iPhones and Hi-Fi - What Can You Do With One That Is Potentially Useful???

U

User211

Oh yeah - forgot. Get an iRig adapter for your leccy geetar and AmpKit software and use those amp cab effects into headphones or your guitar amp.

Then realise that it'll work as an interface to AudioTools with a serious microphone... and you can measurebait with the best of 'em - without everyone thinking "dodgy mic - wot does he think he's playing at?".

matt_mcg

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 17, 2010
, ,
Like others I use iPeng to control a squeezebox. Totally life-changing [for small values of life-changing] to be able to browse hundreds of ripped CDs and have them all automagically play without having to have a computer in the room, or use a fiddly remote control. My CDs now live in a cupboard and never see the light of day.

The squeezebox by itself is a fine thing [surprisingly good audio quality], but the addition of iPeng is night and day in terms of usability.

Tons of Fun

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 26, 2006
Concrete cow funland
AKA
Ed
Another control App worth a look for those who have gear that responds to a remote and isn't a squeezebox is RedEye Mini. This little wigit goes in the socket of an iPhone/iPad and turns it into a remote control. You can assemble the key commands on a single screen including macro's and delayed commands. Works rather well.

U

User211

You could get religion and go to Church for an Xmas sing song like I did last night, accidentally recording the service using Wavepad.

Interestingly, you can do it with 32 bit precision at 44.1KHz in wav format.

alechodgson

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 25, 2007
Loughborough/London
AKA
Alec
I might be being really stupid, but here goes!

Is there a way of getting a digital signal out of the iphone 4? I went to whack it in the doc the other day then realised as i'm using a CEC DAC i have no analogue inputs (d'oh) as I'm using the inbuilt preamp in the DAC and connecting to power amps.

Darn annoying!

Cheers

Vinyl Art

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nope....unless you dock it with a device with a digital out.. :)

However, non Apple smartphones do have a USB out which can go into a suitable DAC, not much help to you but it is not often that, as a non I Phone user, i can sit back with a feeling of smug contentment. :)

U

User211

I might be being really stupid, but here goes!Is there a way of getting a digital signal out of the iphone 4? I went to whack it in the doc the other day then realised as i'm using a CEC DAC i have no analogue inputs (d'oh) as I'm using the inbuilt preamp in the DAC and connecting to power amps.

Darn annoying!

Cheers
Good post.

Challenge - find the cheapest way to get iPhone digital audio into an S/PDIF input. Wired or wireless solutions both have street cred.

V

Voice_Coil

Another cool looking app is SoundHound, which claims to be able to identify tracks by simply listening to 'em. I've downloaded it but not tried it yet. TBH, I'm expecting it not to identify most of the shite I listen too, but you never know... anyone used it? If so, what do you think?
thats been around for years mate, my 3 year old sony does it, and its a great little app.

U

User211

thats been around for years mate, my 3 year old sony does it, and its a great little app.
Yeah but it is full of shit and gets it wrong a lot when you really start playing with it.

Things can only get better with more research & effort, though.

V

Voice_Coil

Yeah but it is full of shit and gets it wrong a lot when you really start playing with it.Things can only get better with more research & effort, though.
mines never gone wrong, but i dont have an apple iphone 4 :p

[video=youtube;FL7yD-0pqZg]

U

User211

mines never gone wrong, but i dont have an apple iphone 4 :p [video=youtube;FL7yD-0pqZg]

So old so excellent so true.

I'll take a mil-spec iPhone.

U

User211

I reckon you can plug the iPhone USB output straight into a Musical Fidelity V-Link and into a high quality DAC via SPDIF and it'll sound great. No PC/laptop in the loop. I'll try it when I get the V-Link I just ordered.

Also, A2DP Bluetooth. Any way to get this into the V-Link's USB input anyone? Would a A2DP USB receiver dongle do the job? Bit confused on this one. Probably needs a driver for it to work, which can't be hosted on the V-Link - obviously.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi-Fi uses for an iPhone:

1. Phone your hi-fi dealer and buy a CD player

2. Er ... that's it.

:cool:

U

User211

Hi-Fi uses for an iPhone:1. Phone your hi-fi dealer and buy a CD player

2. Er ... that's it.

:cool:
It's 2011. Wake up! And turn The Stranglers down... it is affecting your judgement:^

U

User211

iphones and Hi Fi: The best thing you can do is switch it off and throw it in the bottom Drawer !!!
Justify that statement and I'm fine with it. Don't and I'll think you a twat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles