Innuos Zenith Mk3 VS Auralic Aries G2

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Think I know where you are coming from on this… fully agree, I am staggered that “audiophile” switches are even a thing. Some of the claims and statements made on such products aren’t even logical never mind starting a discussion about subjectiveness etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

packetdiscards

New Wammer
Dec 21, 2019
Appreciate some of the kind responses, however I agree… the original question posed was the benefit of the Zenith Mk3 vs the Aries G2…

To help the original poster, I think it might be worth bringing it back on the topic of why one would be better than the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Griff500

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2017
Prague, Czech
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Southeastern

A couple of things I did with my Aries G2 that made it even better:

- Sablon Audio 2020 ethernet cable (I also added a PhoenixNET switch but the cable alone made a difference).

- Hoer-Wege power supply upgrade - easy to fit and easily reversed.

I'd probably go for the cable before the power supply upgrade - it's surprising how much difference it makes.

Auralic are excellent at providing regular updates to their app and firmware.

Regarding the 'issue' if you sell it and 'releasing' it - I can't think why you would want to sell it but when I sold my previous Aries Mini I just did the required bit in my online account and it was done. I'm not sure what the fuss is about - it was a two-second job.

Auralic have a well-deserved reputation and I have been more than happy with my Aries G2. Enjoy!

Reactions: DomT

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Southeastern

- Sablon Audio 2020 ethernet cable (I also added a PhoenixNET switch but the cable along made a difference).

I'd probably go for the cable before the power supply upgrade - it's surprising how much difference it makes.

Regarding the 'issue' if you sell it and 'releasing' it - I can't think why you would want to sell it but when I sold my previous Aries Mini I just did the required bit in my online account and it was done. I'm not sure what the fuss is about - it was a two-second job.

Auralic have a well-deserved reputation and I have been more than happy with my Aries G2. Enjoy!
Interesting news. I have just read their site and they do the Altair G1 as well. 

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Southeastern

- Sablon Audio 2020 ethernet cable (I also added a PhoenixNET switch but the cable alone made a difference).

I use a Shunyata Venom ethernet and usb cable...Im not sure I want to spend the price of that Sablon a cable though!...The Shunyata is excellent even at their entry level stuff.

I've had a look at that power supply - definitely food for thought, but another £500+...I think I'll try to stay happy with what I have right now as it was a large expenditure on its own. What differences did you notice with the upgrade?

I think the previous poster obviously has a grievance with Auralic, which I probably would if there was a fault that is shown to be a common manufacturing fault and they refused to do anything about it or charge a high amount to fix it. However I do agree, the whole registration thing is an unnecessary faff - what if the previous owner had died? does that mean the unit then cant be sold on by say family if they can't access his emails, and it basically becomes an expensive brick?

Although I've kept the Auralic and am very very happy with my sound right now, that does leave a bit of a taste in my mouth, it basically says 'you don't own your product, even after spending ££££ on it,  we do'. 

Griff500

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2017
Prague, Czech
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a Shunyata Venom ethernet and usb cable...Im not sure I want to spend the price of that Sablon a cable though!...The Shunyata is excellent even at their entry level stuff.

I've had a look at that power supply - definitely food for thought, but another £500+...I think I'll try to stay happy with what I have right now as it was a large expenditure on its own. What differences did you notice with the upgrade?

I think the previous poster obviously has a grievance with Auralic, which I probably would if there was a fault that is shown to be a common manufacturing fault and they refused to do anything about it or charge a high amount to fix it. However I do agree, the whole registration thing is an unnecessary faff - what if the previous owner had died? does that mean the unit then cant be sold on by say family if they can't access his emails, and it basically becomes an expensive brick?

Although I've kept the Auralic and am very very happy with my sound right now, that does leave a bit of a taste in my mouth, it basically says 'you don't own your product, even after spending ££££ on it,  we do'. 
I take your points about registration, although if I've died then I'm not really going to care too much about it.  9_9 xD

Shunyata users seem to be happy with the products - I don't recall reading any negative comments. The prices certainly can go into the stratosphere with some of their products.

The upgraded power supply for the Auralic basically made everything a little bit better ('better' for me generally means more definition in the bass, more separation between instruments, more texture - things I might associate with reduced noise, but I could be entirely wrong about the cause). Personally, I wouldn't say the gains are huge with the G2 and it's got a decent dual power supply in there already - I get the feeling that there are bigger potential gains from doing the same thing with a G1 based on user's comments on the Auralic forum.

I've also got all of my equipment connected to an Ansuz C2 distributor with some C2 power cables and that made a worthwhile difference, so perhaps that reduced the impact of the upgraded power supply.

I noticed a bigger difference from the better ethernet cable than the Aries power supply, which I found rather bizarre.

I am very happy with my system now and I don't feel the need to change anything, so I'm in the process of spunking money on a new TV setup instead.  xD

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I take your points about registration, although if I've died then I'm not really going to care too much about it.  9_9 xD

Shunyata users seem to be happy with the products - I don't recall reading any negative comments. The prices certainly can go into the stratosphere with some of their products.

The upgraded power supply for the Auralic basically made everything a little bit better ('better' for me generally means more definition in the bass, more separation between instruments, more texture - things I might associate with reduced noise, but I could be entirely wrong about the cause). Personally, I wouldn't say the gains are huge with the G2 and it's got a decent dual power supply in there already - I get the feeling that there are bigger potential gains from doing the same thing with a G1 based on user's comments on the Auralic forum.

I've also got all of my equipment connected to an Ansuz C2 distributor with some C2 power cables and that made a worthwhile difference, so perhaps that reduced the impact of the upgraded power supply.

I noticed a bigger difference from the better ethernet cable than the Aries power supply, which I found rather bizarre.

I am very happy with my system now and I don't feel the need to change anything, so I'm in the process of spunking money on a new TV setup instead.  xD
lol you would care if you bought one used and then couldn't ever own it :)  

For me, Shunyata is the cream of digital and mains cables, as Cardas is of analogue cables. They have some crazy prices, but having found their entry level Venom stuff better than other brands that would charge 3-4 times the price, I just stick with it as my 'gold' standard..as I just wouldnt spend some of those mental amount amounts. i will definitely keep an eye out for a used Sablon USB though!

I already have a great OLED so feeling fairly at peace with everything right now! I am hoping I don't get any upgrade bugs in the near future, but I know I probably will :)  

• Haha
Reactions: Griff500

Griff500

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2017
Prague, Czech
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i will definitely keep an eye out for a used Sablon USB though!

I already have a great OLED so feeling fairly at peace with everything right now! I am hoping I don't get any upgrade bugs in the near future, but I know I probably will :)  
I don't think they come up for sale all that often. For some reason people seem to hold onto them... ;-)  

I'm using a 65" Sony A1 OLED and it still produces a stunning picture, but I fancy a bigger screen so I've ordered the Samsung LSP9T UST laser projector and it should be here in a couple of days. I managed to get it for far less over here in Euroland than it is in the UK. I like the idea of not having a huge screen dominating the room and the short-throw projector and electric screen should fit in the room quite well and just leave a box on the cabinet and a blank wall when not in use. Hopefully the picture is good enough during the daylight hours, although I mostly watch TV in the evenings anyway and have music on all day while I'm working. I'm tempted to also get Samsung's new soundbar as well, which is supposed to be pretty good.

I might have gone a bit off-topic...  9_9

andrew s

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 10, 2014
Cheshire
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I found a bigger TV screen better separated the actors and improved both vertical imaging and depth perception. Overall a more organic presentation.😊

Regards Andrew 

Griff500

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2017
Prague, Czech
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I found a bigger TV screen better separated the actors and improved both vertical imaging and depth perception. Overall a more organic presentation.😊

Regards Andrew 
Thank god for that - I wasn't entirely off-topic!  xD

I do worry that a full surround sound system might introduce more background noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles