Graham Slee Solo

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Is the lack of replies because I let the cat out of the bag rather than doing a Dave?

Or do you all just hate me
tongue.png

The isolator is a nasty badly made piece of crap that makes my Hadcock look like an SME. It sounds different though, some things are like 'bloody hell' different. Will do a review in good time.

JonR

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2005
Herts
AKA
Unknown
Don't worry about it Ant, you could just be paranoid, or maybe everyone's just out to ignore you...! :green: :minikiev:

Anyway..ever so slightly OT, if I may, I have acquired something which may be of interest, and about which I may be asking you for the occasional spot of timely advice!

If all goes to plan the mystery item should arrive sometime next week, or being optimistic this coming weekend...

A clue..it isn't a new pair of speakers!

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Maplin
smile.png

they are bigger than they looked in the pic.

I'm going to start with them, and see what happens.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
my Kenwood cdp arrived today too - seems like there have been a lot of deliveries in the tent!

PS - looking forward to seeing how the output trannies are put into use - had you done any DIY (apart from passive pre) before starting this project?

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Biscuit wrote:

my Kenwood cdp arrived today too - seems like there have been a lot of deliveries in the tent!PS - looking forward to seeing how the output trannies are put into use - had you done any DIY (apart from passive pre) before starting this project?
I've built all sorts of crap as I did electronics at college and worked in the audio industry for a while
smile.png
Valves are new to me though.

JonR will be pleased
smile.png

G

God Ant are youlistening or tweaking or appraising at the moment.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

JonR

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2005
Herts
AKA
Unknown
murray johnson wrote:

JonR's bought a Spacedeck!
Yep - he did....briefly, but it's had to go back, on account its condition on arrival being somewhat less than the 100% advertised.Never mind.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Ant wrote:

Is the lack of replies because I let the cat out of the bag rather than doing a Dave?Or do you all just hate me ?

The isolator is a nasty badly made piece of crap that makes my Hadcock look like an SME. It sounds different though, some things are like 'bloody hell' different. Will do a review in good time.
well I did not reply because I knew
smile.png
(some of it)

JonR

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2005
Herts
AKA
Unknown
Hi murray,

The problem was that the platter gave the impression of swaying or rocking from side to side as it was spinning. The seller encouraged me to try and re-site it as he thought it probably wasn't sitting correctly on the bearing, but several attempts at this yielded the same result. I came to the conclusion that something must be wrong with the platter, more likely that the spindle had gone 'out of true'. I phoned Tony (Uncle Ants) who I know owns a Spacedeck and he asked me how it was packed, ie. was the platter in the bearing hole. I replied that it was. I can only imagine that the deck must have taken a pretty heavy knock in transithence the problem.

The other thingI noticed is that the platter itself was quite slim with only one damping ring on it, whereas PAG's Spacedeck clearly has a thicker platter with two damping rings. Tony told me, and this was confirmed by NA themselves when I rang them, that this a design change to the Spacedeck made three or years ago, which gave some clue as to the age of the deck.

FWIW I did set it up and played some LPs on it. The 'swaying' platter caused some very noticeable wow issues butgetting past that the deck didn't sound too bad at all, this bearing in mind thatI was using the supplied RB300 arm with the really shitty arm cable!The cart was a Grado Prestige Gold.

NA told me that it probably needed a new spindle which they could do for £95 + VAT. It was a possibility, as that apart the rest of the deck was in pretty good condition. The seller, to his credit, though dismayed at what had happened, as he insisted it was 100% right when it left him, was kind enough to offer me a full refund. I therefore decided on balance that the deck should go back.

However, the experience proved worthwhile, as I was left sufficiently impressed enough to consider buying a new one - for peace of mind as much as anything else!

JonR

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2005
Herts
AKA
Unknown
Yeah, he's sending the cheque this morning.

Having had two experiences now of buying what turned out ot be less-than-ideal-condition TTs online - off fleabay, natch - I can most certainly attest to what a gamble it is.

Next time I will buy off a dealer, after a proper dem, and will pay full price if necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles