Peter The Butcher
Wammer
Aug 19, 2020
Sleaford
AKA
Peter Allison
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As the title suggests, in November 2020, is there such a thing as a simple a/v amp that has no bells and whistles on. I purely use a decent 5 .1, I have NO interest in anything else at all. I have an Anthem MRX520, but it went all wrong the other day, put simply the volume has been reversed ( the up is now showing down,  and vice versa) on both the remote and the volume pot on the amp. I have mailed Anthem tech, also my dealer. It was bought brand new in Feb 2019, and worked fine until I had to unplug everything and re plug it. 

I am looking for a new amp, as my faith in this one has been eroded

Thanks people

AlmaAtaKZ

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 29, 2012
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, it is almost impossible to find modern electronics that do not have the latest formats

peter the butcher

Peter The Butcher
Wammer
Aug 19, 2020
Sleaford
AKA
Peter Allison
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, it is almost impossible to find modern electronics that do not have the latest formats
Yes, that seems to be the case, this is why I went for the Anthem in the first place, as it was a no frills amp, and did what it said it would do, its just I have lost my faith in the product, hence looking for something that can do the same job. I do not use any of the usual  streaming suspects apart from the PC music library/Audivarna

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes find a simple av amp is well nigh impossible. they are pretty complex sometimes . as soon as one comes out then another with another bell and whsistle supercedes it   

manicatel

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2009
Herts/Essex border
AKA
matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me, a decent 5.1 or 5.2 system, well set up is good enough. I’ve heard 7.1, Atmos etc but I’m yet to be convinced it’s a major step up over a decent 5.1. Plus, how much Atmos content is actually out there? Not a massive amount really.

Quite a few reports of the newer Arcam AV amps having software glitches & it takes a very brave brand to purposely NOT include every latest facility on a new product range.  I just can’t see the major Japanese brands, Yamaha, Denon etc not including bells & whistles as marketing tools, even if some don’t see the point in them.

I would also guess that for a lot of people, a Sonos set up is easily good enough & more family friendly than a “proper” AV amp with speaker cables everywhere to contend with. So I wonder if decent AV is a shrinking market?

peter the butcher

Peter The Butcher
Wammer
Aug 19, 2020
Sleaford
AKA
Peter Allison
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me, a decent 5.1 or 5.2 system, well set up is good enough. I’ve heard 7.1, Atmos etc but I’m yet to be convinced it’s a major step up over a decent 5.1. Plus, how much Atmos content is actually out there? Not a massive amount really.

Quite a few reports of the newer Arcam AV amps having software glitches & it takes a very brave brand to purposely NOT include every latest facility on a new product range.  I just can’t see the major Japanese brands, Yamaha, Denon etc not including bells & whistles as marketing tools, even if some don’t see the point in them.

I would also guess that for a lot of people, a Sonos set up is easily good enough & more family friendly than a “proper” AV amp with speaker cables everywhere to contend with. So I wonder if decent AV is a shrinking market?
this is what I was thinking, and had a chat with the other half and a couple of hi fi friends, they all said just to get my pride and joy fixed, as it was just one of those things, and to get a good Dac, which I would not have been able to do, getting a new amp, and to be honest, I could not justify spending 2-2.5 grand on a new amp just for it to supply audio to centre and rears, as I have a power amp for front speakers

peter the butcher

Peter The Butcher
Wammer
Aug 19, 2020
Sleaford
AKA
Peter Allison
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How much is the repair?
I will find out when the amp goes back, BUT as its been well looked after, and when I unplugged and re plugged everything I was very very careful, sooooooo it should be carried out under warranty, as the unit is just over a year old, and the warranty is for 3 years

Reactions: philb36

philb36

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2007
biggin hill, Kent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thats what i meant! But! I would not be getting a arcam or a nad, they are very very flaky....i had a nad, sold it the new one doesn't sound any better!

peter the butcher

Peter The Butcher
Wammer
Aug 19, 2020
Sleaford
AKA
Peter Allison
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thats what i meant! But! I would not be getting a arcam or a nad, they are very very flaky....i had a nad, sold it the new one doesn't sound any better!
trouble is there are NO basic 5.2 amps out there for about the same budget

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles