who say it is even better than pulling the router cable from the back of the Innuos.

Edit, I have assumed you are using the Innuos 2.0 software and app and not Roon but that was an assumption. Roon has more chatter and data loading to the tablet than 2.0. Also, I forgot to ask if you are using the Innuos in ‘offline mode’ or not? This is a setting within the 2.0 software.

Last edited by a moderator:

A.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2014
Hertfordshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The money spent on the Zen/Zeniths followed by extra spent on power supplies/filters/magic stones runs into thousands. Wouldn’t it be easier to have an ever expanding Deezer/Tidal/Qobuz/Apple/Amazon sub etc which costs just over £100 a year for FLAC minus the hassle of ripping, editing metadata, keeping backups of SSD/HDDs? In a few years, these boxes will fail or Innuos will stop providing software updates. For the cost of these boxes you could have 20-30 years of FLAC subscription minus the hassle of ripping and managing data. This something that I have been mulling over. 

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is exactly how I use mine as well. There is all sorts of chatter between the Innuos and the tablet, reporting back on track progress, loading track and album info onto the tablet etc (albeit that Innuos have sought to reduce that as much as possible with their 2.0 software but they have not reduced it to zero). 

The improvement that the Innuos PhoenixNET brings to the party is definitely not just for those that stream and also applies to just playing local files stored on the Innuos. There are those who say it is even better than pulling the router cable from the back of the Innuos.

Edit, I have assumed you are using the Innuos 2.0 software and app and not Roon but that was an assumption. Roon has more chatter and data loading to the tablet than 2.0. Also, I forgot to ask if you are using the Innuos in ‘offline mode’ or not? This is a setting within the 2.0 software.
I use Innuos 2 software and the latest APP. 

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The money spent on the Zen/Zeniths followed by extra spent on power supplies/filters/magic stones runs into thousands. Wouldn’t it be easier to have an ever expanding Deezer/Tidal/Qobuz/Apple/Amazon sub etc which costs just over £100 a year for FLAC minus the hassle of ripping, editing metadata, keeping backups of SSD/HDDs? In a few years, these boxes will fail or Innuos will stop providing software updates. For the cost of these boxes you could have 20-30 years of FLAC subscription minus the hassle of ripping and managing data. This something that I have been mulling over. 
I have a Tidal subscription and TBH it doesn't sound as good as ripped CDs. Mind, my CDP sounds better by some margin to my ZEN III at the moment.

Also, a lot of CDs I own are not available on one platform, if they are it's the wrong version of the song etc..

Reactions: leroyd

leroyd

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Tidal subscription and TBH it doesn't sound as good as ripped CDs. Mind, my CDP sounds better by some margin to my ZEN III at the moment.

Also, a lot of CDs I own are not available on one platform, if they are it's the wrong version of the song etc..
May I ask what DAC are you using with the Zen III and what CD player are you using? Is the CD player using the same DAC as the Zen?

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
May I ask what DAC are you using with the Zen III and what CD player are you using? Is the CD player using the same DAC as the Zen?
Wadia X64-4 DAC, Wadia WT2000 transport.  ZEN goes USB to a Gustard 12 SPDIF converter and then Coax (Transparent Reference) to the DAC. Transport via ST optical to the DAC. I may get a better USB converter if I can find one. 

If you are local pop in. 

leroyd

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wadia X64-4 DAC, Wadia WT2000 transport.  ZEN goes USB to a Gustard 12 SPDIF converter and then Coax (Transparent Reference) to the DAC. Transport via ST optical to the DAC. I may get a better USB converter if I can find one. 

If you are local pop in. 
Thanks for the invite but I live in the west of Ireland, so no can do. When I got my Zen and ran it through the same Dac as my Primare CD32 player (using the CD32 as a transport) CD and ripped files sounded identical. 

Reactions: hifinutt

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London

If I can ask, why are you thinking of investing so much in a ZEN if it doesn't sound as good as your CDP? Maybe try a different/better streamer once you've ripped your CDs?

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the invite but I live in the west of Ireland, so no can do. When I got my Zen and ran it through the same Dac as my Primare CD32 player (using the CD32 as a transport) CD and ripped files sounded identical. 
thats good to know . just spent 3 days trying to get a zen mark 3 to work and will also be comparing with various cd players . for some strange reason the innuous would not connect via my TP link deco m5 mesh which is supposed to be a mini router . Its only worked after you guys and other suggested plugging it direct to router . as thats a long way from the hifi it wont be practical !!  

leroyd

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thats good to know . just spent 3 days trying to get a zen mark 3 to work and will also be comparing with various cd players . for some strange reason the innuous would not connect via my TP link deco m5 mesh which is supposed to be a mini router . Its only worked after you guys and other suggested plugging it direct to router . as thats a long way from the hifi it wont be practical !!  
Same as you, as my router is too far away. I use this and it works perfectly.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/range-extender/tl-wa850re/

Reactions: hifinutt

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I can ask, why are you thinking of investing so much in a ZEN if it doesn't sound as good as your CDP? Maybe try a different/better streamer once you've ripped your CDs?
just tried a few tracks in the zen . i cant really hear any improvement over my marantz used as a transport yet. early days yet . 

Reactions: DomT

wHIZZY

Measured Subjectivist
Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Sunny Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
just tried a few tracks in the zen . i cant really hear any improvement over my marantz used as a transport yet. early days yet . 
Personally my enthusiasm around the Innuos range is the ability to rip, store and organise all your music in one place, plus easy access to internet radio and online music streaming services, together with the ability to control it all from your chair via the app. With regard to sound quality I would not expect the DAC in the Innuos Mini to sound better than the DAC you already have in the Marantz. To get a better SQ I think your will need a high quality external DAC, say something like a Chord Mojo and upwards. 

Reactions: justinhd

justinhd

Wammer
Aug 25, 2016
London
AKA
Justin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally my enthusiasm around the Innuos range is the ability to rip, store and organise all your music in one place, plus easy access to internet radio and online music streaming services, together with the ability to control it all from your chair via the app. With regard to sound quality I would not expect the DAC in the Innuos Mini to sound better than the DAC you already have in the Marantz. To get a better SQ I think your will need a high quality external DAC, say something like a Chord Mojo and upwards. 
The replay from ripped is not bad and (in my system) find it slightly better than the Node2i.
Also great to see (per the Innuos feature request page) that Amazon music connectivity is “Planned”.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thanks i think the black ice heavily modded valve dac is pretty good . i have only used the zen with that . take quite a bit to beat that dac !! 

Reactions: wHIZZY

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles