Jeff Buckley Grace - does anybody else think it sucks?

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tons of posts here, there & everywhere singing this album's praises. I bought it last year following a heap of recommendations over on HifiChoice...but find it truly dire. Bland, middle of the road pap IMO. I'm soobviously wrong though! OKthe boycan sing but then so can Cliff Richard.

Has this album completely failed to register with anybody else or am I truly alone?
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

P

purplepleaser

It will be the sameif James Blunt meets with a tragic early death. Everyone will say what a great album he made.
biggrin.png

Lee:run:

G

Injector wrote:

Tons of posts here, there & everywhere singing this album's praises. I bought it last year following a heap of recommendations over on HifiChoice...but find it truly dire. Bland, middle of the road pap IMO. I'm soobviously wrong though! OKthe boycan sing but then so can Cliff Richard. Has this album completely failed to register with anybody else or am I truly alone?
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
Don't worry you will most definitely not be on your own. I rate it as my top album but its all about opinions. Let the flaming begin:p

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hooray! Someone's had the nerve to point out that the Emperor has no clothes!

This album is hideously over-rated IMO. MOR tedium all the way through. Worst cover of Hallelujah ever, as well.

G

meninblack wrote:

Hooray! Someone's had the nerve to point out that the Emperor has no clothes!This album is hideously over-rated IMO. MOR tedium all the way through. Worst cover of Hallelujah ever, as well.
:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao:

thommo

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2005
Essex, , United King
Well, I'm in the "It's alright, quite nice I suppose, but don't really see what all the fuss is about" camp.

Which is probably the equivalent of voting "Don't know"

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
meninblack wrote:

Hooray! Someone's had the nerve to point out that the Emperor has no clothes!This album is hideously over-rated IMO. MOR tedium all the way through. Worst cover of Hallelujah ever, as well.
Im with Bedspread on this, one of my top 10 albums.

MIB – have you ever heard Rufus Wainwrights version of Hallejuhah (murders it IMHO) and I am a huge RW fan, even KD Lang fails to get within 20 feet of Buckleys version on the 49th Parallel. Next up you chaps will be saying Corpus Christi Carol is pap too.

Infidels !!

G

cjr wrote:

meninblack wrote:

MIB – have you ever heard Rufus Wainwrights version of Hallejuhah (murders it IMHO) and I am a huge RW fan, even KD Lang fails to get within 20 feet of Buckleys version on the 49th Parallel. Next up you chaps will be saying Corpus Christi Carol is pap too.

Infidels !!
I knew you'd be along soon:dude:

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
cjr wrote:

meninblack wrote:

Infidels !!
I haven't heard the RW version, CJ. The kd lang is OK - better than Buckley anyhow - but for my money this song needs Cohen's dolorous tones to work.

Buckley's version sounds like Dustin Hofmann after being told to "play someone really, really anguished"
tongue.png

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
meninblack wrote:

cjr wrote:
meninblack wrote:

Infidels !!
I haven't heard the RW version, CJ. The kd lang is OK - better than Buckley anyhow - but for my money this song needs Cohen's dolorous tones to work.

Buckley's version sounds like Dustin Hofmann after being told to "play someone really, really anguished"
tongue.png
Lang version (as good as it is) Better than Buckleys ? Your insane ddue. Have you blind tested both tracks?

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
cjr wrote:

Lang version (as good as it is) Better than Buckleys ? Your insane ddue. Have you blind tested both tracks?
That's a tricky one. One of these tracks is being sung by a big ole rug-munching lezzer. Is it A or B? :lmao:

G

I've said this before on another thread- Grace is a grower, it's not a perfect album by any means, there are some moderate tracks but these are eclipsed by some of the finest contemporary songs released. Lover, You Should Have Come Over and Last Goodbye are superbly craftedand his vocal performances on the album are simply dazzling.

Grace deserves time and contemplation, it is a very fine work indeed and it matures as you pick up the nuances of the lyrics, get to grips with the unique vocal phrasing and appreciate the sheer talent on exhibit.

Listen to it again, give it a chance, it isn't throw away pop, it has meaning, depth and quality rarely heard.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was walking though Ashton Lane, Glasgow, a couple of years ago where a busker was doing a JB number. Very good I thought.

I quite like Grace. A couple of duff tracks but generally its a good album.

For a rock album, I reckon it lacks a little 'bite'.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
Leonard Smalls wrote:

It's all very well if you like buskers....
The word "buskers" should perhaps be encased in some sort of a spit smilie, perhaps :fluch:eek:r :td:would do.

Tis a bit wussy, though. Wimpy, perhaps. Or lacking even the merest soupcon of balls.

Y'all will be telling me you like that Jack Johnson cd next (though he's stuck on the Prozac rather than barbiturates!)

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
thommo wrote:

Well, I'm in the "It's alright, quite nice I suppose, but don't really see what all the fuss is about" camp.Which is probably the equivalent of voting "Don't know"
Pretty much my position too.

As for covers of Hallelujah - John Cale, from either Fragments of a Rainy Season or I'm Your Fan (not as lugubrious as Cohen, but
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
:^, IMO, natch).

And, as for "the lad has a good voice": check out Mark Mulcahy, especially Fathering, & his songs are better than Master Buckley's, again IMO, natch.

Boxer

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
It's regularly played at my place, probablywouldn't make my top 10 but would be well up there.

Leonard - I like In Between Dreams by Jack Johnson, great for chilling out to. I don't have any of his others though.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Leonard Smalls wrote:

Y'all will be telling me you like that Jack Johnson cd next (though he's stuck on the Prozac rather than barbiturates!)
Sorry Leonard I am a big JJ fan too :shock:as is Duvet, got all his stuff, yes laidback, but CDs you can have on repeat for hours, excellent recording quality, my fave is On & On, not that you’d like it of course.

FWIW Currently listening to Jamie Cullums latest opus Catching Tales, edgy, catchy & very nice musically may be worth a try to a few dudes here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online