Isobariks

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a pair from sometime last year to earlier this year, I have to say they are the best speakers I've owned:oops:they were the external X over model and I loved them, but they had to go due to money trouble, I was only driving them with a poxy nap140 as well
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif

I can onlyafford 2nd hand classic stuff, if I had more money to spend then maybe I could better them with a new pair, how much would I need to spend on a new pair to better them or get a similar sound?

And how would this system sound today compared to some of the newer stuff?

http://www.mickandviv.com/pfm/Isobarik_System.pdf

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Matt - I only ever heard them once on the back of a LP12/Ekos/Troika activelly driven through a series of Naim electronics (forget the actual designations but it was their best available at the time) at musical evening in Grahams in London about 1986. It completely changed my outlook - it was just brilliant. In fact it convinced me to never again go demos of equipment I wouldn't have the faintest chance of ever affording! My recollection was though that they were mares to drive so with no disrepect would imagine your 140 would struggle - certainly the 150x was not really comfortable with my Contour 1.8s at demo.

As to how they would compare with modern stuff - difficult? Budget? Reckon there's a whole host of better value options now - B/W, Dynas, PMC, Totem and loads more.

What are you pairing them with?

Mind you like the classic system in your link!Like the Revox! That system - providing the Linn was properly set - would still sound really good.

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
Leeds UK, ,
i like the briks, they're a hoot to listen to .. big and powerful .. it sounds like the musicians are inside the boxes
tongue.png
which is perfectly viable given their dimensions!

fine detail and soundstagingare inferior IMO .. compared to modern stuff

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Strat wrote:

so with no disrepect would imagine your 140 would struggle - certainly the 150x was not really comfortable with my Contour 1.8s at demo.
No worries, I agree it wasnt an ideal choice, but the speakers came up at the right price, and I knew if I didnt like them I could move them on without loss or even profit, but that left me unable to afford 3 x 250's or similarto listen to them proper so I was stuck with the 140, it made respectable noise though and I was happy enough to keep them after the first listen.

Knowing what I know now I wouldnt buy another pair without having sufficient amp'age, which wont be anytime soon unfortunately. I was just wondering what others thought about them hence the post, and whether there was a modern equivalent to consider? instead of hunting down another decent pair of briks if the time ever comes.

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
My friend grant has a pair with 6 Linn power amps, linn crossover, linn pre amp and a top spec LP12.

Absolutely marvelous, I was at woodstock listening to Jimi Hendrix without getting muddy
smile.png

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ant wrote:

My friend grant has a pair with 6 Linn power amps, linn crossover, linn pre amp and a top spec LP12.Absolutely marvelous, I was at woodstock listening to Jimi Hendrix without getting muddy
smile.png
Sounds awesome :cool:that is what I would do if I could afford another pair (and the amps lol)

Mr Perceptive

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2005
Northwich, Cheshire
Matt J

I wouldn't be surprised if your 205 monblocs didn't make a good job of driving Briks, Many people used 103s and 105s to succuessfully drive Briks and I'm sure my current 557 would make a good job. Meridian Power Amps have good current driving capabilities so should be fine.

Mr Perceptive

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
Lovely speakers so long as the amps have some muscle. Given the second hand value of around £500 there is little to touch them for scale and dynamics. A classic, along with the Kan and Sara.

rabidlistener

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2006
Brisbane, , Australi
AKA
Mike
Heard the Briks driven by the infamous Naim 6 pack system in the Naim demo room circa 1983 and it was one of the most god awful rows I have ever heard!! Many of the audience were hardened Linn/Naim anoracks and they were of a similar opinion. I guess the wind was blowing in the wrong direction or something.

Also a friend of mine bought a pair which he hooked up to his Naim 135's but he ended going back to his trusty Kans!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles